• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire.

Everything seemed so bland and tasteless after this.
- I was recommended The Sopranos and I didn't enjoy that. Sure the setting is promising but the cast... Between his sister, his mother, fucking Paulie... and almost everyone really, it's a wonder he manages to make money. I like watching shows to see some evolution, some character development and such but season after season, it's like every character was digging his tomb without relent. The cunts from last season will be bigger cunts next one, and the show goes on and on until the cunt is question is dead.
And if you're not a cunt, well, too bad, you're going to die anyway.
- Then I was recommended The Shield. Not terrible but compared to The Wire everything seems so fake it felt like a sitcom most of the times : everything that can go wrong WILL go wrong because. I had 0 love for the main character (a fat, balding womanizer, just like in Sopranos but apparently the opposite sex just CAN'T resist them !). I had some love for Claudette and Dutch though... until Dutch killed the cat, because again, this is a sitcom apparently and everything must happen, despite making 0 sense.
- Breaking Bad could have been the one, but the character of Jesse is just nerve grating. Unreliable, crybaby, junkie, you name it. Clearly the BEST associate one could want when going into the drugs business.

Sorry for badmouthing some shows of such magnitude but I think each of them has one or more glaring/crippling defaults that just can't make them sit on the first place.
As I said, had I seen these shows before The Wire my opinion would probably be different or more nuanced.

Oct 31, 2017
The Wire is a close second, but something I've realized as I've grown older is that it is a product of its time. I tried showing The ire to my younger brother who is 18, and he couldn't really get into it, but he has no problem watching shows like Breaking bad and The Sopranos.

I feel that The Wire is really rooted in the politics situation of the early-mid 2000s- Bush Administration's antics and the post 9-11/war on drugs specifically- so its harder for younger audiences to relate. You had to have "been there", if that makes any sense. Of course, that does not mean That The Wire is completely inaccessible to the youths, provided they did their homework and know about that early-mid 2000s era- but to the casual teenager of 2019 and future generations, it would not be as relatable. Breaking Bad in my opinion feels more "timeless", its story is one that has been told before and will continue to be told in the future.

Breaking Bad is GREAT but it doesn't say anything about America or it's laws or feature a diverse group of people dealing with those laws.

The Wire shows us the politics of an entire city from the police system, multiple organized crime organizations all the way from the street dealers to the suppliers, working class workers, the community that lives in the perpetual drug war, school children and teachers, ex convicts trying to return to civilian life, the courtroom and newsroom.

Your younger brother not getting into it is a poor reason to put Breaking Bad over the Wire. As much as a first time viewer might smirk at the characters being introduced to text messaging, the story the Wire tells is all too relevant.

The Wire.
Unreliable, crybaby, junkie, you name it. Clearly the BEST associate one could want when going into the drugs business.

Sorry for badmouthing some shows of such magnitude but I think each of them has one or more glaring/crippling defaults that just can't make them sit on the first place.
As I said, had I seen these shows before The Wire my opinion would probably be different or more nuanced.

See, Jesse is a great character and was only dragged that deep into the drug game because of Walt's bullshit.

I did watch the Wire after Breaking Bad though and obviously the former has a lot more to say about American society while the other is just a really exciting and incredibly well done gangster movie.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Fargo
Better Call Saul
Twin Peaks
True Detective S1*

*I actually enjoyed True Detective S2, even if it's not on the same level as S1.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMTczNjAyMDg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQyNTA2OTE@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It's a show that is criminally under-watched (though if you look up any review of the later seasons it's thankfully at least not under-appreciated) show. Four seasons, which cover ten years (from 1983-1993) of the lives of several people working on computers, video games, and technology.

It's a story that gets to the heart of creation. This incalculable drive to make something. And that drive can create the strongest relationships we have along the way. It can also destroy us. And we're always thrilled to be chasing after a dream, to be building towards something, but it's a show that cuts to the heart of creation: creation is only the thing that gets us to the thing. And the thing is the people around us, on that adventure.

It's an incredibly well written human drama, and so much of its success comes from the imperfection of its cast it embraces. How these people succeed, and (more importantly) how they fail are rendered with incredible vision. It's also worth noting that the show is able to tell what feels like an incredibly complete story with their four seasons. Looking back on season 1 from season 4 is astounding.

Maybe it's just because I make games, or just because I'm the kind of person who is very much into that kind make-things mentality, but no other show has ever felt more definitive in showcasing the value in chasing after a dream with other people.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of another rewatch and this show is just incredibly special. Beautiful scene after scene of great music and emotion.

WY_Complete_Series_Shot_290x390.jpg

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Larry Sanders Show and 70s Columbo.

My man.

Larry Sanders is #1 in my heart.

SNL has a pretty broad influence, although the quality has ebbed and flowed quite a bit over the years. It's hasn't been consistently great, but it has had some pretty high highs over the years.

If I gotta pick a more "serious" drama or whatever, then I guess I'd go with the Wire too.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Wire, then I would round out the top five with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Mad Men. Honorable mentions Game of Thrones and Better Call Saul

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sopranos or The Wire. I'll probably give it to the Sopranos because it rebirthed serialized TV as a popular format, and now everything is serialized. The Wire might be the best, but the Sopranos is my favorite, I'd say, it's infinitely rewatchable. While the Wire is difficult to rewatch because each episode really requires that you've seen the previous episode... tough to just jump into a random episode if you haven't watched the whole series in a while.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
60 Minutes

Listen, I love Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, and all the others mentioned. But none of them are nearly as important or stimulating as any episode of 60 Minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
The Shield.

The show did something that no other TV series has done before.

It began good. It got better and better and better and then had one of the greatest series finales of all time. No dip in quality, ever, over 7 seasons. No other show can claim that, not Breaking Bad, not Game of Thrones, not The Wire, nobody. The Shield had no weak or extraneous episodes or subplots. It is as close to perfect as any TV show could ever hope to be.

For the uninitiated, the show is essentially a Shakespearean epic presented as a cop show. Some of the absolute highest highs of emotional beats and the most tense situations you will ever experience in a TV series. It established the framework of storytelling that Breaking Bad would then copy to great success.

top-5-characters-shane-vendrell.jpg

See this man? In any other series, it would be a throwaway part. Instead, he became one of the most memorable, complex, and tragic characters on the silver screen.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Men still dwarfs everything that has come before or after. Deadwood is in a respectable 2nd place, may have topped Mad Men if it was allowed to tell its full story.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The answer to this question is largely a matter of taste and what generation you grew up in, but for me I feel like it has to be a toss-up between Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and The Office.

Honorable Mention to Community, of course.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
The Simpsons (1-9)

It's the clear standout for me as a non-American. Used to watch it every day after school. It'll still be top tier in 100 years.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm struggling with season 4, about 3 episodes in. Should I push through?

If you're not feeling it at this point, then you probably won't enjoy the rest of it. I tend to gravitate more toward characters over story in general, and I enjoy these characters, so watching them interact and bounce off each other was satisfying for me. If you're at the point where the characters and story aren't doing much for you, then you're in for more of the same. Without spoiling anything, the show has a satisfying conclusion and does right by its characters.

Also, the show is a massive nostalgia rush for me, due to the place and time. I was in my 20s during the '90s and involved in that early web/tech boom, so that might color my feelings a bit, but I've seen other shows that take place in that time period and don't do anything for me other than, "yeah, I remember that." The fact that this is a fictional tale set during that period elevates it for me.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's pretty easily game of thrones. The wire, Oz, Seinfeld are all great but GoT is far and away the goat.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I would like someone who is not from the US to answer with what they think.

I personally believe it to be: Breaking Bad.