• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've been ignoring Sekiro but now I know it will only have a single weapon.

Is it going to have a Moonlight arm tool thing
DPN3qef.png

Unfortunately Miyazaki has already stated that the sword is not in the game.

I'm still holding out hope that he's just messing with us so they can surprise us.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The world is ready for the Moonlight Odachi
Unfortunately Miyazaki has already stated that the sword is not in the game.

I'm still holding out hope that he's just messing with us so they can surprise us.
It's looking dark based on what Miyazaki has said in interviews but I refuse to believe that it won't be a nod somewhere in there.
Game confirmed ruined.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Moonlight Greatsword being From's signature is such a wonderfully weird touch. Is there a story as to why that became the unifying element across most of the games they've had a hand in?

Yes,

In Dark Souls 1 , is a weapon derived from Seath's tail which grants the weapon high Int stats which is linked to Seath nature to be weak on physycal strenght but granted wisdown for the one who wields the sword

In Dark Souls 2, Is a Heirloom weapon which passed generations on Jugos family, sadly the weapon is a fake and the original was lost in time, you can still get the original moonlight on NG+ which was recreated again this time from Seath Soul (which is non canon) dropped by Freya, the spiders were living on a dragon corpse which still have its soul feeding the spiders.

You can check the sword is fake because is based on STR and DEX but no Int bonuses this time

In Dark Souls 3, The weapon is build from Oceiros , the mad king soul who ascended to be a dragon by the amount of knowlegde he gained studying Seath on the Grand archives on Lothric, so the sword gains Int stats again and have a pasive spell on his strong attack

In Bloodborne, the Moonlight was manufactured to be used on Ludwig Hunters to fight bigger monsters than the average infected people like Clerics, Phumerian and other hunters started to get infected by the old blood which was kept in secret to the town people, the sword changed its stats to dextery and strength since it was mass produced to be used by hunters

Later on the DLC the moonlight was expanded, the weapon was designed over Ludwig original Moonlight sword which he never take it away from him since the sword bring him calm and helped him countless times to not feel into the bloodlust , sadly that was his downfall allowing him to transform into a beast losing without losing his mind.

The church decided to seal him away on the Old Hunters Nightmare, in secret, unaware of Ludwig knowledge the sword have spirits inside the blade that allows anyone near to regain his sanity , said spirits being benign in nature.

In general, in Souls games, the weapon represent the culmination of Seath's great wisdown without reaching the insanity level he had to achieve due gaining that much knowledge. getting knowledge which drive anyone insane an is a usual trend on Souls games so the sword borns on a small fraction of Seath (his tail) and Oceiros Soul which was more fragile than Seath and less consumed by insanity since Oceiros just studied Seath's work

In Bloodborne the sword drives sanity which is the contrary of Souls Moonlight at the cost of the wielder to live longer than expected due the limit use on magic on Yharman , the sword itselft need to be filled by willpower to work , an easy task for a hunter

Last edited:

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
If you count the moonlight spell in DS3, that's my favorite. It's the closest you'll get to using it like Ludwig.

Yes,

In Dark Souls 1 , is a weapon derived from Seath's tail which grants the weapon high Int stats which is linked to Seath nature to be weak on physycal strenght but granted wisdown for the one who wields the sword

In Dark Souls 2, Is a Heirloom weapon which passed generations on Jugos family, sadly the weapon is a fake and the original was lost in time, you can still get the original moonlight on NG+ which was recreated again this time from Seath Soul (which is non canon) dropped by Freya, the spiders were living on a dragon corpse which still have its soul feeding the spiders.

You can check the sword is fake because is based on STR and DEX but no Int bonuses this time

In Dark Souls 3, The weapon is build from Oceiros , the mad king soul who ascended to be a dragon by the amount of knowlegde he gained studying Seath on the Grand archives on Lothric, so the sword gains Int stats again and have a pasive spell on his strong attack

In Bloodborne, the Moonlight was manufactured to be used on Ludwig Hunters to fight bigger monsters than the average infected people like Clerics, Phumerian and other hunters started to get infected by the old blood which was kept in secret to the town people, the sword changed its stats to dextery and strength since it was mass produced to be used by hunters

Later on the DLC the moonlight was expanded, the weapon was designed over Ludwig original Moonlight sword which he never take it away from him since the sword bring him calm and helped him countless times to not feel into the bloodlust , sadly that was his downfall allowing him to transform into a beast losing without losing his mind.

The church decided to seal him away on the Old Hunters Nightmare, in secret, unaware of Ludwig knowledge the sword have spirits inside the blade that allows anyone near to regain his sanity , said spirits being benign in nature.

In general, in Souls games, the weapon represent the culmination of Seath's great wisdown without reaching the insanity level he had to achieve due gaining that much knowledge. getting knowledge which drive anyone insane an is a usual trend on Souls games so the sword borns on a small fraction of Seath (his tail) and Oceiros Soul which was more fragile than Seath and less consumed by insanity since Oceiros just studied Seath's work

In Bloodborne the sword drives sanity which is the contrary of Souls Moonlight at the cost of the wielder to live longer than expected due the limit use on magic on Yharman , the sword itselft need to be filled by willpower to work , an easy task for a hunter
I mean in From's games in general. This thread has revealed that it's been in many games across the company's history, dating all the way back to King's Field and even wound up in games that they didn't develop like 3D Dot Heroes. That's what I was wondering about.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean in From's games in general. This thread has revealed that it's been in many games across the company's history, dating all the way back to King's Field and even wound up in games that they didn't develop like 3D Dot Heroes. That's what I was wondering about.

No idea then, is more like FROM signature alonside Patches as Bungie love for the number 7 (and marathon simbol= in most of their games

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
The one from Bloodborne is a hell of a redesign, feel in love completely. My second runner up is the one from demon's souls. I love Dark Souls 1 MLGS too but the transparent stained glass is a bit too hard to notice.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne BY FAR.

Ludwig's boss fight is the best fight in the entire game, and his second phase with the sword is FUCKING EPIC

THE MONOLOGUE, THE DESIGN, THE TRANSFORMATION

Holy shit

Also it is the weapon I managed to beat Orphan of Kos so THANK YOU

Dec 14, 2017
Yes,

Great summary of it's presence in Souls games (and BB). As for the greater reason, it's first in KF and associated with a white dragon boss, not sure on the exact details if it's a drop or something from it. But it's inclusion in DeS from the slug group always felt pretty odd, there are plenty of dragons in that game after all, why is it just hanging in a swamp? It seems like a late addition or a fun easter egg, but that little inclusion has been expanded and carried forth with a new game-spanning theme in subsequent Souls games. It's appearance in other From games is just like other nods that develops do in their games, similar to Bungie's use of the number 7 as mentioned by someone else.

Anyways, good that signal bumped this thread, as it's inclusion in Sekiro will be really interesting. It would be neat if the player can't equip it this time, and you fight a boss that uses it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyways, good that signal bumped this thread, as it's inclusion in Sekiro will be really interesting. It would be neat if the player can't equip it this time, and you fight a boss that uses it.
I wonder if Miyazaki is just misleading people or if it will make some appearance as something besides an equipable weapon or arm tool. Of course it's not mandatory but when you consider the amount of games its in, you'd think it would be obvious! Then again it is an equipable weapon in every single game it's in, so if Sekiro really just has one weapon and they can't really figure out a way to make it work as a tool, maybe it really won't be in at all, or if it is it will be relegated to a boss using it like you said.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Holy Moonlight blade. That reveal was perfect.

I really hope it's somehow in Sekiro, even if we can't use it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Kings' field design looks straight from Warcraft so im a sucker for that, but Blooodborne has the epic factor with Ludwig.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like the one from Bloodborne because its actually in the spotlight instead of being a cute extra secret. It does lose a few points for not being in the game until the DLC tho.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
BB did it best, even tho the combo of moonlight sword and that shield from the butterfly looked sweeeet. A pity it needs a very high level build to be useful.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Yes,

DSIII has an additional appearance in the form of a sorcery called Old Moonlight which you get from transposing soul of Midir, and it functions similarly to the Soul Greatsword sorcery.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DSIII has an additional appearance in the form of a sorcery called Old Moonlight which you get from transposing soul of Midir, and it functions similarly to the Soul Greatsword sorcery.

The spell is a variant of the soul greatsword and the soul sword, makes no sense technically because the spells were made hundreds of years after DS1. Midir was a baby with no wisdom yet and fell corrupted at a young age thats why the sword quiclky vanishes after being casted making the alusión the sword cames from the dragons but should look different due being touched by the dark and made by different means

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 2 and 3 actually have two Moonlight Greatswords.

Dark Souls 2 has the fake one you get from Bernhard of Jugo and a real one you can get in NG+ onwards after Duke's Dear Freja.

Dark Souls 3 has the weapon version and a Moonlight Greatsword spell, which seems like it uses a part of the Bloodborne moveset.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The first King's Field. Not only was it the first instance of the weapon, you have to unlock the power of a previously obtained sword for it to become the Moonlight Sword. So the mythos of a "sword in a sword of moonlight" started even in the first game FromSoft ever made.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
The Demon's Souls one "old and new" is my favourite. Mainly because it scales with faith instead of magic and the fact that it ignores shields instead of shooting energy waves which made it very unique .
I also like it more when it's included into the story like Ludwig's or the fake/real one in Dark Souls 2.
I think my least fav are the one from Dark Souls 1 and 3
Never played a From game before Demon's souls so i can't judge the rest

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I love using the Moonlight Greatsword but it's always a pain in the ass to build towards it.

It'll be fine if the games had a respecc option. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be using it for Demons Souls

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Woah woah woah.

So sekiro doesnt have a moonlight anything? Wut? Blasphemy!