• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
yall sleeping on

Doom_generation.jpg

51TDG6W3NJL._AC_SY445_.jpg

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
There's too many boomers in 80s John Hughes films so I'd probably pick something from the early-mid 90s like Trainspotting.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
E.T. is up there for me. White suburbanite kids playing D&D and having care-free-roam of the entire area on their bikes. Single, working mother having no idea the trouble her children are getting in to. Goonies too, sure, but E.T. really nails it. I never really thought about this vibe until Stranger Things brought me back to it.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
These are all good but I think Do the Right Thing and Friday need to be included as well.

Oh and Selina.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost World
It also happens to be the best comic adaptation too.
MV5BNWYwODRlYjgtODUxNy00YmMyLWE3NWYtNTYzZmUwNDJiZGVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR88,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Clerks and Slacker as well

Last edited:

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
They are a bit earlier in the 80s and I struggle with including them, but movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Valley Girl also tie into that MTV culture that is associated with Gen X.

and since I brought up Valley Girl, the film Clueless fits in too, perhaps even more so considering it's mid 90s.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are a bit earlier in the 80s and I struggle with including them, but movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Valley Girl also tie into that MTV culture that is associated with Gen X.

and since I brought up Valley Girl, the film Clueless fits in too, perhaps even more so considering it's mid 90s.
Ah...I remember that one

Udlc.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
51lRfCgvOWL._AC_.jpg

It doesn`t get more 90s than that:

6932365cb43ae4c97713f33ca5608b3e.jpg
Club Interviewer: Now, a song like "Touch Me, I'm Dick" is about... what?
Cliff Poncier: Well, I think "Touch Me, I'm Dick," in essence, speaks for itself, you know. I think that, you know, that's basically what the song is, um... about... is about, you know... I-I think a lot of people might think it's actually about, you know, "My name is Dick, and, you know, you can touch me," but, I think, you know, it can be seen either way.

I'm not really sure if Almost Famous or Singles is Cameron Crowe's best film, but Singles is definitely underrated.

EDIT: Also...

51W2KTK97PL._SY445_.jpg

Kicking_and_screaming_DVD_349.jpg

That last one is probably the one I most relate to :/

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Swingers for me. As a young adult in the '90s I related to this movie the most, down to the cringy voice mails scene and playing NHL on Sega Genesis.

f5vLlBe.jpg

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Mall Rats definitely captures that "lets hangout at the mall" aspect that was a slice of 50-90s America that is utterly gone now, along with the usual no cell phones, importance of driving cars, etc.
Clerks the angsty "my life is shit" feeling but I think every teenage generation has that.
Fight Club the "Its our turn to change the world" but again, most generations share that.

my pick imo would be Wall Street, it captures the "fuck everything, Greed is Good, lets make money and do anything we want" that Wolf of Wall Street recaptures for a later generation. also Trump is in Wall Streets sequel, lol

Restored

Oct 27, 2017
It's john hughes movies - I'm not sure all this mid 90s stuff is coming from as I thought millennials started in the mid 80s

Ferris bueler
St elmo's fire
Sixteen candles
Breakfast club
Pretty in Pink

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It's john hughes movies - I'm not sure all this mid 90s stuff is coming from as I thought millennials started in the mid 80s

Ferris bueler
St elmo's fire
Sixteen candles
Breakfast club
Pretty in Pink

I always felt St. Elmo's Fire was more of a Boomer/GenX borderline flick. They were supposed to be 20-something college graduates in the 80s, while the other films were firmly high school movies in the Gen X range.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Before Sunrise

and Slacker

Basically any movie by Linklater is a gen x film, because the most gen X thing you can possibly do is ramble, slightly stoned, some nonsense about the Man keeping you down and doing roughly nothing about it. Charming but naive

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Gen X encapsulates people born between 1965 and 1980. That 15 year spread makes it almost impossible to name a definitive Gen X movie. For those who were teens in the 1980s, it will be something like Breakfast Club or Heathers. For those who were teens in the 1990s, it will be something else.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it Wayne's World?

K9AYQYG.jpg
Ooh, that one's an interesting example. One that demonstrates a severe cultural rift between Early Gen-X and Late Gen-X.

"Rock" youth culture of that type was huge in the 1980s, but it really was a holdover from the late boomer years of the 1970s. Youth were so desperate for their own identity, without knowing it, that when Nirvana and the whole grunge scene hit in the 1990s it obliterated the whole rock culture Wayne's World was built upon. This movie has similar qualities as Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure in its underlying culture in that the whole "party time! excellent!" theme became gauche shortly after release.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Gen X encapsulates people born between 1965 and 1980. That 15 year spread makes it almost impossible to name a definitive Gen X movie. For those who were teens in the 1980s, it will be something like Breakfast Club or Heathers. For those who were teens in the 1990s, it will be something else.
The way I see it, Gen X defining movies can fall anywhere between Star Wars in 1977 and American Pie in 1999. The first Star Wars was the first real cultural phenomenon for Gen X kids, and American Pie, while it borders on Millennials coming of age(the kids depicted in the film are born around 1980), is really the last original movie to feature the characterizations of Gen X teenagers set in the present time.

I don't know, the actual borders are so muddy.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
This post gets it. Always felt there's gen x1 and x2.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, Gen X defining movies can fall anywhere between Star Wars in 1977 and American Pie in 1999. The first Star Wars was the first real cultural phenomenon for Gen X kids, and American Pie, while it borders on Millennials coming of age(the kids depicted in the film are born around 1980), is really the last original movie to feature the characterizations of Gen X teenagers set in the present time.

This really captures something I've always felt about American Pie versus Harold & Kumar, but couldn't articulate as well as this. American Pie is capturing Gen-X teenagers/young adults on film.

Like the Harold & Kumar writers, I grew up in a Jersey town that felt equal parts Italian/Irish Catholic, Jewish, Asian, and Indian.

When I was 13-14 and watching a movie like American Pie, it felt like an wildly outdated "Old Person" belief of what high school and college in America was like. When Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle came out five years later, I loved the damn movie so much. H&K felt modern and relatable to me in a way that American Pie didn't, which instead felt like some 80s "nerds and jocks (and everyone's white) hijinx LOL" nonsense.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, that one's an interesting example. One that demonstrates a severe cultural rift between Early Gen-X and Late Gen-X.

"Rock" youth culture of that type was huge in the 1980s, but it really was a holdover from the late boomer years of the 1970s. Youth were so desperate for their own identity, without knowing it, that when Nirvana and the whole grunge scene hit in the 1990s it obliterated the whole rock culture Wayne's World was built upon. This movie has similar qualities as Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure in its underlying culture in that the whole "party time! excellent!" theme became gauche shortly after release.
And yet despite all that it has aged quite well and had a big cultural impact.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

Ferris bueler
St elmo's fire
Sixteen candles
Breakfast club
Pretty in Pink

This post gets it. Always felt there's gen x1 and x2.

All very interesting. Gen X would encompass teenage hippies to yuppies all the way up to grunge (for the late Gen-Xers). Definitely a difficult, if not impossible, question.

I'd almost roll with something 90s simply because the letter X is found in the word EXTREME! So Clerks. (That's how it works, right?)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think for young gen-x's, like born late 70s, Reality Bites or Clueless are both in there. Like if you were a 16 year old when Clueless came out, that movie was like peak high school experience.

Similar with Millennials I think you need to break it down because it's a big generation:

Old Gen X (Late 40s to early 50s): Breakfast Club or St. Elmo's Fire

Middle Gen X (mid to later 40s): Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Young Gen X (early 40s today): Reality BItes or Clueless

If St. Elmos Fire was your "peak high school movie" I think you'd have a hard time identifying with Clueless or Reality Bites. And likewise, if Clueless was your "peak high school movie" then you'd probably think of Breakfast Club as, like, a movie you liked when you were in 5th or 6th grade on cable reruns TBS, or rainy Saturday afternoon on UPN.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off seems to bridge the generation. Old Gen X'ers probably still like it because it just seems a little more grown up than Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles. Young Gen X'ers think of it as a classic.

Another I might throw out there that hasn't gotten mentioned is Adventures in Babysitting. Again I think this probably resonates more with young gen'xers... Like someone who would have been 10 or 11 when the movie came out or came on VHS.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Empire Records for me 100%.

It's got plaid. It's got chokers. It's got apathetic teens. It's got an evil record exec corporate slimeball.

It's everything Gen X loves!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For me, it was Fight Club. It really resonated with me.

Before that? Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Um, my age pretty much lined up with the protagonists of both movies, so that had something to do with it.