• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again though, it's because the amount of people that subscribe just for the month those shows drop gives them reason to. If you look at stats it shows subscriptions rise as certain shows come up or drop. Sometimes you'll see huge spikes when the meta popularity drives conversations, like Tuca and Bertie or Bojack. The Netflix model does not care how good a show is. when it stops making those numbers spike around release, it's worthless to them.

And you're just repeating my point in more verbose terms. Really popular shows are generally not canceled abruptly unless something else happened (creator is a shit head, controversy of some kind, etc.). Shows that get people to resubscribe are popular.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Battletoads.

/s

I actually didn't grow up with any of them. Despite having TV and enjoying Mario and Sonic at that time, I somehow didn't watch any of their cartoons.

it's sort of hard to go back, too. I tried watching some of the super show, and without any nostalgia for it, it was pretty rough. I'd imagine the same is true, if not worse, for sonic.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I grew up on the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, so I'll always have a soft spot for it, but I think the Netflix Castlevania series is excellent. Genuinely entertaining, well written, and with the right amount of fan service, while also feeling like its own thing. I love it.

There are a lot more quality cartoons based off of video games than, say, movies based off of video games, of that, I think we can all agree XD XD

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
.hack started as a game first right? Some of those series might be up there. Actually just looked and the anime was released first but they were worked on at the same time.

My heart is going with the Rockman.EXE anime / Megaman NT Warrior.

Shoutouts to Bass.EXE

LastWideBandicoot-max-1mb.gif

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've felt the quality took a dive after the second season and

they killed him off, because now there really isn't a goal for these characters anymore
You know it's a plot point in the games that

he is often and frequently resurrected, right? He'll be back

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
My answer... Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

No, not the animated series. But the PBS game show. (Shame it's not a cartoon... I ought to watch it sometime.)

I used to watch that. That catchy tune would always get stuck in my head too.

I watched the animated series as well, even though I don't think there were that many episodes.

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
And you're just repeating my point in more verbose terms. Really popular shows are generally not canceled abruptly unless something else happened (creator is a shit head, controversy of some kind, etc.). Shows that get people to resubscribe are popular.
It's not 1 for 1 though! So Netflix drops Stranger Things. 1 million people sub, 1.5 million watch then a month later half leave. Netflix drops Castlevania, 100k sub 500k watch and none leave. Then when Stranger Things s2 comes, 600k people sub 2mil people watch and then 300k leave. Castlevania comes, 50k people sub, 1 million people watch and only some leave. To Netflix, Castlevania is now a failure because even though the people that it brought in stayed and many people watched, it didn't move the metrics much. That's not the same as "popular shows are not cancelled". Netflix choices are not guided by popular and unpopular or good or bad. If a show sucks but drives new traffic, it stays. If a good show gets all subs to watch but adds no new ones, a good chance Netflix will cancel it.