• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best Sony game this generation?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 685 43.4%
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Votes: 87 5.5%
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn

Votes: 210 13.3%
  • God of War

Votes: 509 32.2%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 88 5.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's pushed out some excellent, amazing first party games this generation, with their output really coming into its own over the last five years. Which one of their games did you like the best, however, and why? For the purposes of this thread, any game Sony published and at least assisted with development on is a first party game (ergo, if a Sony studio has any credit in a game's development, and the game was published by Sony, we're counting it as a first party game. I don't want to get into the whole second party game splitting hairs stuff).

With that said, my pick is Bloodborne (obviously). I think Bloodborne is one of the greatest games ever made, to be honest- fantastic atmosphere, incredible lore, the best instance of in game storytelling that I can think of. And that world design- Bloodborne has what I believe to be the greatest accomplishment in 3D game design ever, and of course, that is aided and assisted by the game's superlative combat, which is just on a whole different level. Bloodborne is, to my mind, the greatest Sony game of all time, one of the best games of this generation, one of the best games ever. So it gets my vote.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
GoW is the best Sony game ever made and not just this gen, they took an unlikable character and made people like and care about him,the way they handled Kratos is done in a really good way, the game also happens to have great combat, characters and visuals.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Knack 1 or 2 .

Bloodborne, it's pretty much a Dark Souls done right, since I don't like other Souls game movement, and Bloodborne pretty much does this right, with a cool setting. I didn't like Horizon, or GoW that much, and I don't like Uncharted series, so I never played the fourth one. GT Sport is my second one.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Bloodborne as well, for me. There hasn't been a game that I've obssessed as much as Bloodborne. I daydreamed about the game back when I was playing at launch. The combat was one of the most addictive things I've ever played, and the risk/gain gamble that was the regen system was a stroke of genius.

I've yet to play GoW and Detroit tho.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Death Stranding.

Reason: Kojima

lol, hmm, for real, it's hard to pick.
I love Sony games in general, that's why they got me in their pocket.

And yea, "so far" should be added in the title.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
this thread should've waited a couple of years because I think tlou2 will be the answer, but the only game I've played on that list to completion is Uncharted 4.

That was my most anticipated game ever since Ps4 was announced, and it is my most played game this generation to date.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Bloodborne. It took the tried and true Souls formula and kicked it up to 11. Not to mention it's some of the best Cosmic Horror I've ever seen.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Uncharted: Lost Legacy was a tighter and more interesting experience than 4, so I'Il go with it. Bloodborne as a close second.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Bloodborne:

-I love Souls games.
-I love Lovecraft and how From took inspiration from him to create the world and enemies.
-I love how they changed slightly the gameplay to be more action orientend and easy to understand for new players.
-It's perfect? No, the technical aspect of the game is fairly unpolished, but I prefer games that focuses on offering good gameplay and challenge over cinematic experiences.

2nd one would be God of War, but it's really far from BB on my list.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
From those 4 it's hard choice one. But I think God of War will be my pick.

Edit: Reasons ? Well i think the game has all the things i like from a game. Good story, excellent gameplay and awesome graphics. Simple. You could say the same thing about Uncharted 4. As i said its hard to pick one, but right now its GOW.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
For me it's been The Last Guardian so far.
The others are good in all ways but TLG is magical :)

Edit: The reasons are a fantastic story, insanely good and consistent art direction, a magnificent beast that "feels alive" in the way to communicate to it and how it acts.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My top 3.
1) Bloodborne - It's my game of the generation.
2) God of War
3) Horizon Zero Dawn (Yakuza 0 if it counts, but it doesn't really meet the requirements + is coming to PC soon).

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UGH It was Horizon by a mile then I played God of War and I cant decide. I refuse to vote between those 2 games

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I loved God of War and Horizon but Bloodborne edges them both in my opinion.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
There is no Last Guardian in your list, which is confusing because it is the answer you seek.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not out yet plz look forward to the beta this year
Most innovative game this generation book it
Dreams
3q5pkCh.gif

prUOlOH.gif

twUmk7e.gif

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Bloodborne is also my pick, it's my gotg and my 2nd favorite of all time after Okami.

I really loved the combat, special mention to the boss fights. Even though the base game was already amazing, the DLC brought it to a whole new level with fights against Ludwing/OoK and all those new weapons. It also has probably my favorite track of this gen - The First Hunter.

Edit: forgot to mention the chalice dungeons, I know a lot of people didn't like them but I spent hundreds of hours on them.

If I had to pick one from Sony WWS it would be either Horizon or GOW. Have to replay Horizon once more to see if I can decide lol

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne and it's not even close. The majority of their first party efforts have been a total wash for me this gen.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
GoW 2018 is my pick. Just going to quote my post from the other thread lol

Only going to rate the PS4 games. No remasters or ports. 2.5 is the average, so any score above that is good. I'm not using the School Grading scale/video game scale curve where an 8 is average.

*Knack: 1.5/5.
This game is pretty bad. It was somewhat fun in the beginning with co-op, but the game doesn't want to end and just drags on. Even co-op couldn't make it fun.
*Uncharted 4: 2/5. Where are the set pieces at? This isn't an Uncharted game, a complete disappointment and horrible follow up to Uncharted 3. Also who is this random brother we never heard of before? Why is Uncharted 4 retconning the previous games?! It at least looks nice.
*Ratchet and Clank: 2.5/5. Average. Wasn't bad, and it wasn't good.
*The Order 1886: 2.5/5. Really pretty and the gunplay was good. But the game is short and ends in a cliff hanger.
*Infamous Second Son: 3.5/5. A step down from inFamous 2, and it was really short. The game needed to be longer and they needed to flesh the powers out more.
*Infamous First Light: 4/5. Short, but the Neon powers were fleshed out and the collectible missions were pretty fun too.
*Gravity Rush 2: 4/5. Great sequel to the original. Just didn't like that they didn't flesh out the new settings to much, kinda wished it was longer haha.
*Until Dawn: 4.5/5. A complete surprise out of no where. Better than the recent TellTale games.
*God of War: 4.5/5. Only disappointing thing are the boss fights which are a step down from the previous games.

I'll give it to GoW over Until Dawn though, just had a little more fun playing through the former haha
Oh and I haven't played Horizon or Bloodborne which is why they're not on the list.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy, Bloodborne is the greatest game ever made. The combat when it comes to enemies aggressiveness combining it with how weapons transform and faster pace makes a thrilling moments where you're on your toes afraid of that hidden enemy in every corner, add that to the fucking atmosphere of the world made by the structures of building or the weird environment and the enemies freaky design with the fucked up lore and you have one masterpiece that is very hard to top.
-It's perfect? No, the technical aspect of the game is fairly unpolished, but I prefer games that focuses on offering good gameplay and challenge over cinematic experiences.
This makes no sense. cinematic experiences doesn't mean polished nor does it mean a bad gameplay or no challenge.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well, for me Bloodborne because it is my Game of the Forever.
But I would say they had a pretty strong output in most gernes.
Horizon is my favorite Open World RPG this gen and God of War definetly the strongest Story focused Action game this gen.
Uncharted 4 was a bit meh for me, but Lost Legacy was really good.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
God of War followed by Horizon. Despite the conditions in the OP, I don't view--and/or can't view--BB as a first party title.

For me, GoW has everything--narrative, level design, combat, and risk taking.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_500.gif

The Last Guardian, a really magical experience and one of the few games that after I beat, I would just sometimes think about it and want to re-experience it again. Truly a masterpiece in my eyes and my favourite game this generation so far.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Bloodborne easily.

Great gameplay, atmosphere, lore, writing, music, visuals, etc.
DLC is also probably the best DLC in any game ever.

The other games can't hold a candle to it.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went for God Of War.

I really enjoyed Bloodborne but never completed it and i found it quite a struggle.

God Of War was a great reboot for the series. Great graphics, combat, characters and story.

Horizon was really enjoyable also and a well crafted world with cool enemies and a good backstory if you collected the logs. But if you compare it to GoW there's so much more with Kratos and Atreus, there's a real depth to there character plus the NPC's are better too in terms of dialogue.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_500.gif

The Last Guardian, a really magical experience and one of the few games that after I beat, I would just sometimes think about it and want to re-experience it again. Truly a masterpiece in my eyes and my favourite game this generation so far.
I felt like there was so much hype surrounding this game, but somehow it just became forgotten after release?

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
God of War for first party and Bloodborne for all exclusives IMO. Bb is also my favorite game of this gen overall.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
God of War > Horizon: Zero Dawn > Uncharted 4

God of War does almost every single thing it attempts perfectly. I mean, not saying the game is without any flaws whatsoever, but compared to just how good the overall experience is, they're minuscule. Been a God of War fan since the early days, and I just love how they reimagined the series completely, while still somehow keeping the DNA intact. Also, a game hasn't made me this excited for its sequels in ages.

Horizon is also one of my favourite games of all time (along with God of War). Incredible setting, beautiful visuals (one of the few games I've played that are almost equally impressive from an art and technical point of view), awesome combat, and quite possibly one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game.

Uncharted 4 is Uncharted, but better than ever. So yeah.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Man I envy the people that can play Bloodborne...I really can't go on with all that horrific frame pacing. I have some great difficulty to play it for the weird responsiveness of such issue. I don't know how the others can overtake it.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's Bloodborne, let's be honest

the vibes and level design are top tier

can't wait for Spider Man though, it'll be the first game since to challenge the throne