• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you have the easiest time with?

• SMT 1

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • SMT 2

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • SMT 3 Nocturne

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • SMTIV

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • SMTIV/A

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • SMT Strange Journey

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I had the easiest time with SMTIVA, its way less difficult that the others from my experience.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Strange Journey's also mainline, FYI. (Not that I'd ever list it among the easiest... :P)

My answer would probably be either IV or IV-A. Given Apocalypse's annoying finale, though, I'll go with IV. Everything past the Minotaur is mostly fairly smooth sailing if you know what you're doing.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
that would come down to IV or IV:A for me, so I picked IV because the end bosses of Apocalypse get pretty spicy

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SMT 2 is pretty easy when you consider how powerful is Aleph. May be even easier if you follow either Law or Chaos route and you recruit their demons "champions".

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
IVA. Even though late game bosses hit hard, if you've stayed on top of fusion you're super powerful. the hardest thing about the end of IVA is that maze, which is no joke

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
In SMT1 once you got everyone guns that hit all enemies and tags em with stun or charm or sleep, it's mostly over. Just remember to use tarukaja a lot on the final bosses and you're done.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMT4 wins for me, but its difficulty curve is weird.

First 3 hours are hard, then the game is a breeze all the way until the very end of the game where it suddenly gets tricky again.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've not played I or II, but of the other four I found IV and IVA the easiest after the initial acclimation period which was pretty tough at first. You have so many demons thrown at you and are constantly fusing new ones that it's hard not to create some badass demons or at the very least have access to whatever you need should a particular fight prove extra challenging and require a different strategy/party makeup. There's just so many QoL features that really take a lot of the stress and tedium out of the process that are there in older games that can make things harder simply because you have to do more or deal with more for simple actions.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one where you can kill everything with zio and charm bullets.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
IV is a cake walk once you reach Tokyo. It's trivial to get a party that completely covers weaknesses and most bosses don't have counter measures to the routine of buff/debuff > nuke.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Apocalypse has its shares of challenging bosses from beginning to end. The final boss is particularly legendary.

IV vanilla is brain dead after Minotaur, except for Beelzebub which is optional. Also, use every incense you get on your character and watch him be as strong as a lv99 when you reach lv50. It's crazy how unbalanced this game was.

Never played more than minutes of the first 2 tho.

Nocturne is a cakewalk after matador

Matador is not nearly as hard as some other bosses later in the game imo. I mean, he's kind of a tutorial boss that teaches the player evasion and accuracy are important, while some later bosses will be tough even after you learned all the lessons.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I don't remember the entirety of SMT IV but I distinctly remember you could clear like every enemy mob by just using almighty spells. So probably that.

Nocturne isn't that hard unless it's your first SMT, I'd say it's evenly balanced overall. I made a good Daisoujou early on that carried me along the game. Hell I beat Beelzebub with just Demifiend and Daisoujou.

Apocalypse is harder than Nocturne and IV. Bosses were a real challenge in that one. And I had to drop the difficulty to easy to beat the final boss, even then he was a freaking challenge.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Apocalypse has its shares of challenging bosses from beginning to end. The final boss is particularly legendary.

IV vanilla is brain dead after Minotaur, except for Beelzebub which is optional. Also, use every incense you get on your character and watch him be as strong as a lv99 when you reach lv50. It's crazy how unbalanced this game was.

Never played more than minutes of the first 2 tho.

Matador is not nearly as hard as some other bosses later in the game imo. I mean, he's kind of a tutorial boss that teaches the player evasion and accuracy are important, while some later bosses will be tough even after you learned all the lessons.
Matador is basically a tutorial boss, he's hard the first time when you don't know what to do. Nocturne has other bosses that are hard even when you're fully prepared.
I guess that's the part I don't really agree, hes the only one who killed me more than once and after him there's not really any boss (besides beelzebub, fuck that guy and maybe Trumpeter) who made me sweat a bit. For most of them, I could go in with not much prep and be OK. That's on normal difficulty were I played at least.

Meanwhile with SMT4 I didn't get far enough on normal for it to become a walkover like everyone says it does, I pretty much chickened out to easy early on lol.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
4 is pretty unbalanced. Once you get out of the linear intro segments, it's really easy to gain XP & LVs very quickly just by going to different side areas.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
IV probably, although honestly outside of unlucky random encounters that totally blindside you Nocturne's reputation is a bit overblown imo. Matador is difficult if you haven't fully grasped the importance of buffs/debuffs and the turn system, but if you can get over that hump it's pretty smooth sailing!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play 1 or 2, but each one is quirky in their own way.

IV is astronomically brutal and gets easier as it goes.
IV Apocalypse is easy breezy until the endgame.
Strange Journey is pretty easy until the midgame where luck takes the wheel. I flat out couldn't beat this game.

Even though I haven't beat Nocturne, I vote it for easiest. So far it's been a breeze with my physical build. I bet it gets harder, ofc, but unless it gets to a nonsensical level like IV Apocalypse where I was literally at level 99 and was stuck on the final boss for hours, it'll prob be easier as a whole.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
SMT1 gets super easy as soon as you can get nerve bullets aside from a couple of battles. And then later there are the charm bullets which are even better.

Nov 1, 2020
I'm going with 2, because I was able to achieve the holy grail of being able to safely get through the majority of late game random encounters with brain dead autobattle.
(IIRC, locking enemies with guns and zio/bufu still required manually entering each turn)
(the trick is that you need a melee weapon that targets all and inflicts something that locks down the enemy; I prefer the Majou-sen because Ice is less likely to be resisted in late game from what I remember)

For the stuff that trick doesn't work against? *coughGirimehkalacough* It turns out that in 2, using Mudoon against something weak to Death almost always hits. Like, I'm not entirely sure that I can recall any misses off the top of my head right now.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
SMTIV without a doubt!

Apocalypse to an extent, Nocturne was balanced so it was a challenge during my first playthrough

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I haven't played all of them (never finished Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2), but Shin Megami Tensei 4 was probably the easiest, overall. That said, it's opening hours are pretty brutal, despite the fact that you can save anywhere in the game.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
For the stuff that trick doesn't work against? *coughGirimehkalacough* It turns out that in 2, using Mudoon against something weak to Death almost always hits. Like, I'm not entirely sure that I can recall any misses off the top of my head right now.
This is also true of 1, at least with high magic characters iirc.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 3, 4, and SJ, and I'd say SMTIV was the easiest overall. SJ wasn't too bad until one of the last bosses forced me to grind.

Granted, I felt like I had more party wipes in SMTIV, and the encounter rate felt higher than it has ever been. Minotaur is hard because of awful AI giving him Smirk. I beat almost all of the later bosses first try, though. I was actually surprised what a pushover the two-phase bosses were.

Nocturne, on the other hand, had me dying on the first attempts at bosses. And I found some of the later bosses in the TDE run pretty rough.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
The ones ive played dont tend to be too difficult imo outside of some boss fight difficulty spikes, like you're probably never gonna get killed by a mob enemy unless you get hit by an unlucky mudo or something. After the initial hump 4 was way too easy though.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
4, but 1's pretty easy too once you make it a little bit into the game.

I would say 4A and SJ are the harder ones for me of the ones on that list, but I play Nocturne on Normal and 4A on Hard so it's maybe a little unfair to directly compare them.