• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best TMNT show?

Votes: 250 51.5%

Votes: 131 27.0%

Votes: 104 21.4%

• Total voters

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Was Rise of the TMNT ever actually released? I don't recall people ever talking about it, beyond the initial reveal.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2003 for me. Great 2D animation, character designs, voice acting, darker tone with humour, and a really good first five seasons. Show doesn't really get enough respect. Still surprises me that it was a 4Kids show.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Was Rise of the TMNT ever actually released? I don't recall people ever talking about it, beyond the initial reveal.

It is because you are not in animation cicles

It does some weird choices (like the focus on ralph) and some understandable choices (basically every enemy is a mutant) that makes it feel weird to TMNT but damn the animation is chefkiss.gif

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
'87. A lot of it is nostalgia, of course, but I still genuinely enjoy watching it every now and then. Could never really get into the newer ones.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Fred Wolf TMNT. Its becoming more and more about the voice actors and music scoring. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but cartoons in general are worsening in sound design.

RoTMNT is probably cool but the character designs are kinda iffy and that results in ugly toys. Maybe kids like them; I don't know.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the 80s version, it aged terribly. I love tmnt but you have to have some nostalgia glasses on if you think the 80s one is good.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I just remember trying to re-watch the 87 cartoon on DVD (after having bought all of them on DVD... sigh) and the first 2 episodes being soooo good. Then, in the 3rd episode, the fucking Neutrino's showed up! I was like wtf?!?!?! I could've sworn they weren't until the 3rd season! Let alone the 3rd episode. It kinda ruined the rest of the experience for me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The best? Probably the 2012 version.

My favorite? The classic.
source.gif

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I grew up with the 2003 one so that would be my pick. From what I've watched from the 2012 series was really solid as well.

I've never seen the '87 one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably because most people likely think it's not very good. I've watched through about half the first season with my three year old, neither of us cared for it (he likes 1987 and 2012 well enough).

It feels like it's going for a Teen Titans Go sort of thing but only half-commits to the concept and ends up tonally a mess.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just remember trying to re-watch the 87 cartoon on DVD (after having bought all of them on DVD... sigh) and the first 2 episodes being soooo good. Then, in the 3rd episode, the fucking Neutrino's showed up! I was like wtf?!?!?! I could've sworn they weren't until the 3rd season! Let alone the 3rd episode. It kinda ruined the rest of the experience for me.

This reminds me ... the season thing makes no sense for the 87 series

taZpL2s.png

What kind of show has a season with 47 episodes and another with 5 ?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

taZpL2s.png

The original Ninja Turtles was actually only going to be a mini-series of a few episodes, just to promote the toyline. It... kind of took off, so they ordered more than double for the next season. Then Turtle Mania was in full swing, and they went all out with 47 episodes next season and 41 in season 4. They started to scale it back as viewership steadily began to drop.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger

It does some weird choices (like the focus on ralph) and some understandable choices (basically every enemy is a mutant) that makes it feel weird to TMNT but damn the animation is chefkiss.gif

I get the feeling that if you loved Jackie Chan, you will love this. Shit looks fun to watch.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
2003. Rise of and 2012 are great as well vs 87 which didn't age well and Next Mutation which was only memorable for adding Venus, but 2003 is the closest to the comics without changing things up too much. 2012 is superior in regards to "paying homage" however.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
2012 was my favorite. Strong characterization, a decent middle ground between the silliness of the concept and mature themes. Unlike 2003, the 2012 did not shy away from death. I loved Splinter's lesson about the difference between showing mercy to a street punk and showing mercy to someone like Shredder (tip: it's terrible horrible idea).

My main problem with it was the amount of filler episode. There was a whole season taking place in space that put the show's most interest plot point, the decade-long feud between Shredder and Splinter, on hold. But when it came to the episodes about this, it shined.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who grew up with the 1987 one, loved it and will never shake the nostalgia off...

... 2012 is the best one by far.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed both 1987 and 2003. But I was not a fan of shredderkrang.

Also James Avery as Shredder is the best. TONIGHT I DINE ON TURTLE SOUP

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
My biggest problem is aside from the 80s cartoon getting these series on DVD as one coherent affordable collection is not possible

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
2012 was my favorite. Strong characterization, a decent middle ground between the silliness of the concept and mature themes. Unlike 2003, the 2012 did not shy away from death. I loved Splinter's lesson about the difference between showing mercy to a street punk and showing mercy to someone like Shredder (tip: it's terrible horrible idea).

My main problem with it was the amount of filler episode. There was a whole season taking place in space that put the show's most interest plot point, the decade-long feud between Shredder and Splinter, on hold. But when it came to the episodes about this, it shined.

Shredder's obsession with killing Splinter was so severe that he didn't care about the complete destruction of the entire world.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the 80s version, it aged terribly. I love tmnt but you have to have some nostalgia glasses on if you think the 80s one is good.

I'd argue that the original five episode mini series aged decently, but once it went to series there was definitely a change in tone, animation quality (season 1 is "secret anime"), and what they were allowed to get away with in action scenes.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I grew up with the '87 show but it was formulaic nonsense like almost everything else at the time. Both the 2003 and 2012 shows are better, with 2012 being by far the best. It's not even close. 2012 is on a completely different level.

The likes of Transformers and Thundercats are pretty much god tier from that period and wipe the floor with most cartoons over the last 30 years.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Best is 2012 imo. It's great from start to finish and isn't too goofy like 87 although it is my favorite but that's from pure nostalgia. 2003 was good until it go real bad with that time travel bullshit

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
As a kid who WORSHIPPED the Turtles growing up ('turtles' was one of the first words out of my mouth ever) I want to tell anyone in here saying they grew up with the 87 show that shit does not hold up. It's nostalgic, sure but that show is noooot good. 2012 however was amazing. At least the first four seasons were.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with this mostly. TMNT 2012 hit its lowest in the second half of season 3. After the mid season finale, the plot barely went anywhere the rest of season until the very end with little build up. I'm not a huge fan of the space arc but I thought it was better than the second half of season 3.

The series peaked with season 2. Nearly every episode of the second season past the first 4ish are great and the two part finale is my favorite episodes of the series.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The likes of Transformers and Thundercats are pretty much god tier from that period and wipe the floor with most cartoons over the last 30 years.

I've been a Transformers fan since 1984 and have a collection that numbers over a thousand individual robots, and I can unhesitatingly say that the '80s Transformers cartoon, while it is indeed one of the best cartoons of the time, is barely-watchable nonsense. Thundercats is better, but not by much. The competition was even worse, of course, but that doesn't make Transformers and Thundercats good. The only cartoon of the era that holds up without nostalgia to prop it up is The Real Ghostbusters, mainly thanks to JMS and his writing team that would go on to do even more great shows, including Beast Wars, which is easily the best Transformers show of all time.

The last 30 years have seen some of the best animated episodic content ever made, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll take Tiny Toons, Batman:TAS, Justice League, The Tick, the entirety of the Disney Afternoon of the early '90s, the aforementioned Beast Wars, Young Justice, Dexter's Laboratory, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and many, many more over the churned out toy commercials that populated the '80s. I have fond memories of a lot of that '80s stuff but watching it again as an adult reveals how slapdash and silly most of them were.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I watched TMNT 1987 as a kid and really loved it. It was so good and bought lots of toys, shirts, games and... based on that. So I have a nostalgic feeling about it and it'll be always in my heart.
But I think 2003 was a little better. Watched it in 2007 or 2008, when I was about 20 years old, but really enjoyed it from characters to villains and...
Don't know anything about 2012 though.
------------------
Guys, I have a question about TMNT 1987. Posted it months ago in another thread, but it seems no one knew about it or maybe it's something that I made completely in my mind! lol

There was an episode in TMNT 1987 that had a great fight scene with turtles fought with some robots in a big room. Not famous robots like Mousers, but some bigger robots that (maybe) were only designed for that episode. Those robots weren't like these and I think (maybe I'm wrong) they were like big animals or dinosaurs.

7qpv_rex-1.jpg

I want the name of that episode! :(

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

taZpL2s.png

Late, but although the question was already answered in a following post the reasoning behind 47 episodes for Season 3 and not some other number is simple: in order to qualify for syndication a production needs to hit the magic number of episodes, 65. Syndication of a popular show nets the network big returns, so they're quick to hit that number once they know they'll have a hit.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I watched TMNT 1987 as a kid and really loved it. It was so good and bought lots of toys, shirts, games and... based on that. So I have a nostalgic feeling about it and it'll be always in my heart.
But I think 2003 was a little better. Watched it in 2007 or 2008, when I was about 20 years old, but really enjoyed it from characters to villains and...
Don't know anything about 2012 though.
------------------
Guys, I have a question about TMNT 1987. Posted it months ago in another thread, but it seems no one knew about it or maybe it's something that I made completely in my mind! lol

Might have been this scene from season 1, episode 2 "Enter the Shredder"

That first five episode mini series was much higher quality than the show would be when it went to full series due to the higher stakes and Toei handling animation for the miniseries.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The 2003 series was fantastic. Even though I saw the 80s series first the 2003 series beats it in every single way.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Also the final season of the 80s series was weird as hell. The sky was always red and the turtles could transform into more mutated versions of themselves.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Also the final season of the 80s series was weird as hell. The sky was always red and the turtles could transform into more mutated versions of themselves.

Yeah. That was when ratings were dropping, so they tried to revitalize the series by making it more like the shows that were beating it in it's demographic, X-Men and Power Rangers.

Also really downgraded the OP

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

yeah i remember having the show on every saturday morning out of habit, background noise while i ate breakfast or whatever. then one day i stopped to pay attention was all wtf am i watching

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That animation is quality no doubt.

Too bad it's tied to an art style and tone that I find utterly unappealing. I assume the kiddies like it.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
The Next Mutation was were it was at. =P

But seriously, the 1987 series will always have a special place in my heart--but the 2003 show was by and far the best interpretation of the franchise's roots (up until it became very obvious it had devolved into 4kids's Cash cow).

Some minor nitpicks I did have with 2003 was I hated Michaelangelo's voice, the plot twist that Shredder was an utrom, while an interesting take, was something I wish they didn't do (and something I dread every time Shredder debuts in a new medium), oh and I hated how the Turtles Forever special consistently shat on the 1987 cartoon.

The 2012 show was alright, but sometimes it felt like it blurred the lines between paying homage, and just flat-out ripping off 2003. The constant delays in between episode releases did not help one bit.

Fuckin' loving the new show.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That animation is quality no doubt.

Too bad it's tied to an art style and tone that I find utterly unappealing. I assume the kiddies like it.
Yea Rise's humor and writing style is a major turn off. Which is a shame because the amount of animation it has is insane for an American cartoon and I wish they had it for a better TMNT series.

'87 turtles ain't worth watching beyond the pilot episodes
It's pretty telling my fondest memories from the 87 incarnation was actually from the games than the show itself.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might have been this scene from season 1, episode 2 "Enter the Shredder"

That first five episode mini series was much higher quality than the show would be when it went to full series due to the higher stakes and Toei handling animation for the miniseries.

That's it, thank you so much! :D
Really loved this scene and watched it hundreds of times in those days!

MeteoraVII

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
The first season of Nickelodeon's 2012 TMNT series is objectively the greatest and most consistently well-written iteration of the franchise. Ever.

Legit, it could go toe-to-toe with the likes of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Young Justice in terms of wit, charm, humour, philosophy, fight choreography, character development and storytelling.

After that, they dropped off Joshua Sternin & J. R. Ventimilia, and the show just meanders in quality and never really reaches those heights again (with few exceptions; Slash and Destroy, Wrath of Tiger Claw, The Invasion, Mystic Quest, Owari etc)

I loved the 2003 series as a kid, but watching it now is just cringe-inducing.

The 1987 series is decent though.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BUMP.

Why wasn't the 2018 show included in this poll? Just because it's on going?

I'd love to see a ranking of all 4 shows, especially just comparing their first seasons (and maybe include Season 2 for '87)

Anyway, I've begun working my way through the 87 show from the beginning. It's been many, many years.

i don't think I've seen any of the other series, maybe outside the random clip and what not. oh, maybe I saw like the first two episodes of 2003 once, way back then.

As I'm currently in Season 2 of 1987 atm maybe I'll sample all first seasons of the other 3 shows when I finish this run of eps.