• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
In sports, a lot is said about "classes" in the draft. For example, the 2004 NFL Quaterback draft class was famously great. 2007's was famously a terrible quarterback class, but was pretty good in other positions.

With that, I would like to start a similar discussion on Pokemon. Instead of positions, types. Instead of years, generations. What is the greatest class of a certain Pokemon type in a single generation? You can obviously evaluate them in many ways, but lets use simple "design + overall likeability" as a rule instead of metagame impact and such.

Some examples of great classes, IMO:

- The 4th Generation Flying-type class: Starly line, Mothim, Combee line, Honchkrow, Gliscor, Togekiss, Drifloon line, Chatot, Mantyke, Yanmega, Rotom-F, Shaymin-Sky
Anchored by one of the coolest regional birds and several great evolutions of pre-existing Pokemon. Also has one of the coolest unique type combos and inventive designs with Drifloon/Drifblim. Unlike previous gens, Flying isn't dragged down by the Bug/Flying types.

- The 3rd Generation Dragon-type class: Mega Sceptile, Vibrava, Flygon, Altaria, Bagon line, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza
Dragon types were almost nonexistent up to this point, and Gen III more than doubled their numbers. Flygon is GOAT tier Pokemon, Altaria is the first "easy to get" Dragon in the games, Salamence is awesome and the legendaries are all pretty great too. Mega Sceptile was added later on.

But to me, the greatest ever has to be...

- The 5th generation Bug-type class: Sewaddle line, Venipede line, Dwebble line, Joltik line, Karrablast line, Shelmet line, Larvesta line, Durant, Genesect
Holy shit, this is just amazing. No generation gave any type a bigger leap than this: amazing type combos, great designs and usefulness in battle. Gen V singlehandedly made Bug my favorite type. You can go monobug in Black/White and basically have the best monotype line-up of any Pokemon game ever. Sugimori and co. were truly inspired when they made these Pokemon.

Of course, there are also some pretty shitty generations for certain types. To name a couple:

- The 4th generation Fire-type class: Chimchar line, Magmortar, Heatran
Quantity is the issue here. It didn't help that Magmortar and Heatran weren't even in the original Sinnoh dex. Instead, Ponyta and Rapidash were the only Fire types outside the starters in the game. Diamond and Pearl had a Fire type E4 member that barely used fire types and used a final starter evolution as his ace (which always bugged me honestly). Disgraceful. Thank goodness Platinum fixed this.

- The 6th generation Ice-type class: Bergmite line, Amaura line
While an Ice type fossil is pretty damn cool, quantity was again an issue here (it kind of plagues gen VI and VII due to a smaller Pokedex numbers). At least Mega Abomasnow was a thing?

So, what are, in your opinions, the best and worst "type classes" in Pokemon history? Do you think any types are "owed" a badass class like Bug types were in Gen V?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gen 1 Poison type class.

Venusaur, Tentacruel, Weezing, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, motherfucking Gengar.

Not surprising when Poison was the most common type in Generation 1.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bird type. MissingNo. gang for life.

On a serious note, I'd have to Dragon. Even with Fairy type being a thing, it overpowering four of the most prominent types (water fire grass electric) is just too good to me. Either that or Water, since most of my personal favs tend to be water type.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For worst, shoutouts to Gen 6's incredible Bug type representation with... Vivillion.

And nobody else.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Dark Gen 2. Umbreon, Houndour/Houndoom, Sneasal, Murkrow. What's not to like here.

Worst: Bug Gen 6. Vivillion is a fine pokemon, but why is this the ONLY bug in the entire generation?

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
That is some really specific train of thought you're going with here
When your a sports fan, you unfortunately become a fan of talking about things in extremely specific topics. When you like Pokemon too... oh boy.
Gen 5 also has the ghost class.
Chandelure, Golurk, Cofagrigus, Jellicent. Very good.
Gen 1 Poison type class.

Venusaur, Tentacruel, Weezing, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, motherfucking Gengar.

Not surprising when Poison was the most common type in Generation 1.
Very strong class. Don't forget Arbok.
For worst, shoutouts to Gen 6's incredible Bug type representation with... Vivillion.

And nobody else.
Oh wow, I actually never noticed that. Gen VII fortunately put big types back on track with Golisopod, Araquanid and Vikavolt (Charjabug the real GOAT though).

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Gen 7 bug class
Grubbin line, Wimpod line, Dewpider line, Cutiefly line, Buzzwole, and Pheramosa. Not that much quantity but each addition is worthwhile.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 3's Psychic Types is kind of ridiculous.

Claydol, Medicham, Gardevoir, Metagross, Jirachi, Latias, Latios and Deoxys is a stacked lineup, in terms of power and good designs.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 3 has a great roster of normal types with the Slakoth line, Whismur line, and Zangoose which are all great, plus some one offs which stand out uniquely and are still pretty memorable like Kecleon, Castform, and Spinda.

Gen 7 has a strong lineup of Water types with the Popplio line, my favorite water starter line ever, Wishiwashi which is pretty badass, and the Mareanie, Dewpider, and Wimpod lines which all have great designs and fairly unique advantages in battle. Pretend Bruxish doesn't exist.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Ghost has been consistently great for a long time now, but the past couple of gens in particular:

250px-710Pumpkaboo.png

Gen 6 - Phantump, Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, Hoopa

It was about time we had a haunted tree and pumpkin and it certainly doesn't hurt when it meant more type variety for Ghosts with Grass added to the mix. Then of course there's the Aegislash line, bringing a solid Steel-type into the mix and proving quite a force to be reckoned with.

250px-770Palossand.png

250px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Sonne_und_Mond_Colossand.png

Gen 7 - Decidueye, Oricorio (Sensu), Sandygast, Palossand, Mimikyu, Dhelmise & Legendaries/Mythicals

Ghost finally sneaking into a starter line was a fantastic surprise. Decidueye is a great design and its typing provides interesting flavour. Dhelmise, Sandygast and Palossand are really fun and I loved the art of the latter snacking on a Pikachu. Speaking of which, Mimikyu's entire concept is gold, oozing personality while remaining formidable in battle. There are some legendaries/mythicals too, but I'm not so bothered about super rare Pokémon.

250px-752Araquanid.png

While we're on Gen 7, Bug also had great representation last time with:

Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Cutiefly, Ribombee, Wimpod, Golisopod, Dewpider, Araquanid, Buzzwole and Pheromosa

Vikavolt is such a slick design and the idea that it uses its pre-evolution, Charjabug, as a battery is so creative. It's probably my favourite Bug-type of all time. Otherwise, there's still so much variety and personality, with the fairy-like Ribombee, the cowardly but strong Golisopod, the creepy Araquanid and Pheromosa and the bizarrely buff Buzzwole.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i feel like fire is always bad/limited as though they think the fire starter makes up for a lack of fire types
like seriously gen 4 was lacking hard. especially sucks since i like to have a fire water grass core on all my ingame teams if i can

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Worst class of all-time? Gen II Ghost-types:

250px-200Misdreavus.png

I'm still flabbergasted that they added 100 new Pokémon in Johto, and exactly one was a Ghost. Bringing the total number of Ghosts up to 4 out of 251! Super weak.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
per gen faves

Gen 1 - Psychic
Gen 2 - Steel
Gen 3 - Grass
Gen 4 - Dark
Gen 5 - Bug
Gen 6 - Fairy
Gen 7 - Water

Torperion

Jun 24, 2019
I might think of a best class later, but off the top of my head Gen 6 Electric class was pretty rough. You got the Heliolisk line, Dedenne, and...that's it. Counting Pokemon that'll never exist again, we can include Mega Manectric and Mega Ampharos, which are both admittedly decent. But in general, outside of old Pokemon, the pickings were slim for suree.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Gen 6 Dark was pretty cool. Yveltal, Pangoro, Malamar, Greninja. Dark is my favorite type but it's rare to get more than 1 or 2 cool new ones per generation unfortunately.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Nothing can beat gen v bugs for me (<3 Scolipede)

That said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned gen v dark yet. I mean the sandile and vullaby lines are great, and it gave us a pseudo-legendary dark/dragon!

Almost forgot pawniard/bisharp.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 6 fairy, I played a monoteam and destroyed everything

Clefable (calm mind)
Azumarill (Both Belly drum and choice band)
Sylveon (both wish and choice specs)
Mega-Mawile
Gardevoir and M-Gardevoir
Togekiss
Xerneas
and my favourite, Whimsicott before the prankster nerf (to trap people into encore)

(Im counting those as gen 6 because that was the gen fairys were born)...

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Gen 6 ground was awful in terms of quantity, Diggersby and Zygarde (who was robbed, Z should of been a thing I'm still salty about it)

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Best: Dark Gen 2. Umbreon, Houndour/Houndoom, Sneasal, Murkrow. What's not to like here.
Good one but you missed Tyranitar, arguably the best of the bunch...

Water type is typically among my favorite types and Gen 2 knocks it out of the park. Feraligatr, Lanturn, Azumarill, Politoad, Quagsire, Slowking, Quilfish, Corsola, Octillery, Mantine, Kingdra, and Suicune are in this group. Bold ones are all time favorites, italicized are just designs I think are really great.

Gen 4 ice types deserve a nod although most are evolutions of past Pokemon, but extremely good ones. Abomasnow, Weavile, Glaceon, Mamoswine, Froslass, and Rotom-Fridge are in this group.

Also flying for Gen 1, 2, and 4, but I'm lazy now.

Joke shout out to Gen 2 dragon, consisting of 100% the GOAT Pokemon

Last edited:

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Interesting thread op :3

If you count Alolan forms for gen 1 rather than gen 7, gen 1 has roughly 1/4 of all ice types (9/38, or 40 if you count Castform and Rotom's forms as bulbapedia does. I'd personally count it as 9/39 including Rotom) in Sandshrew-A, Sandslash-A, Vulpix-A, Ninetales-A, Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, Lapras, and Articuno, while gen 7 has a single ice type in Crabominable. So SuMo somehow created both the strongest and weakest ice type classes, at least quantity-wise.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Gen V Dark for sure.

You've got KROOKODILE, the croc sportin' shades with style for days.

You've got BISHARP, the holy union between super sentai and a swiss army knife.

You've got ZOROARK, Lucario's sleeker and less-weirdly-anthropomorphic cousin.

You've got HYDREIGON, the best pseudo-legendary of all time and the King Ghidora to Tyranitar's Gojira.

You've got MANDIBUZZ, a voracious vulture and veritable defensive powerhouse.

You've got LIEPARD, easily the best early-game Dark-type of all time.

And of course you've got the undisputed greatest 'mon of all time: the queen of strong style herself...

ff48a7379d5d4c399f733b8264f6de2fb2336852_hq.gif

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I agree that Ghost-types are overall the best, but I felt that it was the worst in Gen 2 with only 1 Pokemon. And it's not like Dragon with its fully-evolved Pokemon, because Misdreavus is not built like a fully-evolved Pokemon. Gen 1 had Gengar which is great, but I felt that Gen 4 is the time they have great designs (Gen 3 ones felt more like a warm up).

--

If you are asking Ice-types, this is a very tricky question.
- Gen 1 felt disjointed since every Pokemon are not part of a family (those that are evolved and gain the Ice-type)
- Gen 2 felt like the Pokemon weren't fully complete and strong enough (they all have evolutions in other Gens though)
- Gen 3 felt the most secluded that the player isn't even aware that there are Ice-types in Hoenn (one is a legendary, and the other two are found in a cave that is out of the way)
- Gen 4 is probably the best one with its emphasis on strong Pokemon
- Gen 5 has variety in design but lacking in secondary types (only Kyurem has one)
- Gen 6 only has 2 evolution lines so it's not much variety
- Gen 7 has only 3 evolution lines and only one is an original that evolved from a non-Ice-type.

I think if just looking at Ice-types, Gen 4 is the best, followed a bit by Gen 5 because that one has 4 evolution lines that provided some variety. Besides, Gen 5 has Vanilluxe, which is something that Pokemon is daring enough to come up with. The only thing going against Gen 5 is the lack of secondary types, but I am glad that Gen 7 gave them some much needed improvements (Vanilluxe sets Hail automatically, Beartic has a Hail ability + increased Attack and Cryogonal has an increased HP and Defence).

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
If there is one thing that is disappointing about gen 5, it's that the Elite 4 has only 4 Pokemon each. The E4 types in gen 5 are ridiculously well represented and are thus missing some important mons in the teams.

Psychic: Sigilyph, Musharna, Reuniclus, Gothitelle. Left out: Beheeyem, Swoobat, (and two legendaries).
Dark: Liepard, Krookodile, Scrafty, Bisharp. Left out: Zoroark (N uses one though), Hydreigon (Ghetsis uses one) and Mandibuzz.
Fighting: Throh, Sawk, Conkeldurr, Mienshao. Left out: Emboar, Scrafty (and four legendaries).
Ghost: Ok, the four fully evolved Ghosts are here, Cofagrigus, Jellicent, Golurk and Chandelure.

Overall, there is no filler in the E4 teams, unlike DP's awful E4 lineups.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The best is water because Empoleon and Greninja are water. There are no pkmn better than those two, sorry.

Worst is fairy because nobody likes fairy. What the hell were they thinking?