• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CWoj3bZ.jpg

ab2bcae272b92e80ac81bba9a305ce5ce617a800r1-920-552v2_hq.jpg

Generations 6 and 7 saw a decline in the number of new Pokemon that were introduced. We went from 156 new Pokemon introduced in Gen 5 to less than a 100 each in Gen 6 and 7.

My question is, was this acceptable to you? And why/why not, if so? Is a lower amount of new Pokemon with new generations something you can abide by?

Personally, I was and am fine with a lower number of new Pokemon, if they are handled like Gens 6 and 7. The reasons is, the average quality of Pokemon designs in Gens 6 and 7 was fantastic. Some of the best and most imaginative Pokemon designs - Aegislash, Mimikyu, Wishiwashi, Greninja, Talonflame, Incineroar, Xerneas, Tyrantrum - came froms Gens 6 and 7. A lower number of new Pokemon to be designed led to a higher quality per individual design. Conversely, something like Gen 4 or Gen 5, both of which had over a 100 new designs, saw a lot of fluff, filler, and low quality monsters. I'd take (high) quality with (still a decent) quantity over (high) quantity and (variable) quality.

Then you consider that we are now nearing 1,000 new Pokemon, and there's only so many creature designs you can have - at some point, it makes sense that new additions to the Pokedex begin to slow down. You consider that these new generations have also had some neat design twists on older generation Pokemon, and on the whole, I think that if Sword/Shield also added around 80 or so new Pokemon, but higher quality designs, and with some cool new takes on older monsters, I would be fine with it all around.

But what about you? Are you okay with a (somewhat) lower number of new Pokemon per generation?

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Considering how many Pokemon we have in total now, I'd be fine even if they introduced zero new ones (which will probably never happen) and just focused on making a cool region and an awesome game.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm loving the lower numbers added really, with some remixes of the old. Really don't mind at all at this point where I'm starting to get difficulty remembering them all.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the least important thing to me is how many new Pokemon they add. 0 would be fine.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I think Sun and Moon had a good number of new monsters I just wish there weren't so many Ultra Beasts.

As long as we continue to get new regional forms every generation I'm happy to get less than 100 brand new Pokemon.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I understand all of the points you are making.

However, part of me really wants to see another Pokemon game where every single Pokemon is new.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I could live without any new additions to the base roster. I want more significant changes made to the single player, and all the boredom that goes into setting up your multiplayer squad.

Breeding is lame and gating strats n more suped up versions of the pokemon you want behind that shit is mega lame.

Let's speed up the process for me to actually build my team with my crew max IV, nature I want, and EVs n moves I want.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely be cool with smaller numbers and higher quality.

I feel like there have got to be at least like 25 though. Any less than that and it wouldn't really feel like a new dex.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
70-100 new mons seems like a sweet spot.
I remember reading that GF counts Alola forms as new Pokémon, so we got quite a lot in S/M.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 7 had the best designs since Gen 4, so I'm ok with it as long as the new ones take the spotlight over the old ones, which I felt like SM did a better job at than XY where old Pokémon being everywhere made it much harder to bump into the new ones.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
75 is the low for me. I just hope they don't add over 20 Legendaries/Mythicals like last gen.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
We're never getting 100+ Pokémon again, unless they make a soft reboot like BW. Seems like we're getting 70ish new pokemon moving forward + a new mechanic/transformation. Personally, I prefer quality over quantity.

MetalKnick

Oct 31, 2017
I think it really depends on execution and how the Pokémon are implemented.

If it's like Black and White, then I would expect a lot since there's no old Pokémon in the game (until postgame).

If it's like X/Y and S/M, then a smaller amount would be okay since Pokemon from all generations are sprinkled in.

With that said, I don't think we'll ever get a game like B/W ever again, so I'd be fine with like 50-60 new ones.

I'd like a 100 baseline. The best part the start of a new gen is seeing new Pokemon and I hate how Gens 6 and 7 drastically toned that down in lieu of pandering to Generation 1. I feel like it handicaps a huge part of a new region's identity. I don't buy the idea that a lower amount of new Pokemon increases the overall design quality because the people who write [new gen]'s designs as being trash are just as loud as ever.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I take more pokemon pls, ideally over 100.

But I'll be fine with 88 pokemon like Sun/Moon, provided 15 of them arent legendaries, I guess.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind having fewer Pokemons as long as the designs are good and the Pokemons are at least on par with the older mons. I love most of the X&Y designs and they had less than 100 new Pokemons.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I would be okay with only a few. With almost 1000, I think there is a lot of novelty to be gained from just distributing them differently.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say 100 is a nice spot. 80 new, 20 new forms/regional variants.

I think what needs to change more is less of an emphasis on legendaries and event Pokémon.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like 100 for each gen. 150 everytime there's a huge generational leap.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The more the merrier is my stance. If it has to be a smaller amount like the last two gens, I'd at least want a lot of them to be usable, non-garbagemon.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree that a reduction in quantity ups the quality. Gen V had the highest amount of new Pokémon and imo a ton of great designs.
Gen VII has quite a lot of designs I don't care much for on the other hand. From my perspective Gen V has a higher ratio of good designs than Gen VII despite the much higher quantity in Gen V.

To answer OPs question I've come to terms with a lower number of new Pokémon even though I still think ~100 is the perfect amount for a new generation. I just hope the new Pokémon get the spotlight in their own native region and don't have to play second fiddle to older Pokémon

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I was perfectly fine with X&Y's quantity, so maybe a bit less than that. I'd actually like less Mythical/Legendary Pokemon as I feel like they've gotten a little excessive as of late.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I don't want to be constantly oversaturated with new Pokemon so basically just keep doing what they've done for 2 generations now and I'm all set. Black and White had a large proportion of shitty Pokemon but would have definitely exceeded the last 2 generations if they only used their 80 best ones.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind smaller gens. Gen VI didn't add a whole lot of them, but they are also one of the best designs in the series. Same goes for Gen VII. I honestly think Gen V was overkill, though I guess it being a soft reboot of sorts was the point. It's not the strongest gen design-wise.
They should double down on the regional variants. Just give some love to other gens as well, instead of focusing on Kanto again.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The smaller number is compensated with Megas and Alolan forms, which help to alleviate the absolute number of Pokémon but gives new designs and playable possibilities.

It is a good strategy.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the more the better but I think at an absolute minimum say 50ish? As long as that was padded by a bunch of regional forms, I really hope they continue with them.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I would love if they did more regional variants like Alola did... except more than just 10 families.
Regional variants is the way to go imo.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
I want moooore iike 80-100. New pokemon are my favorite thing about a new gen.

To answer OPs question I've come to terms with a lower number of new Pokémon even though I still think ~100 is the perfect amount for a new generation. I just hope the new Pokémon get the spotlight in their own native region and don't have to play second fiddle to older Pokémon
I agree. I prefer for them to focus on the new pokemon in a new region over the older ones.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
70-85 is a good number. Good enough for variety and for them to not be overwhelmed at creature-making.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I generally like more, but I think Alola had some of the best designs overall, so I'll accept a smaller number if they can maintain quality and originality.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need at least 100+, the "
a smaller amount, but higher quality of designs?"
assertion is a lie.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Um I need them to go crazy again for a generation. Gen 3 and 5 were my favourites. I'm alright if we get a smaller generation again, but only if there's variants or something similar to make up for it. I also don't think the quality of Gen 5 was lacking aside from the starters and legendaries. I think they could pull it off.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I want at least 100 new ones. Megas or Alolan forms don't count. Frankly I was very disappointed in the decline of new Pokémon, and the paltry number of Alolan forms don't do it for me. Additionally, I think Megas robbed some Pokémon of actual evolutions (i.e Manectric, Houndoom), and should have only been reserved as a stage 4 form.

Deleted member 12509

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catching new Pokemon for my living dex was one of my favorite memories of Pokemon so I would be in favor of more Pokemon being added then Gen 6 and 7. I'm fine with new forms "padding" out the actual number, as long as I can catch them and display them in the PC.

I hate not being able to have Ultra Necrozma and Zygarde Complete in the PC :(