• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm always curious on this one. Is high school "childhood?" Or even maybe early college years? Is childhood defined by a sense of nostalgia or what?

I think I generally consider my cutoff high school. By high school I was fully plugged into the internet and learning about the big bad world besides just my community and the books I read in school. And I think that opened my worldview up a lot. But maybe it's even earlier? Do some people see middle school as "young adult?"

Is there a meaningful difference between childhood and young adulthood?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Childhood goes away when you graduate, IMO. You never realize how much you've grown up until that point, and from there on out it's all business.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Once you do your own taxes. There are plenty of people I've known who's parents still claimed them because of how dependent they were. And even tho they were all technically adults, they really were children.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
When i gained certain levels of self awareness / shame. There's probably 2 moments I can point at, one at a very early age and the other at 11 years old or so.

Literal "put down the toys" moments.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
If you want a more depressing answer from me, I'd say when you learn the concept of money and bills.

I had to worry where rent money was going to come from at the ripe age of 8. Thanks, parents.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Moving out of my parents' house and taking care of myself. It's a sea change living on your own.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Probably halfway through my freshman year of high school when a friend snuck a bottle of schnapps to a sleepover and my life changed forever.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Entering high school. I grew up in a tiny ass town where I went to school with the same 20 kids from kindergarten through senior year. But, highschool was still a shift where I feel like I started choosing new friends who shared my interests instead of simply being best friends with the person who lived next to me.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Could be a couple different answers for me, because I grew up kinda fast due to my household situation. So on one hand I can say by the time I was 12, I was already dealing with real shit. No later than 15 when I left my parents home, that was kind of a definitive cut off point.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I remember my mind changing and I suddenly saw the world differently around 19 or so.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Entering high school. I grew up in a tiny ass town where I went to school with the same 20 kids from kindergarten through senior year. But, highschool was still a shift where I feel like I started choosing new friends who shared my interests instead of simply being best friends with the person who lived next to me.

Yeah, I went to a K-8 school, so I knew many of those kids for a very long time. Some of them went to my high school but the high school was like 3x larger than my elementary/middle school and most of it was new people.

I consider 12/13 the cut off

After that you get exposed to the mean kids in school who will probably make you smoke a cigarette or steal a book from the library

There's some truth to this as well, I remember middle school being when I felt like I was first exposed to real bullying.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I consider 12/13 the cut off

After that you get exposed to the mean kids in school who will probably make you smoke a cigarette or steal a book from the library

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
June 17th, 1999 is the day my childhood ended, as I graduated from high school that Thursday night.

From that moment forward, I was an adult, whether I wanted to be or not.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I remember my mind changing and I suddenly saw the world differently around 19 or so.

For me I'd say about every 5 years I reach a new "breakthrough point," starting from 14/15, then 19/20, etc. I'm almost 30 and my worldview has changed fairly drastically even in the last 5ish years.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
For me I'd say about every 5 years I reach a new "breakthrough point," starting from 14/15, then 19/20, etc. I'm almost 30 and my worldview has changed fairly drastically even in the last 5ish years.
I would agree with this for certain. I just have a distinct memory of some loss of - I wish I had a better word - innocence around then. I had moved out of my home, away from my family, had no money and shit was rough. The only one that came close to that was having a child.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Childhood ended at age 10 when I learned I was too big for the McDonald's play place, which was a huge disappointment since being a very small person was the closest thing I had ever had to a physical talent up to that point

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
When I was like 12 I think I hit puberty and my personality changed pretty suddenly, so to me that's always been when I'd stop calling myself a kid.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Honestly I was pretty sheltered as a kid, so it wasn't til my late teens that I really stopped considering myself a kid.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
There was no clean breakoff point. It's one long transition into a more practical and informed mindset.

I didn't feel like I was fully mature at 30. Guess I'll keep learning forever. Which is fine.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
first year of uni for me

high school was the time of halo 3, cod4 and brawl. the good times.

no such good times in university

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I guess after you graduate high school, but I always consider 18-20 part of my childhood only because I was so young and honestly those 2 or 3 years after high school were the best times of my life.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it happens when you start showing some independence and start taking on some responsibilities. This happens at a different age for different people.

For me, I'd say my childhood ended around 13/14 when I started working and saving up for a car. I bought my first car at 15 and I drove cross-country from South Carolina to California by myself when I was 16. Whereas my son is 17 and still doesn't drive and has no urgency to work. I still consider him in his "childhood" even though he's headed off to college this fall (assuming COVID will allow it).

Some people simply grow up faster than others. It's why you'll see some adults lament that they didn't have much of a childhood and with other adults we wonder if they'll ever grow-up.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno. I'm 25 and still feel like I haven't reached the end of my childhood, from a personal development standpoint.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
2006. I was 12 at the time, so in terms of age it's not abnormal, but honestly the big thing that changed that year is I started going on the internet and interacting with teenagers on a regular basis. I felt like that was the year I grew out of only ever paying attention to culture meant for children.

I consider childhood and teenage years to be a separate thing. My teenage years basically never ended....I'm still living with my parents and I still do shit like staying up until 4 AM playing video games on a regular basis, even though I have a "real" job.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Just in terms of 'memories', 2010. Started high school and, even though I'm only 24 (so I'm still just a young adult), I don't think of high school as being my 'childhood', middle school and earlier is childhood.

High school is my adolescence.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
18 for me. I have no idea what to call the period between 18-26 but it wasn't until 26 that I started feeling even close to being an adult. (31 now)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

It's when I really started to consider who I was in relation to other people instead of just what I wanted/what felt good. When birthdays stopped being an event. When I didn't have sleepovers with friends anymore. When all the goofy, innocent shenanigans like me and my friends lining up crushed goldfish crackers and snorting them, pretending we were doing cocaine, and thinking it was soooo funny because it was actually goldfish, ended. (No, that never turned to real cocaine). When drama started to become heavy and real instead of self-pitying and simply "less than ideal." When I stopped being an extension of my parents and really leaned into my own identity separate from them.

Sure, up until about age 19/20 I was still a kid in comparison to what being an actual adult is like. But 16 is when the shift happened, and noticeably so.