• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think the Radiance look me 4 hours to beat. My playtime was 36 hours when I got to him, and just over 40 when I beat it

After an hour I had the first boss down to a science, and could annihilate it in 60 seconds, before trying to beat the true boss again. It was a grind but I think it was worth it

It's def a really hard boss though
I don't do well with bullet hells, if it was more like every other fight in the game I wouldn't have felt so oppressed by it.

I don't remember there being any other encounters in the game that would help build up to the Radiance. Also I was about the same play time as you and I was SUPER ready for the game to be over lol

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Dark Souls 3. Had more trouble with that game than Souls 1 and Sekiro, honestly.

It would probably be Celeste but I haven't finished it yet.

Edit: The top spot could also be Hollow Knight. I haven't done Godmaster, else that would likely easily take the win.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The end is nigh final moments are really insane indeed, it's probably up there on the hardest games i finished, no doubt.

Finished nes TMNT but on emulator with some save states, don't think it counts haha same with the La-Mulana games, where i used guides for some parts.

Arc Rise Fantasia is probably the hardest turn based rpg i finished. It made stuff like Nocturne feeling easy in comparison. But i also never finished a SaGa game, as it's a really difficulty series imo.

But in general, it's hard to think about something really that harder than The end is nigh, that i finished.

I really wanted to say Cave Story with the true final dungeon, but i can't beat it :'(

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda II, last summer.

AND I did it without using save states, a walkthrough, video tutorials, anything like that!

okay that second part is a lie

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Sekiro based on people's experiences here.

Or 100% completion of KH2 on Critical. Every secret boss, every optional challenge.

Call of Duty: World At War on Veteran. So many grenades. Took me two days to get past Heart of the Reich.

If we're counting hard by design games, and just not upping the difficulty, Ninja Gaiden Black.
This is far more impressive than anyone here realizes. We tried this game on Veteran with 4 people and gave up

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
ibb and obb

it's a co-op game

and if you play it solo, you have to control two characters at once using both analog sticks on a gamepad to solve platforming puzzles that require precision and timing

the trophy for beating the game that way is called brain damage

it is the rarest trophy i have in my collection of thousands to this day, and i did that almost 7 years ago.

cuphead, celeste, darkest dungeon, sekiro ng+4 charmless with demon bell, bloodborne bl4, hollow knight 112%, god hand on hard mode, the last of us on grounded mode, furi on furier mode, metal gear rising on revengeance mode, the witness with all puzzles solved, fez with all puzzles solved

did all that and they don't compare to how much i had to split my brain to beat this relatively unknown small indie game once

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
The Witness. Completed it without any assistance.

Never did get the second achievement though.

May 5, 2018
Celeste. I thought the main campaign was tough but it was the B Sides and C Sides that were the real challenge. Once I got to the C Sides I actually felt lucky dying only over 100 times on some (Chapter 4 and 6) but I died over a thousand times to beat the Chapter 5 and 7 C Sides. Once I beat Chapter 7's C Side, I felt the best sense of gratification when finally getting through the final room. I almost blew it too by dashing off the cliff but dashed back to the cliff. Beating that C Side might be the hardest level I've ever beaten.

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
Thumper, although my rankings on the later stages rarely went above C

Slain: Back From Hell was quite challenging for me but manageable with some patience

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the ending plane mission in the original COD MW on the hardest difficulty. That or either the Radec fight in Killzone 2 on the hardest difficulty.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
ibb and obb

it's a co-op game

and if you play it solo, you have to control two characters at once using both analog sticks on a gamepad to solve platforming puzzles that require precision and timing

the trophy for beating the game that way is called brain damage

it is the rarest trophy i have in my collection of thousands to this day, and i did that almost 7 years ago.

cuphead, celeste, darkest dungeon, sekiro ng+4 charmless with demon bell, bloodborne bl4, hollow knight 112%, god hand on hard mode, the last of us on grounded mode, furi on furier mode, metal gear rising on revengeance mode, the witness with all puzzles solved, fez with all puzzles solved

did all that and they don't compare to how much i had to split my brain to beat this relatively unknown small indie game once
There was another two very similar: Kalimba and I want to say Schizoid on Xbox 360, had a single player mode that you have to control two things at once, broke my brain

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Ninja Gaiden Black for sure although Celeste isn't too far behind.

Thinking back to those 37 different attempts before I finally beat Alma gives me the cold sweats.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
I intially thought about Bloodborne or The Binding Of Isaac with the lost (before he got the shield and became easier)

But I think it is Metal Slug 2 with less than 10 coins to play.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I Platinum'd all of Blast Corps on N64 back in the day.

Just as well that console was built sturdy because it sure took a beating.

Xcom Enemy Unknown on Impossible IronMan difficulty. Was fucking torture at times, just constant scraping by, but felt like I absolutely mastered the game by the end.

Yeah, getting through an Ironman run is a great feeling.

The number of times you have to pick yourself back up after a mission gone horribly wrong; by the end of the game you're looking back and thinking "It's a miracle I didn't quit right then and there".

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne and Celeste are up there. Cuphead would be too but I actually haven't finished that one yet.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne I got the platinum and beat all the bosses (other than optional Ludwig in the DLC) with no summoned help. Next would be Dark Souls 3. Beat all the bosses through the first dlc, but with a lot of summoning help. Dropped the second DLC early on and couldn't get into DS1 or 2 when I bought them cheap.

I was nearing my 40s at that point (41 now) and my patience and skill for hard games and games that require precise timing had just largely eroded. I'm gaming less and spending more time on books, movies and shows the older I get so I don't see going back to playing super hard games. Life is challenging enough, my hobbies need to be pretty chill.

Now if we go back to childhood, then several NES games I beat because I only got a few a year and had to play them probably take the crown. Battletoads is probably the hardest one I finished some how.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
beating the hardcore mode in Dead Space 1/2 without any guides... stuff was more tougher than any souls game to me.

Had to micromanage and think 5 steps/encounters ahead

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Ninja Garden Black?
Cuphead?
Soulswhat?

Pffff.
Hands down the awful Amiga port of Bionic Commando.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard because the game is hard in a fair way? Maybe one of the From games.

Hard because bullshit? The 360 CoDs on veteran. NG Black. Maybe even Halo 2 on legendary unless you abuse the noob combo.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think Zelda II: Adventure of Link. It's just hard, even after maxing out Life and Magic and finding all the good stuff. Even Zelda 1 2nd quest i easy compared to this game.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Ninja Gaiden Sigma but it was Ninja Dog mode

The last level of SM3DW with all 5 characters

SMG2 Final Level may still be my proudest achievement

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Probably some NES game... Contra w/o the code, Zelda II, Trojan, Marble Madness?

I can't remember if I beat Megaman 3 without the pit glitch.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Let it Die.

The moment I got to the top floor still one of my favorite moments of this generation.

C4vqmUsWEAASJ-Z.jpg:large

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, maybe castle in the darkness on hard?
I play almost all games on hard, and I beat the all the usual suspects. Recently GoW 2018 on GmGoW.

Valdis Story S rank on Godslayer?

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Probably Demon's Souls or Halo: CE on legendary (solo)

Anything harder and I eventually stop because of boredom. Banging my head against the wall for hours just to beat a boss or w/e gets old and not very satisfying.

Like I could've beaten Sekiro if I didn't give up, but I didn't have fun progressing.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Viewpoint. I had to use an invincibility cheat to do it, though. For comparison, at my age when I beat that, I was able to get through 1942 and Metal Slug 2 on a single quarter. And I couldn't even beat the first level of Viewpoint.

Similar to that, Abadox. It takes second because, while I also needed to cheat, I could at least best a few levels before I had to.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
F-Zero GX

I don't consider the Soulsborne games hard With the exception of Sekiro... which I couldn't finish :(

That ape cost me a controller

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't know, maybe castle in the darkness on hard?
I play almost all games on hard, and I beat the all the usual suspects. Recently GoW 2018 on GmGoW.

Valdis Story S rank on Godslayer?

Fuck, i had my share of challenge finishing Valdis Story on Normal, Godslayer is crazy lol

I'm planning to replay the game on hard eventually, but the time i tried Godslayer, i was dying in the first regular bigger demon most of the time :p