• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
We've all seen the classics. Deathmatch. Capture the Flag. King of the Hill.

And they're pretty great! They're classics for a reason. But are they the best? What does Era say are the best non-game specific MP modes out there?

By "non-game specific", by the way, I don't mean "this mode has only ever been in one game", I mean "this mode really wouldn't work in most other games because it's really specific to the mechanics of basically just his one game". For instance, Nidhogg. Nidhogg's tug of war, right of way 2D combat obstacle course is great, but also, it's not that broadly applicable. Yes I'm sure there's a semantic distinction which could point out edge cases, but work with me here.

Me, I'd say 3 come to mind:
  • Conquest, Battlefield series. This unbelievably clever take on a combination of "hold the points" and "deathmatch" for some reason is never much imitated, and I never know why. It allows for a really organic evolution of offensive and defensive objectives, works great within the BF mechanics, and has multiple ways to win to keep things closer than they'd otherwise be with a single objective, but it's just "do whatever". Really great stuff, and such simple execution.
  • Warzone, KIllzone 2 and 3. I almost feel like this is cheating, but it works so well and appears basically nowhere that I half think that Guerilla has a patent on it. For the uninitated, it's a combination of deathmatch, capture the flag, assassinate a single target, 3 point KotH, and search and destroy. Which sounds basic, but what makes it fun is how it never needs time to switch. Some team kills an assassination target, the game becomes a DM right then and there, with all the turrets and invisible players and defensive postures still in place. Someone wins that, and now it's capture the flag, and everyone is scrambling to the other side of the map. It's awesome.
  • Onslaught, Unreal. I'll be the first to admit this wasn't very well balanced. It's a "connect the node to the enemy core" type mode, but once the final node was connected and the enemy core exposed, there wasn't much in the way of comebacks besides the defenders just...being better. When it wasn't only the final one though, that's when the mode truly shined. Needing to determine which nodes to go to, having to defend and attack simultaneously, it all worked great, and what's more, the way the game worked in general (everyone could go everywhere with the right vehicle) meant that there was plenty of unorthodox approaches to be had. Later games added map dynamicism, but for me, nothing quite beats driving a Leviathan over a special angle on the mountains in some maps and dropping right into the main.
So yeah. Great memories, and some really fun modes beyond just the standard ones (although I'm sure those are favorites for people as well). What about you? Which ones would you say are the biggest and best (and maybe even rarest) standouts in your MP time? Not just FPS games either, all of them.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Prop Hunt in CoD is pretty damn cool. You hide on the map as a prop and the seeker has to find everybody.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have a soft spot for Capture the Flag ... I was never dissapointed by this mode whenever a game has it

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite is bomb defusal in Counterstrike. To put it more descriptively: Two teams, round based, no respawns within a round and victory can come from either killing the other team or completion of an objective.

Bomb defusal specifically works so well because once the bomb has been planted it puts huge time pressure on the other team to make something happen.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Plunder in Uncharted is a really smart take on single flag CtF. Physical treasure acts as the flag, and relegates users to pistols. The treasure can be tossed around by players, between teammates or just to get it out of the way. Players can also use the treasure as a melee. It's just an immensely smart take on the idea that fits really well into the tone of Uncharted.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Assassins Creed Deatmatch was great and shouldve survived, nothing else like it.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tournament Battle, as implemented by Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle (automatic single-elimination brackets with simultaneous play).

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Team Battle in fighting games.

Pretty basic; pick a bunch of characters and fight it out in regular one-on-ones. If you win, you keep your character with its health reduced based on how much you lost. If you lose, on to the next one. Like KoF standard 3v3 but with more characters. The best leveler in fighters (you pick 8, I pick 2)

Every fighter NOT having this mode is a travesty (Im looking at you tekken, you done fucked up now)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Stacking draw 4 and draw 2 cards in Uno. The look on someone's face when they have to pick up like 26 cards is something else.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
There are some really cool modes that have been discussed in this thread so far. I really like the idea of Warhawk's hero mode, a game like Battlefront should definitely copy that mode.

I'd like to mention BF 2142's titan mode (which was brought back as carrier assault in BF4), and BF1's grand operations. Carrier assault was a ton of fun since it began similarly to conquest, but there was a tug of war to open up the enemy team's carrier (or titan) for attack by holding the points. You would go from wide open naval themed combat on various islands to a large, claustrophobic ship where you had to push through the defenders to plant bombs, while also worrying about the enemy team doing the same to your ship. Grand operations in BF1 had an epic presentation from the cinematic intros, to the music, the sounds, and the sheer spectacle of all out combat. BF1 obviously wasn't a historically accurate game, but I believe that grand operations did a great job of fulfilling Dice's vision by depicting a large-scale conflict where soldiers were forced to evolve their tactics against the destructive efficiency of automatic weapons, improved explosives, armored vehicles, and chemical weapons. Playing as an attacker on Verdun Heights and attempting to seize the last sector as explosives and gunfire sounded off constantly and the forest surrounding the map began to burn and block out the sky with its smoke is one of the few moments where playing a game had me thinking 'this is madness'

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Is horde/survival too obvious? It can plug into pretty much anything with conflict—so most things. If I'm not feeling the other attractions I can often scavenge some enjoyment from a survival mode.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Battle Royale
Hunger Games

Yeah it's Warzone from the Killzone games. Feels like you play a campaign against other people. Why is no one else doing this?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Cops and Robbers - really fun in MK8DX

Team Stock in Smash Bros. Style games

Saber Duel lobbies in Jedi Academy

Last Man Standing in Twisted Metal or car combat games

Run or Turn-based score games in couch games. Skate in Tony Hawk, destruction in Red Faction Guerrilla, etc.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enemy Territory objective and class based
The GOAT :
latest

Spent hundreds of hours on this map alone.

Last edited:

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Plunder in Uncharted is a really smart take on single flag CtF. Physical treasure acts as the flag, and relegates users to pistols. The treasure can be tossed around by players, between teammates or just to get it out of the way. Players can also use the treasure as a melee. It's just an immensely smart take on the idea that fits really well into the tone of Uncharted.

This combined with the vertical gameplay was amazing. Uncharted multiplayer is so underrated.

My favorite though are modes with no respawn like Counterstrike.

Zack117

Oct 28, 2017
'Cranked' which debuted in Call of Duty: Ghosts and has only appeared once ever since in a later installment - which is mind boggling to me.
This game mode singlehandedly solved the problem of camping and brought a new level of pace to the table which gave the game much more of an arena shooter like feeling.
It was honestly the only reason I enjoyed Ghosts as much as I did.

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018
Jailbreak mods for arena shooters are so good. Halfway surprised no game has it as an official mode.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Warzone from Killzone series. A bit weird no other games have adapted this. Killzone is popular enough and the criticism it gets is the clunky controls mostly. I have not heard anyone complaining about Warzone. Only praise.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Whatever mode The Ship and Bloody Good Time were. You're given a target to kill, you're a target another player has to kill. You have to try to kill them without them noticing you, while trying to spot your killer who's (obviously) trying to kill you without you noticing them.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Stopwatch, Enemy Territory (Quake Wars, Dirty Bomb, Brink).

Class-based, complete a set of objectives where different classes are either required or have advantages. First team to attack tries to set a time, second round is the defenders attacking.

It is a very good competitive mode. It also favours good map design as you want the offence to beat the map (just at varying times), and if done right there shouldn't be that many stalemates. Problematic in pubs because players tend to leave if they lose, so in most ET-games stopwatch is mainly for dedicated players where scrubs play single round stopwatch and whine about losing on defence. Each objective on a map is different, making you switch up composition during a game, and one map has several distinct areas to fight in.

The high point was probably Dirty Bomb, but it never got off the ground. Quake Wars is one of my favourite games of all time. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was extremely fun. You can see the brilliance of Stopwatch in competitive matches and only glimpse it in the "regular" objective mode.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"Non-game specific" in the title and OP.

50% of the replies are game specific.

I think CTF is the best cross-game multiplayer mode. It's been ported to seemingly every single 4+ multiplayer game and it's just a really versatile mode.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Objective/stopwatch in Wolfenstein and Splash Damage games (ET:QW, Brink, Dirty Bomb).
Enemy Territory objective and class based
The GOAT :
latest

Spent hundreds of hours on this map alone.
Stopwatch, Enemy Territory (Quake Wars, Dirty Bomb, Brink).

Class-based, complete a set of objectives where different classes are either required or have advantages. First team to attack tries to set a time, second round is the defenders attacking.

It is a very good competitive mode. It also favours good map design as you want the offence to beat the map (just at varying times), and if done right there shouldn't be that many stalemates. Problematic in pubs because players tend to leave if they lose, so in most ET-games stopwatch is mainly for dedicated players where scrubs play single round stopwatch and whine about losing on defence. Each objective on a map is different, making you switch up composition during a game, and one map has several distinct areas to fight in.

The high point was probably Dirty Bomb, but it never got off the ground. Quake Wars is one of my favourite games of all time. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was extremely fun. You can see the brilliance of Stopwatch in competitive matches and only glimpse it in the "regular" objective mode.

tenor.gif

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Spies vs Mercs was really fun.
Onslaught mode in ut2k4 was really great too.
I liked to play Battlefront 2 (the old one) space battle. It was a tactical mess, but starting from your mother ship, doing some dogfight, and infiltrate the ennemy mothership, it was a dream com true from every SW fan. In 2019, with fine tuning, we should have a mode like that with interesting gameplay mechanisms. Saddly, none of those fans works fo EA...