• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just reminded of Channel 58 in another thread. Their videos still freak me out. Theres of course the classic Zelda Majoras Mask one. This one where it was I think Kramer from Seinfeld on the phone with Jerry burning to death in the Twin Towers still comes to mind. Any stand outs come to mind? Of course most of it is shit.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Marble Hornets is nuts.

There was one that really scared me in high school, Candle Cove, but I remember reading it later and not thinking it was that great

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
The one which inspired two girls to almost murder their friend to get to his magic castle in the forest gets my vote.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gateway of the Mind
In 1983, a team of deeply pious scientists conducted a radical experiment in an undisclosed facility. The scientists had theorized that a human without access to any senses or ways to perceive stimuli would be able to perceive the presence of God. They believed that the five senses clouded our awareness of eternity, and without them, a human could actually establish contact with God by thought. An elderly man who claimed to have "nothing to left to live for" was the only test subject to volunteer. To purge him of all his senses, the scientists performed a complex operation in which every sensory nerve connection to the brain was surgically severed. Although the test subject retained full muscular function, he could not see, hear, taste, smell, or feel. With no possible way to communicate with or even sense the outside world, he was alone with his thoughts.

Scientists monitored him as he spoke aloud about his state of mind in jumbled, slurred sentences that he couldn't even hear. After four days, the man claimed to be hearing hushed, unintelligible voices in his head. Assuming it was an onset of psychosis, the scientists paid little attention to the man's concerns.

Two days later, the man cried that he could hear his dead wife speaking with him, and even more, he could communicate back. The scientists were intrigued, but were not convinced until the subject started naming dead relatives of the scientists. He repeated personal information to the scientists that only their dead spouses and parents would have known. At this point, a sizable portion of scientists left the study.

After a week of conversing with the deceased through his thoughts, the subject became distressed, saying the voices were overwhelming. In every waking moment, his consciousness was bombarded by hundreds of voices that refused to leave him alone. He frequently threw himself against the wall, trying to elicit a pain response. He begged the scientists for sedatives, so he could escape the voices by sleeping. This tactic worked for three days, until he started having severe night terrors. The subject repeatedly said that he could see and hear the deceased in his dreams.

Only a day later, the subject began to scream and claw at his nonfunctional eyes, hoping to sense something in the physical world. The hysterical subject now said the voices of the dead were deafening and hostile, speaking of hell and the end of the world. At one point, he yelled "No heaven, no forgiveness" for five hours straight. He continually begged to be killed, but the scientists were convinced that he was close to establishing contact with God.

After another day, the subject could no longer form coherent sentences. Seemingly mad, he started to bite off chunks of flesh from his arm. The scientists rushed into the test chamber and restrained him to a table so he could not kill himself. After a few hours of being tied down, the subject halted his struggling and screaming. He stared blankly at the ceiling as teardrops silently streaked across his face. For two weeks, the subject had to be manually rehydrated due to the constant crying. Eventually, he turned his head and, despite his blindness, made focused eye contact with a scientist for the first time in the study. He whispered "I have spoken with God, and he has abandoned us" and his vital signs stopped. There was no apparent cause of death.

This is my personal favourite.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I never read a ton; was into the short scary stories (IIRC) subreddit for a bit but that was mainly because most were so bad that they were funny.

I always liked "It Tries The Door At Night", though.

...which I'm having trouble finding to link? I guess that's what I get for liking something with a generic title. Hmm. Found a tweet mentioning it, at least, so I think I have the title right...

EDIT: ugh, can't find it anywhere; spent like 30 minutes looking too

kinda sucks that the sheer amount of "suddenly, a creepy door" type stories seem to have buried any chance of finding it

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
An effective one I actually just heard for the first time recently was read dramatically on a great creepypasta podcast called Creepy. It was called: When Science Found God

I knew it got me when I really was trying to guess what the last words at the end were.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm always so sad that these literally never ever have good endings. Like show some restraint haha

Except ted the caver! That one's great

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There was a good one about a guy's moldy walls but I can barely remember. Also a good caving one but again I barely remember it, maybe other know them.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
This was terrible and a waste of time.

Because it wasn't a creepypasta. The guy was just streaming an abandoned mmo and playing up the "spook" factor and someone decided to fuck with him. In the context of the full stream it was pretty unexpected but it was clear Vinny was just playing along.

Anyway, the most effective creepypasta to me is probably "My dad finally told me what happened that day." It goes on for several chapters but it keeps the mysteries interesting and believable and ends right where it should. The nosleep podcast did a really good reading of it if anyone's interested.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
There was a good one about a guy's moldy walls but I can barely remember. Also a good caving one but again I barely remember it, maybe other know them.

Ted the caver as mentioned above is the cave one. Not sure what the moldy walls one is but would be interested to read it if someone knows.

I love reading these when they are good. Some of the better ones I know are:
The Dionaea House - This was originally on it's own blog site but it seems to be down now but you can read the whole thing through a wiki. It's a bit of a rabbit hole and there are multiple related blogs.

The Gideon Keys - This is one of my favorites. It's kind of like SCP. The premise is that someone found a notebook containing 200 "keys" found around Alberta, Canada and began posting them online 1 by 1, which are collected on the site. Keys are described as "quite simply one such "roadside horror" or "urban attraction" of a magickal or occult nature". There are some cool relations to the keys and set of loosly connected characters and story bits too as you read. This is a fun one I don't see mentioned often.

I also used to read a ton of /r/nosleep which as a plethora of great short stories.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Ted the caver as mentioned above is the cave one. Not sure what the moldy walls one is but would be interested to read it if someone knows.

I love reading these when they are good. Some of the better ones I know are:
The Dionaea House - This was originally on it's own blog site but it seems to be down now but you can read the whole thing through a wiki. It's a bit of a rabbit hole and there are multiple related blogs.

The Gideon Keys - This is one of my favorites. It's kind of like SCP. The premise is that someone found a notebook containing 200 "keys" found around Alberta, Canada and began posting them online 1 by 1, which are collected on the site. Keys are described as "quite simply one such "roadside horror" or "urban attraction" of a magickal or occult nature". There are some cool relations to the keys and set of loosly connected characters and story bits too as you read. This is a fun one I don't see mentioned often.

I also used to read a ton of /r/nosleep which as a plethora of great short stories.
The Dionaea House is a great pick! I always go back to it whenever I remember it.
THE DOOR IS OPEN
is such a memorable beat and still creeps me out when I say it to myself.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I was just reminded of Channel 58 in another thread. Their videos still freak me out. Theres of course the classic Zelda Majoras Mask one. This one where it was I think Kramer from Seinfeld on the phone with Jerry burning to death in the Twin Towers still comes to mind. Any stand outs come to mind? Of course most of it is shit.

Link to the Seinfeld one?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's that one that is a oblivion mod where all npcs are dead, there's a door closed, and a creature that follows the character in-game and the person writing it basically goes insane, I forgot the name about this one, it's pretty cool.

There's one that was AMAZING with the exception of the ending where it all goes to shit, the NES Godzilla Creepypasta (http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta)

It's a really long read, but worth it, the suspense is amazing and the person's writing is pretty good, unfortunately it all goes to shit in the final chapters, but it's still worth it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, maybe this is generalizing too much, but: a lot of them that originate from nosleep just run on and on because people praised them, don't they? I get the feeling that many of those sorta ruin whatever they had going from them by continuing for too long, when the advantage the medium has to begin with is that because they're so short, you don't need to actually have the premise hold up beyond that one effective haunting moment/realization at the end. I even ended up reading a couple while looking for that one I remembered yesterday, and then saw comments like "oh actually it's tied to like 4 other multipart series this guy did, it's amazing" when the writing itself wasn't exactly spectacular... So I have to imagine at some point, a summary might capture the interesting bits more than actually reading them would.

But I say that as a weird person who reads summaries of horror movies voraciously while never watching any myself, so.

(...and now I find myself curious about those other parts, which is probably bad.)

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
There's that one that is a oblivion mod where all npcs are dead, there's a door closed, and a creature that follows the character in-game and the person writing it basically goes insane, I forgot the name about this one, it's pretty cool.

There's one that was AMAZING with the exception of the ending where it all goes to shit, the NES Godzilla Creepypasta (http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta)

It's a really long read, but worth it, the suspense is amazing and the person's writing is pretty good, unfortunately it all goes to shit in the final chapters, but it's still worth it.

You're thinking of a Morrowind creepypasta, one of my favourites as I was 1) Big into Morrowind when I read it and 2) Suffering from crippling insomnia.

It's not even good, but here it is: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Jvk1166z.esp

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

I was going to mention the Godzilla one. Not sure if it holds up but I remember the monstrosity giving me legitimate chills. Then again, these sort of things get to me way too easily.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Creepypasta has always never been my thing but 1999 was a really cool one before it prematurely shat the bed.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
The lost spongebob ep where squidward kills himself and there's pictures of dead people in between frames or something.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There's a good creepy one about never going up stairs from ruins you find in the woods. Not much happens, just one of those stories that keeps you from ever doing it.