• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best Pokemon gimmick?

• Mega Evolution

Votes: 302 77.6%
  • Z-Move

Votes: 33 8.5%
  • Dynamax/Gigantamax

Votes: 54 13.9%

• Total voters

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
And a new gimmick has just been confirmed.

FZPV0LSUcAAEM5j
Damn this might be the worst one out of the bunch

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Mega most but the designs are some of the worst.
Like they had to put something together half an hour before the deadline.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Imagine what you can do combining a type change with the abilities and moveset. This brings so, so many variables that it's pretty fucked up.

Also: Megas are my favorite. I wish they kept doing them, it was a great idea

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
It's mega evolution and it's not even close. Real talk, even Z moves are okay but will be fine if they never come back.

Dynamax was a mistake.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The new gimmick sounds fun and is gonna shake up things mechanically and people will hate it anyways, but I made my peace with it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Knew this would get bumped.

From a design perspective, I like it a bit better than Big Pokemon, although a lot of the hats feel more there for Functionality than design (It's got flowers on it's head that means it's Grass Type Now).

I can't fully judge it until I know how all it mechanics work (We know it's once a match but the change is permanent. And if you use move that matches your original typing and the Tera Type those moves get a power boost, but we don't know by how much.) I just hope it's not as obtrusive as Dynamax was (Which depends if Tera transforms get like Health Boosts, How much power boosts, etc. etc.)

I still stand by Regional Variants being the best of the best gimmicks though.

RIP Dynamax, 2019-2020.

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
Dynamax actually makes competitive Pokemon (2v2) more interesting as it can be used by any Pokemon and doesn't require an item. This means on-the-fly adaptation becomes key, battles are less predictable, players have more ways of staging a comeback, and it's just TENSE.

I say let's use some of the existing Mega designs as Gigantamax forms and use some others for proper evolutions provided they are nerfed (Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Audino, Houndoom, Mawile, Glalie). Basically you'd get the Mega designs (which is the main thing about Megas that people want back) and at least the attacking Z-moves are more or less included as well. For those who were really happy with a Dark-type Gyarados and Dragon-type Ampharos, there will always be regional variants. Everyone gets their wish.

I hate Gigantamax as a word though. How about... Megamax. 🤔

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Megas because the designs actually look cool and the gimmicks in general have only been getting progressively worse.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
It's, like, just Z-Moves 2.0. It's fine. It's unobtrusive enough that it won't matter when it's discontinued in the next game, unless there are great forms tied to it we'll never get back (like Mega Ampharos, Mega Slowbro, or Gigantamax Centiskorch).

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Megas. Dynamax was so corny.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And a new gimmick has just been confirmed.

FZPV0LSUcAAEM5j
From a game play perspective I think this one has a bunch of potential. It's like they took Dynamaxing and combined it with Hidden Power, busting the dam open on type changing feels like it's going to shift the layers around competitive battling pretty substantially. From a presentation perspective it's also the first one that feels like it treats the visual aspect as an additive component as opposed to relying on substantial form changes that get inevitably deprecated despite the design work put into them. Overall this could be their most effectively designed gimmick yet.

Marchbaby

Apr 13, 2022
Colorado, USA
Megas without a doubt, I honestly wish more of the underappreciated Pokemon would have gotten megas instead of Pokemon like Garchomp that did not need them but of the three gimmicks it was by far the most fun.