• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Metroid Dread again today to test out the Rookie/One Shot modes and was annoyed that I couldn't skip the opening cutscenes.

That made me think, "I wonder what the longest opening to a game is before you can actually play it?"

Well…what is it? Things like pressing start or changing in-game settings don't count obviously.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Yakuza 6 was quite long because it recaps Yakuza 5 and shows all the characters on a beach, in a dream.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Pokemon Sun/Moon, takes like an hour to get your first Pokemon and actually battle anything. They're near unreplayable for me due to that.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt DQ7 notoriously long

Edit - Oh wait, until you can actually hit buttons idk then

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Haven't played any in a while so I don't remember, but Metal Gear Solid seems like a franchise that'd pull this sort of stuff. Then again, they really tended more to have final cutscenes that were basically full-length movies rather than frontload anything...

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Uhhh hrmmm

Assassins creed 3 opening was 3 hours long sooo

that

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I recall Xenosaga 1 lasting so long in the opening cutscene that my wife had to leave the room on my last attempt to play it with her.

Apr 24, 2018
I recall Xenosaga 1 lasting so long in the opening cutscene that my wife had to leave the room on my last attempt to play it with her.
I came into this thread to say that I remember a friend saying that one of the Xenosaga openings took forever. I always put off playing those games and never got around to them, myself.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 2 felt like the Roxas opening was eight hours long. I'm sure it was shorter, and it's important to the plot, but still.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah it depends on what you consider "actually play it". Persona 4 has been mentioned a few times and it's like... three hours of guided prologue. But there IS gameplay within that prologue so I don't know if that counts. Same to Kingdom Hearts II and Xenosaga. Those games have LONG opening segments but there's walking around and tutorial battles and stuff. Gameplay is happening.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2, because I don't consider any of the controllable portions of the first few hours to be playing anything of value.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's def GoW3

I remember cuz I chose the wrong difficulty and had to restart it twice

You CANNOT skip the intro video, took fucking forever

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't count with what OP is determining, but the opening for MGS5 is soo slow. Just terrible in replays.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I came into this thread to say that I remember a friend saying that one of the Xenosaga openings took forever. I always put off playing those games and never got around to them, myself.

Yeah, that's not to disparage it. I played (only the first one) back in high school and loved it, and just wanted to play it again with the wife since she's never seen it. I just......forgot about the length of the cutscene lol

We weren't expecting an entire anime-episode length with credits rolling as people floated through space and Kosmos getting booted up XD

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Metal Gear have an opening where you just watch Snake smoke cigarettes for a while? My memory sucks.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 2, because I don't consider any of the controllable portions of the first few hours to be playing anything of value.
Boring perhaps, but doesn't fit the actual question...when do you get to actually PLAY...not when do you get interested.

If that were the question, I'm sure there's games out there that are a dozen hours before they get good.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not the longest but ME3 feels like an eternity before you are given direct control (even longer before you actually get to choose where to go.

Okami was definitely up there.

Honestly anything where you can't skip cutscenes is pretty painful.

I had forgotten how eternal Monster Hunter World feels.

I appreciate that those cutscenes take time and effort but the option to skip should be mandatory imo.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
With absolutely zero input from the player? Daikatana has a 10 minute cutscene to start the game, and it's not even an interesting one. It's even worse if you play the N64 version, which is like three or so minutes longer than the PC version.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
It has to be MGS4. Persona 4 is probably close but I'm sure you don't even move snake until multiple 20 minute cutscenes.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 had the in-universe TV channels you could flip through for a few minutes, followed by a cutscene followed by gameplay where you walk for a few seconds followed by more cutscenes.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing recent, but I remember FFXIII-2 opening being super long with bunch of stuff happening providing you zero context. It was terrible. Thankfully the game isn't as bad.