• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best Sony game this generation?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 685 43.4%
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Votes: 87 5.5%
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn

Votes: 210 13.3%
  • God of War

Votes: 509 32.2%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 88 5.6%

• Total voters

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like there was so much hype surrounding this game, but somehow it just became forgotten after release?
Everything that isn't the last quarter of the game is mediocre at best. If you managed to reach that last quarter of the game without hating the game with passion then you're in for a treat.
From is not a first party studio so Bb is not a first party game. Octopath Traveler is also not a first party game for Switch just because it is exclusive.
Bloodborne the IP is owned by Sony and Sony Japan contributed to the game therefore it's a Sony game. Octopath Traveler IP isn't owned by Nintendo so it's not a Nintendo IP. These things are not remotely comparable.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I mean, I like Uncharted: Lost Legacy more than those others. The best since 2 in my opinion. Just finishing a game these days slots it in my top 10 of the year and I donated all of them so I liked them that much. Also Shadow of the Collosus

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
With that said, my pick is Bloodborne (obviously). I think Bloodborne is one of the greatest games ever made, to be honest- fantastic atmosphere, incredible lore, the best instance of in game storytelling that I can think of. And that world design- Bloodborne has what I believe to be the greatest accomplishment in 3D game design ever, and of course, that is aided and assisted by the game's superlative combat, which is just on a whole different level. Bloodborne is, to my mind, the greatest Sony game of all time, one of the best games of this generation, one of the best games ever. So it gets my vote.
I think too that Bloodborne has both good in game storytelling (but I think that Metroid Prime 1 and 2 do this better) and the world design is good, but is not even close to the world design of the first Dark Souls. In fact I can think easily of better accomplishments in 3D game design, some are historical feats like OoT, or others are redefining world structure and traversal like BotW.

From is one the finest studios out there without a doubt, and one of the few that can compete (or at least be close) to Nintendo in gameplay or world design.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
HZD, UC4, and Bloodborne are very close, but God of War edges them all out. Writing on par with Naughty Dog's best, an open world as inviting and dynamic as HZD, and combat as satisfying as a From game.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The Last Guardian. The platforming would take your breath away, and bonding with Trico was a unique experience you don't encounter every day. Haven't played GoW yet btw.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
God of War, followed by Horizon, then UC lost legacy, UC4

Bloodborne was one of the very few games in which I immediately quit. I ran, got killed got my weapon realize just how stupid the animation looked to me, decided to go back and watch bob's burger on Hulu.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Yes because it wasn't very good.

To be honest, even though I had more fun playing something like God of War, which from a technical standpoint is far better than TLG, I think about TLG more than any other game Sony put out this gen besides maybe Bloodborne. It's very good, it's just not what people expected as a follow-up to Shadow of the Colossus. It's a follow-up to ICO.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne. The others are very good-to-great games, but Bloodborne is an all-time classic and one of the best games I've ever played.

1. Bloodborne
2. Uncharted 4
3. The Last Guardian
4. God of War
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne, but that should not be a surprise considering it has also become my favorite game of all time. It's the DS formula but even more action and player skillbased, and explores my other favorite thing Horror.

I am also looking forward to Spidey. While I doubt it beats Bloodborne it may become my next favorite if they don't screw it up, which so far doesn't look like what is going to happen.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne and it's not even close. Uncharted 4 is a distant second, and then comes the rest of Sony games that I found to be just ok this gen.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne but it kinda wins by default for me. None of the other PS4 exclusives put up much of a fight except maybe God of War, but I'm a sucker for the Souls formula.

If NieR Automata/Nioh/Persona 5/Yakuza 0 and other games which were Sony exclusive (at least initially) counted, then I think it could have been one of those as well.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still in the middle of God of War but so far now I'd have to say Bloodborne. That game grabbed me and refused to let go. I loved every aspect of it.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Phantom Thief and my feelings are the same.

Bloodborne is not only my favorite Sony made game ever....by a long shot....but it's one of the elite games of all time for me right up there with Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild (I'm a Zelda fanboy obviously)

God of War and Uncharted are great games as well but not on the same level.

The one game/franchise not listed that is one of Sony's underrated gems are the MLB games. They are the best sports games also

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
1) Ratchet & Clank
2) Uncharted 4
3) God of War

Wasn't a fan of HZD despite ploughing a good 10 hours in to it trying to convince myself, and I'm not keen on the souls games.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's easily God of War. It's the best game this entire generation. One of the best games ever made.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Everything that isn't the last quarter of the game is mediocre at best. If you managed to reach that last quarter of the game without hating the game with passion then you're in for a treat.
I actually haven't played the game at all or any Team Ico type games; I did try Ico way back during my free trial on PsNow but couldn't get into it.
From is not a first party studio so Bb is not a first party game. Octopath Traveler is also not a first party game for Switch just because it is exclusive.
But Sony owns Bloodborne. I don't know about Octopath Traveler. Even though Sony doesn't own FromSoftware, I don't see how Bloodborne counts as a 3rd party exclusive
There are people who love the game for Trico, but that is despite its failings as a game. I and a lot of other people (which is why so many people aren't talking about it anymore) just weren't impressed at all.
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are considered some of the greatest games of all time iirc, so it's an anomaly to me to see that TLG didn't continue that trend

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fate/Grand Order :P

Seriously though, probably Ratchet and Clank. Most of Sony's exclusives this gen just haven't clicked for me.

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
To be honest, even though I had more fun playing something like God of War, which from a technical standpoint is far better than TLG, I think about TLG more than any other game Sony put out this gen besides maybe Bloodborne. It's very good, it's just not what people expected as a follow-up to Shadow of the Colossus. It's a follow-up to ICO.

Would you be willing to explain why you like TLG so much? I am usually able to see why people like games that I don't and vice versa, but I just don't get this one. For me, there was almost nothing to like except Trico. I couldn't even bring myself to finish watching a longplay after having given up on playing the game (mainly because of the controls, the performance on base PS4 and the camera that gave me a headache after playing for 45 minutes) because it was so boring.

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
But Sony owns Bloodborne. I don't know about Octopath Traveler. Even though Sony doesn't own FromSoftware, I don't see how Bloodborne counts as a 3rd party exclusive
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are considered some of the greatest games of all time iirc, so it's an anomaly to me to see that TLG didn't continue that trend

That is true so I guess you're right

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

I had that same attitude, but after seeing how it got praised in a certain other forum I finally took the plunge. Mind you I can't play any resident evils, they scare the shit out of me. I even jump sometimes in Minecraft when a creeper explodes on me in a cave :)

After playing it for a bit, the horror elements were not so horrible and I was able to focus on the game play and it's absolutely fantastic. Even if it's not my favorite Sony game this generation it's up there among the best :)

Do it...

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and Uncharted Lost Legacy are currently my two favorites. More people need to play Lost Legacy. And a special shout out to Until Dawn..it's not the best (and has since been surpassed by Detroit) of the bunch but it's an awesome game that often gets overlooked and is always on sale for ridiculously low prices.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It would've been Horizon for me before GoW came out, but now GoW is in the lead. Spider-Man might give it a run for its money though.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt like there was so much hype surrounding this game, but somehow it just became forgotten after release?
Yeah, it was a seriously flawed game, that showed the age of its production. It felt like a late-era PS2 game in terms of control and design, which didn't go over well.

This doesn't make it a bad game; there was a lot it did very well and it has its fans. But it had a lot to live up to and didn't.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
God of War is one of my favorite series but Bloodborne is a more complete game. GoW's severely lacking in boss fights is hard to look past.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Bloodborne without a doubt. The gap between it and others is huge imo. I'm going to play GoW soon but that's the only one that might come close for me, at least from what I've seen thus far.

E: right, also loved Last Guardian. That's probably Nr. 2 at the moment. But if I'm honest, I see GoW overtaking it rather easily.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War, so far. I didn't expect to like that as much as I did, but it accomplished so much in terms of character and world building. I'm watching my girlfriend play through it now and still in awe of all the little details.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne. No questions.

Put Bloodborne a God of War skin and it would slaughter God of War.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne > The Last Guardian > Gravity Rush 2 for me but I haven't played God of War yet. Horizon and Uncharted weren't that special even if well made.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
God of War, then Bloodborne and then Infamous Second Sun.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Bloodborne and Uncharted Lost Legacy are currently my two favorites. More people need to play Lost Legacy. And a special shout out to Until Dawn..it's not the best (and has since been surpassed by Detroit) of the bunch but it's an awesome game that often gets overlooked and is always on sale for ridiculously low prices.

t's a shame that Supermassive has decided to make VR games instead of a sequel to Until Dawn

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was a seriously flawed game, that showed the age of its production. It felt like a late-era PS2 game in terms of control and design, which didn't go over well.

This doesn't make it a bad game; there was a lot it did very well and it has its fans. But it had a lot to live up to and didn't.
that's a shame. maybe it would've been better received if it released on Ps3 like it was originally intended for

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
HZD

Amazing story and main character, really caught me unprepared. The controls for combat and traversal were tight and on point, and it made the open world a great place to be in. The graphics (oh lawd) are just beautiful and made my share button work overtime (even got a capture for one of the character designers porfolio. Man there are some great captures there).

All in all a unique open world action game. Well, at least among what we have today.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
God of War, with a big margin, it's on my top 5 for the best games of all times, it's only mid 2018 but even with big hitters coming later I'm confident it'll be this year's GOTY.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Last Guardian for me. I can't quite put into words why I love the game so much. Everything it does just grabbed me. Very similar to my love of Shadow of the Colossus.

Second/third would be Bloodborne/God of War.

Honestly, I would have bought a PS4 (if I didn't already own one) just for those three games. Everything else is a bonus.