• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not only is The Mars Volta - Cassndra Gemini my favorite prog song ever, I think it may simply by my favorite song period. It's creatively overflowing. It's emotionally devastating. It's technically just stupidly good. At 32 minutes it's a twisted, mammoth adventure that I never get tired of even after consecutive listens.

How about you?

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The beginning of Mandy reminded me how awesome King Crimson was. Not sure if they (or Starless) are really considered prog anymore, but every time I watch that into I get chills.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not a huge prog fan, but I like some. I put together my little list before clicking into the thread:

Pull Me Under, Welcome Home, Tom Sawyer and Televators. In no particular order.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is The Mars Volta - Cassndra Gemini my favorite prog song ever, I think it may simply by my favorite song period. It's creatively overflowing. It's emotionally devastating. It's technically just stupidly good. At 32 minutes it's a twisted, mammoth adventure that I never get tired of even after consecutive listens.

How about you?

Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus was my favorite song from this album:

I don't know if it's the best prog song ever, but it's one of my faves from one of my favorite bands in TMV.

[EDIT: applaud the user above me, they know what's up.]

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha

How about you?

Holy moly, I was gonna post that....

I did listen to Frances the Mute while peaking on acid once. It was the wildest trip I've ever had.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Might be a stretch considering it's not one of their most overtly progressive tracks but:

My favorite song of theirs.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Blackwater Park is a perfect song.

If metal vocals don't turn you off, it's an epic journey just like the other best prog pieces already posted here.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Never liked Mars Volta. So here's something new that is basically Dreamtheater without it's worst part (the singing), and a dash of King Crimson :

Horp

Nov 16, 2017

Blackwater Park is a perfect song.

If metal vocals don't turn you off, it's an epic journey just like the other best prog pieces already posted here.

Good pick.

I used to be a big Yes fan, then transitioned to Genesis (Gabriel-era), but these days it's just a bit too silly and stilted for me. Try-hard, a bit.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This isn't a serious entry, but it dawns on me that a lot of you may not have heard this and you absolutely should.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' by Pink Floyd, I guess it is 2 songs, but I would count it as a whole. Part 6-9 when the solo kicks in is just beautiful.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it has to be Casandra Gemini. For better or worse, it's the most "prog" song I can think of. Fuck, can it even fit on an LP without cutting something out or splitting it between two sides?

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So many great picks in the thread! I love progressive rock and my choice would be Dogs, not only for the music but also for the lyrics.

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people don't like Topographic Oceans, but it's my favorite among Yes albums. And Ritual is just an incredible experience.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of these. Can't decide though.