• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I was having really bad trouble with Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne, so I got someone else in to help me. I always struggle with the initial boss in these games... and help me they did, but as they landed the killing blow, I died... but the victory counted.

It was so unrewarding.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Pushing Destiny's Atheon (Vault of Glass) off a cliff with solar grenades. Also sniping Rakkat (Maw of Lorkaj) in Elder Scrolls Online. On both occasions, I felt unclean afterwards.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple raid bosses in Destiny have been cheesed by falling off a cliff. I never did the crota network cable glitch but that's a noteworthy one.
Borderlands crawmerax cliff spot.
In Ratchet & Clank 2 I always use a tank bot to kill that one giant robot boss
In Ratchet & Clank 3 I've done a wrench only run so all those bosses.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
False King with arrows through the fog gate, I have no shame.

I was just about to mention this one. Absolutely disgusting way to win, but I'll take it.

Honorable mentions: Mortal Kombat SNES had a glitch in the game logic where the CPU would simply fail to block jump kicks done from a specific distance.

You can double flawless victory every single opponent in the game Goro included this way.

Double Dragon NES had a glitch in mission 2 where the stage boss (Chin) can be defeated just by going back down the ladder used to reach him. The game despawns him and registers him as killed. I don't know *anyone* who beats this guy legitimately.

Blaster Master NES has a glitch that works on numerous bosses- throw a grenade at the boss and pause the game. It will register the boss being hit by grenades continuously through the pause. Weirdly Mega Man 1 has a similar glitch using the Elec Beam.

About 2 casts of the healing spell will kill the final boss (!!!) of FF mystic quest, granting that game the all time title of easiest RPG ever. It's not even a glitch. This was definitely intentional.

Not really a "glitch" but the nihopalaoa in FFXII is hilariously broken and trivializes a good chunk of the hunts, bosses, and higher level regular enemies if a player understands what it does. That item reverses the effect of any items used by the wearer. It appears nigh useless (because healing potions now damage you) but a Remedy thrown by someone wearing that thing (assuming they've unlocked remedy lore 1,2, and 3) will immediately inflict Poison/Slow/Blind/Silence/Sleep/Sap/Immobilize/Disable/Petrify/Confuse/Oil/Stop/Doom/Disease simultaneously AND it will hit the target successfully 100% of the time as items can't be evaded.

The "Trickster" hunt becomes incredibly easy with this trick, as that boss (usually difficult to hit and locate) becomes immobilized immediately allowing the party to devastate it at leisure.

The niho will also turn Phoenix Down into unavoidable one hit kill items for anything not immune to Death.

It becomes less useful in the endgame as most serious threats have heavy status immunity but you'll cruise through 2/3 of that game until then.

Last edited:

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Breath of the Wild: Beat several Hinox by having them chase me around a tree or obstruction, swiping at the back of their legs when they turned their backs...

Not a glitch, but still so disgraceful lol

And the classic Mega Man 1 boss that disintegrates into blocks, then flies across the screen... I used the "pause game while shooting" glitch.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
8716.jpg

I beat this guy in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night by repeatedly doing Alucard's teleport/dash slash special move over and over and over on his ankle.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Taurus Demon, Dark Souls 1. I rolled off the edge of the bridge and he followed me. I ended up dying on the way back and didn't even get the souls.

It was sad.

Oct 28, 2017
The second episode boss in Blood is laughably unintimidating to begin with—a spider only slightly larger than the game's regular spiders, and with no attacks except to send smaller spiders after you—but after accidentally killing myself a couple of times with the napalm launcher I settled on the successful strategy of luring it to a body of water elsewhere in the level. Spiders in the water are barely mobile and seemingly incapable of attacking, so they were just sitting ducks from that point on.

Oct 28, 2017
blaster_master_crab_2.png

In Blaster Master on NES. If you pause the game during a registered hit on any boss the hit repeats infinitely until you unpause the game. Basically if you hit the boss, its a one hit kill.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I beat the final boss in Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest by healing it twice and then maybe hitting it a couple of times.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
I caught a really nice glitch before the Glutton Train that made Miriam fall through the floor. Zangetsu beat the boss all by himself with zero participation from me.

blaster_master_crab_2.png

In Blaster Master on NES. If you pause the game during a registered hit on any boss the hit repeats infinitely until you unpause the game. Basically if you hit the boss, its a one hit kill.

Not on every boss. Only like half of them.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it was the...Darkmoon boss? Or gwyndolin or something? The one in Dark Souls 1 where you fight down a long hallway.

Spent many minutes pelting it with poison arrows from a distance

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered one. I beat Saiki in Kof XIII by spamming Yuri's running grab-and-slap move. If the boss can be bullshit, I can be bullshit right back.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This has probably been mentioned, but I will never forget the time I used the "Revive" menu command in Final Fantasy VIII on the boss in the desert area. I expected it to do a fair bit of damage, maybe, but instead it one-shotted the boss on the first turn of combat for zero magic/item/resource cost. Ridiculous.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
The optional (secret?) giant boss in SotN I just crouched on the stairs and poked him with a knife for five minutes until he died. He never even moved to attack me

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Desann in Jedi Outcast. He got stuck next to a pillar by some glitch, and he just started slashing around with his lightsaber. After a few hits the pillar collapsed and killed him.