• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Just like to see what all the options are. Always check the brightness and set it one or two notched above the recommended heh

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Volume, keep voice at max and lower effects/bgm to 6-7ish. Then make sure subtitles are on. Otherwise I just can't hear what anyone is saying in video games.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Display options. Make sure I'm on the right res/refresh.

If using keyboard, rebind WASD to ESDF.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Switch to Japanese audio if it's a Japanese game. Otherwise subtitles on regardless of language.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
I just get right into the game generally. I'll adjust options once I've gotten in.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Invert Y, for sure. I'm happy that the PS5 has a system-level setting now, but a number of games seem to disregard it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Go to options and enable subtitles + tool around the menus to see what the UI is like/the vibes the art and sounds give me.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I check all options but the main ones are subtitles and stick sensitivity, which is usually set too high for me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Invert Y, Check to make sure DLSS in enabled if PC game and turn off chromatic aberration / film grain / motion blur. I'll keep motion blur if it is object-based but usually it is camera based which is horrible.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Step 1: immediately set the controller down and spend 5 to 20 minutes googling the game to find out if the hardest difficulty mode is hard or actually just bullshit
Step 2: set difficulty accordingly

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Options, disable motion blur and check if subtitles are enabled. If not, enable them.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I trust that the default options are good enough and go straight to the game.
If there's dialogue in the opening cutscene that I can't hear clearly, then at that point I'll sigh and go back and turn on subtitles.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure the game is running at my native res (if there wasnt a loader or something before the game started).
Turn off stuff like CA, cinema filter, vignetting, and other annoying graphics effects if it lets me.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for me standard options are invert the camera and max text speed. I might also change the voice language, usually I've listened to some samples beforehand and decided what I prefer.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Subtitles on

Mute volume voice if possible (I feel like games with cheaper voice action are precisely the ones with this option, because they know it's kind of not good)

If on pc, put everything on low just to be sure.