• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best one?

• Batman '89

Votes: 145 34.9%
  • Superman '78

Votes: 81 19.5%
  • Batman Forever

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Batman Returns

Votes: 62 14.9%
  • Superman II

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 87 20.9%

• Total voters

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Burton's Batman #1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990 #2
The Crow #3
Blade #4
Supes 78 #5

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Superman 78
giphy.gif

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I have a soft spot for The Shadow, holds up quite well today too. Get the bluray.
-1616412738267286610.jpg
Batman 1989 before and after 2000.

I saw someone post Robocop so if that counts it would be between those two for me.

Blade as someone else posted is excellent as well.
fYVDEz1.gif

Superman 78' is the best pure superhero movie, but the Crow is my favorite probably, I can watch it over and over, just a great movie.
All good stuff and very close, especially Batman 89/Returns.

But my heart belongs to another

the_rocketeer_h_2016.jpg

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I fucking love Blade, but when it came out I didn't know it was based on a comic. I never really considered it a superhero movie haha.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Superman, easily. It pretty much invented the superhero genre of films as we know them.

It gave us the best Superman ever and managed the difficult balance between being too light and having real substance.

Yes most of the effects are pretty ropey these days but considering it's over 40 years old the vast majority of it holds up extremely well. Plus I'd argue that it's still the best shot superhero film made, some of the shots and framing are genuinely beautiful - and all in camera.

I'll concede that other people may pick other films they consider to be the 'best', but in terms of importance nothing comes close to Donner's film.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to decide between Superman 78 and Batman 89. I gave it to Superman because of the score... I'll never not get goosebumps when the main theme ramps up.

The other films in the poll don't belong on any best of lists! I'd also happily support Blade on the list.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Mask of the Phantasm it is. And probably the Matrix considering the heavy Invisibles influence.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Completely forgot this, I love The Rocketeer. I was gutted that it did so badly as it's fantastic. I even remember the first thing I ever heard in home surround sound was the zeppelin coming into view over the observatory in the film.

Shame Bill Campbell never became a bigger star as he had great charisma and Cliff was basically an earlier version of Brendan Fraser's character from The Mummy.

As for how how Jennifer Connolly looked in this. As a 14 year old at the time, ooooff!

4bwznzu7xdk21.jpg

I honestly think they should reboot it. It's a perfect fit for those frothy action adventure films you don't see anymore.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Completely forgot this, I love The Rocketeer. I was gutted that did so badly as it's fantastic. I even remember the first thing I ever heard in home surround sound was the zeppelin coming into view over the observatory in the film.

Shame Bill Campbell never became a bigger star as he had great charisma and Cliff was basically an earlier version of Brendan Fraser's character from The Mummy.

As for how how Jennifer Connolly was in this. As a 14 year old at the time, ooooff!

4bwznzu7xdk21.jpg

I honestly think they should reboot it. It's a perfect fit for those frothy action adventure films you don't see anymore.
BZyKwiy.gif

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have a soft spot for Batman Returns. It's just so over the top and goofy, but at the same time so very much creepy and weird. Penguin freaked me out as a kid. But still I was drawn to this film.

... and as I write this I realize I haven't seen it for like... 10 years I guess?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
How has nobody said this yet?

911Uj80t8CL._SY879_.jpg
I ADORE this film, and was pleasantly surprised to find my daughters enjoyed it when I showed it to them a few years back, but it doesn't belong on a superhero list. Hell, it's not going to make many best of lists period... maybe best cameo by a Blue Peter presenter? :p

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Blade not in the poll

bc it's Blade

Where's my Mystery Men at?

I used to love that movie as a kid... I love it a lot less since I recently rewatched it tbh.

It's not particularly bad, but it's really mediocre (despite its cast). It's also way less quotable than you'd expect.

(Though I still have a soft spot for the film)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I ADORE this film, and was pleasantly surprised to find my daughters enjoyed it when I showed it to them a few years back, but it doesn't belong on a superhero list. Hell, it's not going to make many best of lists period... maybe best cameo by a Blue Peter presenter? :p

Hah! Whenever I think of Flash Gordon there are two things that stick out. One is the death of Klytus (the guy in the mask) when his eyes pop out for some reason. And the second is the somewhat distracting appearance of Peter 'Duncan Dares' Duncan. Still, better him than Simon Groom!