• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the future of World of Warcraft?

• Blizzard will continue to release new expansions every two years, well into the 2030s

Votes: 214 57.2%
  • Blizzard will reboot WoW before 2030, ie a "WoW 2"

Votes: 73 19.5%
  • New content will stop being made within the next 10-15 years and all servers will be taken down.

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • New content will stop being made within the next 10-15 years, but servers will stay up indefinitely

Votes: 63 16.8%

• Total voters

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm over sitting at my desk or computer to play it, but bring it to console or mobile and I'm there.

i think it will just keep on trucking for another couple of decades.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I think they will just keep the expansions coming and add some graphical upgrades with each one. Hopefully they can add raytraced global illumination and better draw distances at some point.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It still has millions of paid subscribers in an era where the monthly subscription model elsewhere died a long time ago. That sort of guaranteed revenue stream is unbelievably lucrative. As long as the playerbase keeps craving new content, and is willing to pay for it, they'll keep pumping out expansions. And seeing as Shadowlands sold absolute gangbusters, the demand is still very strong.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 45 and have been playing it since I was 29. Since then I have gotten married, lived in 2 different houses, and had 2 children who are currently 12 & 13. I'll probably still be able to play WoW when I retire someday lol. And I'm playing with the exact same core group of people from the one and only guild I joined back in 2004!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 45 and have been playing it since I was 29. Since then I have gotten married, lived in 2 different houses, and had 2 children who are currently 12 & 13. I'll probably still be able to play WoW when I retire someday lol. And I'm playing with the exact same core group of people from the one and only guild I joined back in 2004!

I'm jealous. I've played since 2007 but my core group evaporated years ago. At this point it's just a game I play solo. I miss ye olde days.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
As long as the game has a playerbase that's worth investing in, Blizzard will continue the show. They may change the formular or adapt to their situation, but I don't think they will abandon the game before they're certain they can pour money into projects that are worth more.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty nuts that the same group of people still playing WoW from 2004 and still in the same guild. My group imploded and most transferred off to different servers. Nearly all have quitted several expansions later. I still talk to a friend who just recently came back and we played back in the vanilla days. I miss them when I scroll through my friends list. I play solo.
When I quitted, figured I was never coming back from burnout. That same friend would link me WoW trailers from every expansion since haha.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

This is both crazy and awesome.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think stay-at-home orders were the shot in the arm to keep WoW going strong for at least half a decade. And we'd probably still see it doing reasonably well till 2030.

My guess is it'll get another graphical overhaul with ray tracing etc. within the next few years to keep it relevant. Maybe they'd finally put out a console port, too.

Personally I can't see how anyone could get into it narratively these days (I tried but it was too much) but mechanically it's essentially timeless.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I would like a console edition of WoW so I can finally play it while sitting on a couch with a controller in my hand.

It seemed like they were headed that way for a while when they kept removing abilities without replacing them, but I guess not.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think stay-at-home orders were the shot in the arm to keep WoW going strong for at least half a decade. And we'd probably still see it doing reasonably well till 2030.

My guess is it'll get another graphical overhaul with ray tracing etc. within the next few years to keep it relevant. Maybe they'd finally put out a console port, too.

Personally I can't see how anyone could get into it narratively these days (I tried but it was too much) but mechanically it's essentially timeless.
Ha, they actually added ray tracing already. It's a performance hog and doesn't add much though. IMO it doesn't benefit from it like other games do.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a long time player I do want a reboot of some kind, preferably a new game entirely. But realistically they're just gonna keep going with new expansions until people get tired.

My main issue with WoW at this point is that they've explored pretty much everything. Very few big mysteries remain and it feels like the game should've ended long ago.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Expensions untile the end of time, it is still extremely profitable.
I expect a better "Free to play" mode in the near future though, something like "play everything for free except the last expansion content".

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
I doubt they will ever get me back into normal WoW, and I got kinda bored of classic they will probably try TBC and Wrath but those won't be as popular as vanilla.