• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
While I wont try to argue that its "the best" concept album, I've personally been a huge fan of Giant Squid's work, particularly on The Ichthyologist.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The Wall was a very formative album for me so I may be biased, but I recently revisited it on a brand-new vinyl copy of the remaster and I have to say it's still fantastic.

The Wall, and its excellent film adaptation, is such an incisive take on the intersection between toxic masculinity, misogyny, systemic violence, mass media and white supremacy. It was very relevant when it was created against the backdrop of rising far-right political and Neo-Nazi movements, but in the year 2021 it feels downright prophetic. Who knew you could write so many hit songs about an insecure, depressed, introverted white guy stewing in the juices of patriarchy, staring at a screen watching wartime propaganda until he becomes radicalized?
It's funny because some of that stuff was not fully realized within Waters himself (he had some obnoxious things to say about "those gosh darn feminists" around that time), but he was very conscious of his inner ugliness, and he really just let it all out and said "This is me! This is us! Look at how shit we are!" I find it endlessly fascinating, and the way The Wall actively antagonizes the listener is something I'm always down for.

And yeah, a lot of his work has only grown more and more relevant as time goes on. The Bravery of Being Out of Range is almost 30 years old and it could have been written last week and that's a travesty.

He likes to repurpose material for his live shows to make it better match current events, and every new tour needs to strain less and less to make that happen.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking out footage from his 2010 tour. There's plenty of it on youtube, and it's bracing.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
All the obvious ones have all been mentioned, so how about The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free. The whole album is the story of a dude losing a grand in cash and trying to figure out wtf happened to it and his life kinda is falling apart. Pretty quality stuff

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's funny because some of that stuff was not fully realized within Waters himself (he had some obnoxious things to say about "those gosh darn feminists" around that time), but he was very conscious of his inner ugliness, and he really just let it all out and said "This is me! This is us! Look at how shit we are!" I find it endlessly fascinating, and the way The Wall actively antagonizes the listener is something I'm always down for.

And yeah, a lot of his work has only grown more and more relevant as time goes on. The Bravery of Being Out of Range is almost 30 years old and it could have been written last week and that's a travesty.

He likes to repurpose material for his live shows to make it better match current events, and every new tour needs to strain less and less to make that happen.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking out footage from his 2010 tour. There's plenty of it on youtube, and it's bracing.

Amused to death is one of my all time favorite albums and I still listen to it frequently.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not here to say it's the best but I have to give a shout out to American Idiot.

Pretty formative album for 6th grade me aka when you listened to your favorite album ever.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
First thing's first, fuck the Wall.

Second thing's second, it might be Same Place the Fly Got Smashed by Guided by Voices. Somehow, actually cohesive. Dark, dreary, unknown alcoholics make a record about the same--including what might happen in the future, like getting the electric chair... 'we'll be swollen and infected but so what [...] bottomless hole, rock and roll, take me on a blatant doom trip...'

I'll admit that while Fuck the Wall, Dark Side's pretty good, like as a full listen. I forget what it was supposed to be about though, so maybe it's not the best.

Man, concept albums just don't work... either the concept suffers or the songs suffer, the latter being much worse...

Something by Genesis? I'll just go with Ziggy.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
While Jon Schaffer himself is obviously a piece of human shit and I can't support anything he says or does as a person at this point, Iced Earth's concept album "The Crucible of Man" is one of my absolute favorites out there. Great, edge lord-filled storytelling with some truly fantastic lyrics, guitar riffs, and atmosphere throughout. And it kicks of with one of my absolute favorite Latin Chanting tracks ever, straight into a fantastic, chugging second song.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Oh shit, man. If anything by Kate Bush counts then that. The Dreaming, Hounds of Love...

Joanna Newsom's Ys really SEEMS like it should be a concept album. Can you make a 5-song record with 10-20 minute orchestrated songs without it being so? No idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
81Ddc6YPW5L._SS500_.jpg

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Operation Mindcrime for me. My dad worked at the label so I was forced to listen to it all the time as a kid when it came out and later in life my dad gave me a copy when he knew I'd appreciate it, and, boy, was he ever spot on. It's such a great album. (It's a shame nothing they did after that really measured up.)

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Killroy Was Here

But seriously its David Comes to Life by Fucked Up.

Also the Amory Wars is cool now, some of it was all over the place but the last Coheed album is fantastic.

Are The Dear Hunter albums concept albums? I never bothered to find out but I love their work.

Queen II is also the shit. One of my favorite albums.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ctrl F Avantasia

What the fuck guys. Y'all need to go check out Moonglow and Ghostlights like right the fuck now.

Ah a fellow Avantasia fan!

I love all their albums. The Mystery of Time and The Scarecrow are also fantastic.

I still play the Moonglow album in it's entirety. I rarely do that.

Tobias doesn't age and neither does the music.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Oh also The Ugly Organ by Cursive. Shiiit that was the soundtrack to my early 20s :(

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
For me, I need to split them. For Rock Operas it has to be Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

Non-Rock Opera concept album. Even with all of the weirdness and BS and nonsense behind the scenes, and the fact that it's incomplete, for me it will always be Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos
I was going to say the human equation for ayreon. I love the idea of all the different voices being different emotions/sides of a personality.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
The first album that came to mind was "The Who Sell Out", which I'm glad to see was mentioned. There are great acid-rock tracks plus promotional radio spots spliced between tracks but the pirate radio gimmick peters out in the 2nd half plus some track are standard slice-of-life rockers common for the late 60s.

Another of my favorite concept albums is "Something/Anything?" by Todd Rundgren. It's a double-LP with each side having a unique style (side A with torch songs, B with experimental tracks, C with traditional rockers, and D with bleary-eyed sing-a-longs recorded with a live band. His follow-up "A Wizard, A True Star" is a more cohesive double-LP filled with experimental and expert studio produced rock and pop (including a fun McCartney-inspired multi-track pop symphony in side A).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Fear Factory - oBSΩLE+e (Obsolete)
220px-Obsoletespecial.jpg

An industrial death metal opera. The liner notes were the setups for each song and how it worked into the plot.

Also known for the bonus track which is Fear Factory covering Cars.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Not going to say its the best ever but David Comes to Life by Fucked Up is a good concept album that's basically The Who by way of punk.

Oct 29, 2017
Coheed an Cambria's main discography is fucking great. My favorite must be In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3, but I also love No World for Tomorrow.

Thrice's Alchemy Index albums are great. I'm a particular fan of Fire/Water, but they're all good.

Tesseract has some good shit, too. Skyharbor too, in a similar vein.

Not "the best" probably but I fucking love the entire 'main' The Dear Hunter albums, the Acts.

YES! The Dear Hunter is fantastic. All of the Acts albums are excellent listens and I can't recommend them enough. Act II and Act V are my favorites, I can listen to them for days.

Any Jukebox the Ghost fans here? Their first two albums were rock operas. Very poppy and upbeat rock operas, which was pretty novel when I first listened to them.

Yep! They are excellent.

I still love spinning The Black Parade.

It's very good. Back to back bangers!

Last edited:

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Ah a fellow Avantasia fan!

I love all their albums. The Mystery of Time and The Scarecrow are also fantastic.

I still play the Moonglow album in it's entirety. I rarely do that.

Tobias doesn't age and neither does the music.

Thank god there are still some people who know Avantasia. I still remember how The Metal Opera blew my 17 year old brain when it came out.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
All the obvious ones have all been mentioned, so how about The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free. The whole album is the story of a dude losing a grand in cash and trying to figure out wtf happened to it and his life kinda is falling apart. Pretty quality stuff
Didn't expect to see this one get mentioned in this thread, so I'm happily surprised.

I loved that album. My teenage self spent so many hours listening to it in the early morning while delivering newspapers.

Concept albums (that I know of at least) are usually quite the epics. This one is so wonderfully, audaciously ordinary in comparison.

3748194f.jpg

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm honestly serious, why? It seems so much more silly and not as cohesive plus the plot is nonsense
Not trying to pick a fight, just would love to explore.

I went through a rock opera phase when I was a teenager, I was fascinated by the concept. I always felt like Tommy was just an easier to "get" album than Quadrophenia. It felt more accessible, even if in retrospect it was pretty sloppy as a story. I think the songs were just stronger, I could sing you back so many of the songs from Tommy but the only one I remember from Quadrophenia is Love Reign O'er Me (a banger to be sure, but the rest of the album felt a little too prog-rock for what I wanted from The Who).

Love Reign O'er Me is a banger though, I should give this another listen/watch the movie sometime.

It's Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime

Holy shit, I forgot about this one. I don't remember the plot but the album was damn good musically. Weirdly enough I found the title track thanks to a very small Nintendo podcast that was active when the Wii was coming out (one of the hosts made a parody of it, I forget the context).

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The Black Parade by MCR was better than I expected. Not usually a huge fan of the band, but their decision to make a classic rock inspired rock opera after what their first two albums sounded like was the right kind of weird creative decision to get me hooked I guess. I don't know if there's a bad track on the album. Don't remember much of the story though, but it definitely had one.

I don't know for sure, but I have to say, as nerdy as a rock opera based on Mega Man is at face value, the two Protomen albums go fuckin' hard and they are a super talented group.

Was hoping someone else would bring up The Protomen. What a concept for a band, it's amazing it works as well as it does lmao

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Are The Dear Hunter albums concept albums? I never bothered to find out but I love their work.

Queen II is also the shit. One of my favorite albums.

1) Yup, a single storyline from Act I to Act V, from the life of protagonist's mother to the protagonist's death after taking out his nemesis with plenty of heartbreak throughout.

2) Indeed. It's fucking brilliant.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wall by Pink Floyd. No contest.

I feel that is a very overlooked by alot of people. Styx has had loose concept albums before with The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theater. But none had an Overarching plot like Kirby Was Here.

In the end what held it back was the lack of more solid rock tracks plus the theatrical live show and Tommy Shaw's addiction issues at the time.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
ziggy stardust

downward spiral as a somewhat distant second

i think the wall is good too, though i listened to it too much in high school and got burned out

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Is The Black Parade a rock opera / concept? Because I don't exactly love My Chemical Romance but that album is fantastic

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
The-Lamb-Lies-Down-on-Broadway-Genesis-Ristampa-2013-Vinile-lp2.jpg

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis. An acid western inspired weird ass album about a puetro rican boy in NYC looking for his brother. Peter Gabriel's peak of creativity in the band. The songs are all timeless and still hold up.

Favorite songs: Back in NYC, Colony of Slippermen

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
I love this album but I think The Afterman edges it out. Probably not fair given that it's technically two albums, but the concept spans across them.

Nice another Lif fan! I used to work with his buddy Akrobatik haha

My vote would go for:

It's a Moby Dick concept album

Good pick. I'd add another Mastodon classic - Crack The Skye as well: Time traveling paraplegic kid goes back in time to save Rasputin from assassination using his astral body.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
The-Lamb-Lies-Down-on-Broadway-Genesis-Ristampa-2013-Vinile-lp2.jpg

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis. An acid western inspired weird ass album about a puetro rican boy in NYC looking for his brother. Peter Gabriel's peak of creativity in the band. The songs are all timeless and still hold up.

Favorite songs: Back in NYC, Colony of Slippermen
Quoting for more visibility. "Back in NYC" is also my fav. This album is fantastic and while I don't want to say that listening to an album is of moral imperative... you should listen to this album.