• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild has perhaps the best world given the ways the player can interact with it, but as a whole it falls short. For me Red Dead 2 is the better open world game as a whole, though there's also a good argument to be made for Witcher 3.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Witcher 3 is the best, absolutely. It's both immersive and fun, deep and not too complex.

MGSV being a close second for the amazingly dynamic gameplay and play style, shame the open world felt very bland.

Finally Red Dead Redemption 2 for the incredible visuals and details for the world, best looking open world ever. Wish Witcher 3 looked like this.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I haven't played the Witcher 3, but this thread makes me want to so bad.

For me it's botw. I actually stopped playing it for months and got back to it... and damn I love it. Just exploring the world is a joy. Physics based playground.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I've gone with Horizon ZD.

RDR2 is the better open world, but Horizon is the better open world game, IMO.

Witcher 3 would come close, but similar to RDR2, it's let down overall by mediocre combat.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild is in a league of its own and I don't think it will be surpassed until the next big Zelda game.

Nintendo NAILED the open world. Hopefully they improve on the dungeons.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
MGSV, this style of open world can suck with a bad developer as its just a huge sandbox. But Kojima perfected it, he gave us endless Metal Gear with so many different ways to play its nuts. The open world in games like the Witcher are usually points to find a collectible or to see a cutscene. Which does nothing to gameplay.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Have you played red dead?

I have and I love it, but it's not very good of a game, the rule is a mess and story mission is literally on-rail, also aiming is terrible without auto aim, which I really hate.

I love the open world, the characters and the story, it's done masterfully, but everything else just feels mediocre to me.

Witcher 3 stills wins and to think I was fully convinced that RDR2 is gonna be my favorite game of the generation before launch, guess this is why you don't get hyped....

Last edited:

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
RDR2 and Witcher 3 for me.

Horizon was beautiful as well. I enjoyed BOTW but graphically is in a completely different Art style.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I've never felt nearly as engaged in an open world as I was with Witcher 3. I've played through it 3 times and still get the urge to go back and talk to all the old friends enemies and acquaintances, see the beautiful/dark/haunting landmarks, explore the nooks and crannies of the big cities and little islands, follow the rivers through the forrests, dive in and explore the lakes and ponds, challenge some npcs in Gwent. The world is the best I've explored but on top of that the real thing that makes it is the people (and other creatures) living in it are so much more intriguing than everything else imo.

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece, not according to those stuck up reviewers from IGN, GameInformer or Polygon, but according to millions of us, I hate to use the word but fuck it, gamers.

Those fucking websites keep trying to tell everyone GTAV and RDR2 are the best games ever made but in the end few people agreed with those opinions. They are the biggest, but far from the best.

Those people had like what? a few weeks to review those games?

Well I fucking played Witcher 3 for 2 months straight and it was the best experience I've ever had this gen, I actually have time to sink in and digest everything, and actually have time to find out many many secrets.

The reviewers? They blast through the main story with a few side quests and then just pick a decent score anyway.

I'm pretty happy with how much BotW is winning by. I'm sure that honeymoon period will end any day now...

Thread really makes me want to play BOTW, it's funny because the honeymoon period for RDR2 already ended for me. Not even a month after launch.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For me breath of the wild and red dead 2 are the top. Maybe red dead edges it out but i'm playing it atm so idk.

Phantom pain was at the top but has been surpassed by a few imo.

I'd also add horizon zero dawn too

Jan 9, 2018
Mi pic would be Zelda Breath of the wild, Is the one I had most fun exploring and a really beautiful and interesting world,

next would be XCX and the Witcher 3, not sure which one would be second, Xenoblade is not as rich and lively as the witcher but is more imaginative, interesting and moving around doesn't suck.

RDR2 is being OK, but is like realistic setting, and not a very interesting for me, it can be very well done but I can walk around my place and have similar visual experiences exploring the wild without accidentally shot someone in the face while trying to say hi

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have and I love it, but it's not very good of a game, the rule is a mess and story mission is literally on-rail, also aiming is terrible without auto aim, which I really hate.

I love the open world, the characters and the story, it's done masterfully, but everything else just feels mediocre to me.

Witcher 3 stills wins and to think I was fully convinced that RDR2 is gonna be my favorite game of the generation before launch, guess this is why you don't get hyped....
Everyone keeps answering the question I asked someone else that clearly hasn't played it, but is accusing people that didn't vote BOTW didn't play it. I respect your opinion though.

I do agree with you on most points tho. It's just the positives make up for a lot of its negatives

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild are the only ones even in the conversation. They're interchangeable for me as to which is better, and they're both going for such different things.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I do agree with you on most points tho. It's just the positives make up for a lot of its negatives

Me too, which is why I am still playing RDR2. The open world and character is too good for me to give it up, but I am just gonna be honest here I'm not enjoying the game nearly as much as day one, way too many flaws here.

Also sorry about that, I guess the your post make you sounded like you were saying RDR2 is the best game or some shit, at least the tone feels like it, which makes me want to reply uncontrollably.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
BOTW. It changed the way I viewed open world games. One of the first games in the sub-genre that didn't just follow a "mark icon, follow path" style of gameplay.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved BOTW but it was really missing a story. I know Zelda is not really known for story but it should of had a little bit more IMO. At least like other Zelda titles. Lack of enemy variety seemed like the games biggest mistake. Also boss fights were a letdown. Besides that, it's in my top 5 of the gen easily

Nov 30, 2017
Voted for Middle Earth because i felt sorry it had no votes. Its not like it pushed it over the top. Hell i didnt even finish it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 or botw. I can't really pick one. I am really loving rdr2 but it has too many problems compared to those two.

Witcher 3 is extremely well executed but it does kind of lack the magic oh that is fucking cool that botw and even rdr2 have.

So I dunno lol. The dragic sidequests in rdr2 blew my mind last night though.

I dunno, rdr2 does have so many holy shit moments that make up for it's problems.

So it kind of goes:

Gameplay: Zelda
Overall package: w3
Holy shit stuff: rdr2

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Probably my order of what I've played enough to put on the list:

The Best:
Spider-Man
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Great:
Metal Gear Solid V
Infamous Second Son
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Forza Horizon 3
Watch Dogs 2

Good:
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
Batman: Arkham Knight
Tom Clancy's The Division
Sunset Overdrive
Assassin's Creed Origins

Okay:
Mad Max
Dead Rising 3
Forza Horizon 4
Dead Rising 4

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
My personal ranking would be

1. Witcher 3 - Great open world, great depth, great story and characters, great quest design. Decent gameplay.

2. MGSV - Good open world (more like sandbox), great depth, unfinished story and good characters, absolutely Amazing gameplay.

3. Fallout 4 - Great open world, great depth, mediocre story and characters, okay quest design, okay gameplay.

4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Fantastic open world, decent depth, great story and characters, terrible mission design and flawed gameplay, also many weird annoyances such as input delay and weapon loadout keep getting fucked. Overall a 10/10 and a 2/10 at the same time. Biggest disappointment of 2018 for me, it's a great game at times but also barely a game at times.

Haven't played Horizon or BOTW.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Breath of the Wild. Great exploration, fun with physics, climbing up on towers and mountains and then leaping off to glide slowly across huge distances. Brilliant game.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Open world games are a fucking drag, so I dunno, I guess I tolerated Witcher 3 the best. Unless you consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2 an open world game, then I would choose that one. MGSV was a huge letdown, Zelda has a ton of little annoyances that add up to a huge headache, and RDR2 would make a better Netflix series than a game.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really like open world games. Almost always lose intrest before they end, the only game I've played and enjoyed to the end on the list is Botw.
But I don't think open world games are for me so I don't buy a lot of them

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This thread makes me realise I don't really enjoy open world games very much. MGS5 and BOTW were both pretty average to me. Witcher 3 I quite enjoyed, but never finished. Red Dead 2... I don't know if I could be arsed playing it to be honest. Seems like a bit of a chore.

I will say that this thread is almost like a breath of fresh air, because it's busted the "RDRRRR2!!!" hype balloon to a certain extent. Too bad it's been replaced with presenting BOTW as some sort of religious experience.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
While both The Witcher 3 and BotW had amazing worlds to explore, Red Dead Redemption 2 is way ahead.
It's the most impressive gaming world I've ever visited. There's just so much to do and see, and all the random characters and events makes it feel alive.
I hardly ever fast travel because I actually enjoy riding through the scenery even if it takes forever.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda BotW was a magical first time experience. The joy of exploration is unparalleled, not enough games encourage you to just wander.

Only on chapter 2 of RDR 2 right now but I could see it easily being second place.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This is a brutal question to try and answer because there's been a number of classics that all excel at different things.

If I had to choose based on gameplay, I would go with Horizon. If I had to choose best use of the open world setting, I would go with Breath of the Wild. Witcher 3 takes best story and storytelling in an open world setting.

Ultimately I think I'll go with Witcher. It's the most complete package of everything I want in an open world game even if the gameplay isn't particularly great. I LOVE the map full of icons approach and unlike other similar games, its world, story and characters are top tier.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV followed by RDR2

Horizon, BOTW, Witcher 3, and FFXV somewhere under them

Then crap like Fallout 4 and ass creed

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread really makes me want to play BOTW, it's funny because the honeymoon period for RDR2 already ended for me. Not even a month after launch.
Honestly, era really lets a lot of things slide imho. You should play it cause it is an important talking point, but the hyperbole around it is astronomical in some instances

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Best open world game to me is still The Witcher 3.

RDR2 has the best open world, but witcher 3 is a better game overall.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Honestly, for me it's in the top 5 most over rated games of all time (right up there with GTAIV and Modern Warfare 2). I think that for some people just being a Zelda game alone is enough to bring a lot of "magic" to the experience. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that... other people feel that way about Marvel characters, or Halo, or Mario etc. It's fine and natural, but plenty of people went in expecting to love the game and were going to love it unless it was crap (it's certainly a good game at the very least!).

Yes, this is a hot take but it's my honest opinion. Plenty of people seem to love the game for its own merits, but I think being a Zelda game adds a lot for some. As only a casual Zelda fan, I didn't get a whole lot of "magic" from the game. Once again, this is just my opinion and not something anyone should take too seriously!