• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's great.

If you're looking for a fun game to play with multiple endings and choices that change the game, look no further.

If you're looking for deep meaning and life changing narrative, you're in the wrong place. (Wrong medium, really.)

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
In my mind, it's a pretty fun story with some great moments.

The problem is that it wants you to take it deadly seriously, which makes the flaws stand out and kinda really affect the game. For some people at least.

I think so long as you don't try and take it too seriously it's hard to hate it too much. But the minute you start to try and look at the game on any kind of deeper than surface level so much of it crumbles apart.

That said I don't want to imply that the people who think it's good aren't paying attention or anything. A lot of people genuinely loved it, so your mileage may vary. Plot and logic inconsistencies mean basically nothing of the emotional impact of the plot is enough to justify them.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good. I completely disagree with the snobbery about it. Like Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted 3 it's a fantastic, ambitious game that a lot of people enjoy dismissing.

The level of choice is really something. You really can affect the trajectory of the story in numerous ways. The characters look incredible, they are some of the most fully realized characters in gaming. The detail in the faces is incredible.

I thought the story was very well done, and the moment to moment writing was strong. Clancy Brown's character really stands out.

The game is gorgeous to look at and smart.

Clearly mileage will vary on that, but I think it's a great game.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The general consensus I've seen is that it's QD's best title overall, especially in terms of gameplay. It feels like your decisions matter more than in the other games. Also it feels like there are more choices to make.

It's a David Cage game though, so it's still somewhat polarizing. Personally I thought that Heavy Rain's cast was more interesting - only Hank and Connor really stand out. There's a reason why people want a sequel with just them.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The best game in branching narrative out there where ur decisions actually impact the story, the places you visit, the destiny of the characters around you, etc.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
The game is gorgeous to look at and smart.
While I disagree with most of your assessment, this one really stands out, there is nothing smart about any of this game. It's pretty, sure, and I won't argue that there isn't enjoyment to be had, but calling this game smart is a stretch by any metric abd a disservice to good writing and actually intelligent games. The story was extremely basic and filled with tropes and cliches with barely any Characters showing any depth. Adding holocaust or slavery imagery doesn't make it smart, but rather manipulative at best. Don't be that guy who dismisses reasonable criticism with "snobbery". You can enjoy something and still see the massive flaws it has....

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
Best QD game by far, story is pretty weak overall though.

When playing it I had plans to go back and try different branches, but after one full playthrough I had no motivation to do so.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Deviancy is planned obsolescence. The entire plot is a gambit by CyberLife to sell more androids.

There, I just saved you from going on a convoluted path to get the true ending. This game is tripe that apes a lot painful imagery to say nothing but gets a pass because of its high production values.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Adding holocaust or slavery imagery doesn't make it smart, but rather manipulative at best.

dunno what QD's mission statement was but i'd imagine being manipulative was the point

writing was a little too base for my liking but all in all it was alright. as heady as the moral quandries of AI can be i dunno how many other ways they could've taken it, especially when you're in the driver's seat. you want civil rights fine, you want them recycled into igloo coolers, your call

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Two of the three storylines were really good and people complain about the third, but it isn't that bad. Just understand that it's a story about personal journeys, not big, mythology-shaking twists.

The process of jumping around the timeline and making little changes to see how they change the outcome is fascinating. The third act changes completely based on your decisions and I thought it was a lot of fun to explore the narrative.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it. Beautiful but dumb. My god the writting balance between sufficient and idiotic.

Art direction is stellar.

Also the game lies to you at the end so you dont get the best endings and have to go through again

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Hank is one of the best characters. He KNOWS he is stuck in a silly video game.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
One of my fave games ever. And definitely the best game currently at having a branching narrative.

Connor is also one of the best new characters recently.

🤷🏻‍♀️

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Technically impressive, weak story but my main problem is that the world doesn't make sense to me.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Its on sale right now for $8 on PSN. I think its worth it at that price. Engaging plot overall- Connor is the most interesting and fun character to see develop. There are many cringe inducing, on-the-nose racial allegories going on (too many to count). Plot holes and inconsistencies aside, if you take it at face value its a fun 10 hour romp.

Edit: just saw the sale has now passed. I'm sure it'll go up again.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
If you've played a Quantic Dream game before, then you know what you're in for. But, it is the best game the dev has done to date. And it's a good game. If it's on sale, definitely get it. Interesting story and characters.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the best games this generation. Part of me might even say it's the best PS4 exclusive and I fucking loved Spider-Man and Uncharted 4.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Their best title to date. And the best example of that genre imo. It offers legitimate, often complex and impactful branching that we haven't really seen since heavy rain, but with a story with far fewer plot holes. Looks stunning too!

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games this gen. Worth playing for the soundtrack alone, there's nothing else like it.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing it.
Loved talking to mate about what played out differently in his playthrough (standard for QD games).

Really enjoyed the game. Story is quite standard.

Would really like a Connor + Hank 3rd person Open world detective game where you play with both of them, on a post Detroit game Detroit with Androids and Humans living together.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An impressive achievement in multiple respects, and peerless in its genre

A no brainer if you like story games or the themes/setting

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
WAixGZHGxhbNglXo6RJs2lTK5nzZS-Y4w4YAfAo_AsU.jpg

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great. Amazing music too. I got the happy ending. Been thinking of playing again for an "evil" ending.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From a technical and acting standpoint it's fantastic and has a ton of replayability through variation.

That said, its civil rights parallels are extremely clumsy and feel like an amalgam of every notable civil rights moment in history with no real indication that the director understood the meaning behind them. Also doesn't mesh well with them being robots