• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Coffeeshops are pretty popular here in the Netherlands if you know what i mean,

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. We love our coffee (Finland)
74177725_1407456402738766_5773705247314673664_n.jpg

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There are dozens of new coffee shops being opened here in my city each year.

Every day, one/some of my coworker would arrive at the office while holding a cup of coffee. We also order them at least once a day.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, im close to princeton. when me and my gf get coffee there, its usually at some boutique wanna be hipster coffee shop thats over crowded because everyone wants to get an instagram picture of them drinking. In order to show the world how "cultured" they are.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the states. We really don't have much in the way of culture.

But you can find coffee pretty much everywhere.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Both Afternoon Tea and Cream Tea are the fucking tits though. Never pass up an opportunity to have either.

I can live without afternoon/high teas, though it depends on the quality of the cakes. I always feel like, "Seriously, do I have to eat a crappy sandwich before I get to the good stuff?"

Cream teas are the best thing our country has ever created.
I went somewhere last summer that did one with ginger scones and honey instead of jam. Amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
But experience tells me that Swedes tend to think it is something uniquely Swedish.

Nah I don't really think so, and it's not really Swedish, it's more Nordic than Swedish.

I agree with you, but there are alot of articles, books and other form of media talking about it, the Fika culture is not really about just coffee really either. But yeah, it was more of a thing in the past.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
In my current area, the state of Oklahoma, a lot of people do soda in the morning like Coke or Dr. Pepper instead of coffee. This seems incredibly strange to me as my area of origin, the state of New Jersey, does coffee. As in Dunkin Donuts coffee. A lot of people despise DD's coffee but it's part of my DNA and I love it.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have any coffee palaces (sounds amazing) but we do have some local owned coffee roasters/shops that I will always favor over Starbucks

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I seldom drink coffee but if I do I prefer Turkish variety, without sugar.

What I care more is about honey and yoghurt culture and fortunately there is much variety where I live.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Starbucks as far as the eye can see.
(But I hate their coffee.)

We have one shopping center that has TWO Starbucks - one inside a grocery store and one outside next to the grocery store. It's so weird.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caribou Coffee is the Starbucks of Minnesota (it's better, too, though I like both).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Its layered and pretty central to our lifestyle.
1. You have the college joints where the college kids hang out between classes or in the mornings.
2. You have the play rooms which overlap with the college joints and have playstations and the like to play Pro Evo or other "jock' genre videogames, sorta dying out now.
3. You have the more traditional play rooms which are another facet of the college joints where people play board games, card games, and Backgammon.
- Small note that Backgammon is played EVERYWHERE.
4. You have the hip and happening chic stores where everyone goes to and there are like 3 or 4 main strips full of stores on rotation.
5. You have the smaller leftist joints that are more hipster and aren't exactly college joints.
6. You have the kafeneia which are smaller neighborhood stores where the 3rd age citizens and some of the younger 50 and 60 year old guys of the neighborhood get together and drink coffee play backgammon and play some cards which also in the afternoon turn into a hangout joint with more booze consumption along with mezedes.
7. Take out stores that offer cheap to go coffees including breakfast snacks and what not, think American delis without the selling of other products.

And most of the stores in #4 usually act as a winebar after a certain hour well into the night till around 1AM. When we aren't lounging around enjoying our coffee we are sitting around enjoying our booze, its a simple life.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
This may seem like a weird question, but elaborate culture around drinks like coffee and tea is incredibly common, and I'm still surprised at how in depth these cultures are. I mean...they used to build PALACES specifically for coffee drinking. The Viennese Coffee House is considered an "Intangible Cultural Heritage" by UNESCO. Apparently Britain is insane about Tea. And Boston...yeah, enough said.

I read that as UNATCO and thought that must be the dystopian future timeline i'd slid into

I'm in the UK so yeah TEA, but also theres a lot of Coffee drunk here, in my home city of Leeds they are everyewhere, the the chains are well chains, although Starbucks does tend to buy old buildings and renovate them, typically old banks and credit unions knocking around in the city or suburbs , which is really good to not let some historic architecture fall into ruin. Then there's independent ones everywhere, where i work in the city theres loads, like a coffee shop on the bottom floor of our building which has an artifical cherry tree in the centre of the place with fake plants covering the walls (looks awesome but the new owners have alienated local business by stopping discounts - even for bringing your own cup), theres one across the street that even has its own pet beagle (its the owners but he lets him sleep on the sofa inside and people love him)

Not seen anything about energy drinks, Monster is more of a joke that tasteless people plaster their branding over things

Dec 24, 2017
Reminds me, I haven't been the the ginormous Starbucks roasters/palace they opened in Chicago yet.

My hands down favorite coffee place is Sawada, where Green St Meats is. My go to is the local Starbucks because they have my drink for me going as soon as I walk in and haven't charged me full price for it in about a year. But I think it's always tipping in cash for a long time that has been noticed. That and I'm there at least once a day.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Starbucks as far as the eye can see.
(But I hate their coffee.)

We have one shopping center that has TWO Starbucks - one inside a grocery store and one outside next to the grocery store. It's so weird.

We had 3 in one shopping area for a short time. One stand alone Starbucks, one in a Target, and one in a grocery store. The standalone and Target ones are still there

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I would also like to point out that people who drink Energy drinks and soda in the morning are terrible people and should feel shame.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
My office used to make Cuban coffee daily, now there's one of those coffee pod things. Seems like only the owner uses it though.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Nah I don't really think so, and it's not really Swedish, it's more Nordic than Swedish.

I agree with you, but there are alot of articles, books and other form of media talking about it, the Fika culture is not really about just coffee really either. But yeah, it was more of a thing in the past.

I agree to an extent. It feels a bit like high tea and the UK, it was a thing a while back and some people do occasionally still do it (and to an extent, tea breaks with baked goods feel pretty much like a "fika") but its importance has really faded over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree to an extent. It feels a bit like high tea and the UK, it was a thing a while back and some people do occasionally still do it (and to an extent, tea breaks with baked goods feel pretty much like a "fika") but its importance has really faded over the years.

Exactly, for me Fika means either a break at work, meeting a friend for lunch or coffee haha.

But of course the whole concept is hyped to an ridicilous degree.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles has great coffee but not really a coffee culture per se. The unfortunate part of it is that most 'good' shops are closed by 4-5. Sometimes I want a latte at 8 pm and I'm out of luck.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah San Francisco is sort of a coffee town, and so is Oakland where I reside now. But honestly, these 3rd wave joints blend together after a while and it's all clout and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
"Let's go to Starbucks" -- usually to get something really unhealthy to take out. I don't participate.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
We had 3 in one shopping area for a short time. One stand alone Starbucks, one in a Target, and one in a grocery store. The standalone and Target ones are still there

It's the only business model I can think of with the philosphy of "you can never have too many" and it somehow works.

Edit: When I was in Switzerland, I had some amzing coffee every morning at the hotel, and I asked if there were any coffee shops around. "There's a great one down the street."
So, we go out and sure enough, there is a line out the door for this coffee shop. Oh, this is going to be so good. We get closer... it's a Starbucks.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We drink coffee 24/7 in Seattle. There are small independent roasters absolutely everywhere and people are often fiercely loyal. There are also a crazy amount of Starbucks locations as it's their base of operations. There are multiple spots downtown with two or three on the same block. You can sit in one Starbucks and look at another one.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Since I live in Costa Rica, where we swear by our coffee...

I think I drink around 8 or 10kg per year, by myself.
Not counting the inevitable social coffee drinking that is ingrained on our culture.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
In southern california it just depends on the coffee spot. Plenty are built for studying or hang outs/dates. Some are too small and thus are grab and go type deals. Iced drinks seem to be king.

Oct 28, 2017
Around here we have a very strong culture of caffeinated wine drinking with the most esteemed brand being Buckfast.

There are two fairly distinct subcultures - 'neds' and 'jakeys' - although the Minimum Unit Pricing policy has tended to price the latter group out of the market.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
I'm from Melbourne, so coffee culture's huge. One of the few instances in our country where the large chains have been outright rejected in favour of independent cafes. Starbucks is closing shops left and right.
But besides that there's nothing glamourous about it. People just drink a lot of high quality coffee in casual spaces.

I dunno, Degreaves St and the alleyways have a bit of a thing about them. Tourists have definitely taken notice.

Anyway, while I really don't agree with a lot of the proclamations Melbournians/Australian make about ourselves, I do whole heartedly agree that we have the best coffee.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to make tea at home. Making coffee-shop quality coffee at home requires an expensive machine which most people don't have. Also, I think we had coffee culture before we fell in love with tea.
I use a French press at home and the coffee produced from it destroys anything I've had at a cafe or restaurant. Bean quality and brewing method are the most important factors in my experience.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver has tons of bubble tea places (and thankfully almost no one here calls it "boba"). It was also one of the earliest places to have Starbucks culture so that's even more ingrained than Tim Hortons compared to other places in Canada.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I was just joking. Energy drinks taste like gasoline and Kool Aid, but to each their own.

I thought it was a slam on the people who drink it, which isn't entirely unwarranted. I grew up around the extreme sports crowd, and it has a lot of assholes. A lot of those people SWEAR by Monster, it's almost scary.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
There isn't one.

Or there is and I just don't know about it because I don't drink coffee or tea.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I'm in Eastern Washington, and I think if you fill out a form and make a small deposit they'll open a Starbucks in your yard. Or a Dutch Bros. I personally never developed a taste for coffee, and can barely tolerate the smell, but boy, is it everywhere and in any variety you can imagine.

I'm also pretty sure half my co-workers exclusively subsist on Bang energy drinks. To each their own.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Also, Austin has High Brew Coffee, which is fucking delicious. I also think it's cool Shakira has investment in the company (makes sense due to her being from the same region).

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I thought it was a slam on the people who drink it, which isn't entirely unwarranted. I grew up around the extreme sports crowd, and it has a lot of assholes. A lot of those people SWEAR by Monster, it's almost scary.

Yeah, I mean one of the big brands is "Rockstar". You can't get much dorkier than drinking something called "Rockstar" in the morning.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
We have 5 roasteries/cafes in a couple mile radius, and a few other great coffee places that don't roast their own beans. Lots of competition and honestly they're all great.