• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with:

9, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, Lost Odyssey (it's a FF, fight me), 15, 13.

Haven't played the first 5 or the MMOs.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
People nitpick it's last dungeon but the systems and scenarios (breezy as they are) in ff3j are pretty great. If it had a QOL update beyond the DS version I'd be so happy even if the story is a bit hohum. Anyone picking ff2j is trolling

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
11, but since that's an online game and the original experience is long lost, I'd go with 7. 7, 6, and 9; probably in that order.

Also, this thread made me realize there are people who enjoy FF15. Ya'll are wild.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one you played as a kid. FF7 just happens to coincide with everyone on here being 8 years old at the time. 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one you played as a kid. FF7 just happens to coincide with everyone on here being 8 years old at the time. 🤷‍♂️

My first one was 13, second 15, and 7R is my third, and that one is definitely my fave in both gameplay and story. Something just immediately clicked and the characters are something special, and I don't have nostalgia for them.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
XIV is a great game but I'm always surprised to see people talk about how it's a great Final Fantasy story when really only with Shadowbringers does it evoke the same kinds of themes and overall feel as a mainline title.

I found the story pretty rough going until then to be honest.

crowseye

Jul 22, 2018
10 is probably my favourite game ever so that.

After that it's original 7 as another one of my favourite games ever even though I never finished it.

Its a bit of the way down to 8 which I remember being pretty great, never finished fully but remember enjoying at the time.

15 was very flawed in parts but has a great ending and a villain I wish we got to spend more time with.

Then 12 and 13 at the bottom for similar reasons, I played all of both but story and characters or the combat weren't very interesting to me. 12 had the more interesting world and some better characters so would put it ahead of 13.

Currently playing through FFXIV which reminds me of 12 a lot still at Realm Reborn part so I'd probably put at around 12s level maybe a bit lower. Haven't played 1-6 or 9. FFVII remake is up there with original 7 and could even reach 10 if the other parts are as good.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
8 is my personal favourite but up until 15 I enjoyed every single one of them

I like 5 a bit less than the rest of them I guess

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
VII, you are welcome.

Honestly they are all different so it's all about personal preference.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
XII by a large margin. By far the best cast and world in a FF game. Also best battle system.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
XIV is a great game but I'm always surprised to see people talk about how it's a great Final Fantasy story when really only with Shadowbringers does it evoke the same kinds of themes and overall feel as a mainline title.

I found the story pretty rough going until then to be honest.
Heavensward is already a top 5 FF story

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Easily VII and it's not even close.

I just finished XV and while it has flaws, I enjoyed it. Its ending was very well done.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
V. Was always more into the classic look, and the job fiesta is always a fresh way to play.

Though thinking about it, I've never really disliked a FF. Granted, I notably haven't played XIII nor II so maybe either of those would change my mind on that lol

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
VIII is my personal favorite but I mean probably VII or X in terms of being 'the whole package' for most players

I to III certainly aged, but from IV to X you can't really go wrong, they're all fantastic games

XI onward.... ehhhhhhhh..... XIII, XIV and XV all have major issues and XII is for the Ivalice fans which I'm not

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
IX.

I like the story, the sidequests, the ability-learning mechanics and I also prefer when characters have predefined "classes"

Then it would be IV because of the epicness and sense of grandeur

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My top three would be VI, IX and XII, but I don't think I could pick a favourite. Weird to think I haven't really enjoyed one for 15 years now though, which is about twice as long as the period of time in which I was really liking the series (the SNES games didn't come out here).

Oct 25, 2017
7 = Tactics — 9 — 8 — 12 — 10 — the rest. Haven't played too much of 6 though and I know everyone loves it.

Last edited:

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Where would those that have played FF Tactics put it in the ranking?
Tactics has one of the better stories (if you like political intrigue then its by far the best) the gameplay is a bit lacking. You kind of have to make your own fun with the job system. The game has some poorly designed moments that can leave you with a softlocked save file if you arent strong enough in the right way and dont have a save you can return to and grind.

I would have Tactics fairly high. 9, 7, 10 are my easy top 3. Tactics and Tactics Advance probably fill out the top 5

5 (and 11) are the only ones Ive never finished.

12 and 4 are very good.

1, 12, 8 and 15 are good but YMMV.

2, 3 and 13 are not really worth touching.

I played 6 for the first time recently and I don't think it holds up unless you're really into open worlds.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Tier 1
7 , 6 , 4 , 10 , 12
Tier 2
11 , 3 , 8 , 9 , 1
Tier 3
15 , 2 , 13 , 5

The only one I haven't played is 14 and I would imagine it goes up there with 11.
edit: if we include tactics that goes right up between 6 and 4.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017

Played the first 7 ff games, currently playing 8.

7 was good but it didn't grab me as much as i thought it would.
6 is definitely the best. Such a beautiful game.

Oct 25, 2017
Top Tier: VII, XII, XIV (Also Tactics). VII is probably my fave

Second Tier: X

Third Tier: VIII

Fourth Tier: XI, XIII, XIII-2

Bottom Tier: I, XV

Haven't played the rest yet

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It's FF XV for me. I truly love how flamboyant Ardyn is and I think he is by far the best FF villain out there.
I enjoyed the game from the beginning until the very end when it came out. There probably are better FF main party characters out there, but the brotherhood bond between the 4 bros has stuck with me since 2016.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
VII

IX sucks. Fight me
Agree with the first part.

Not with the second part.

Let's do this.

e9d9d40eef4ab994670c08524e35bbdb.gif

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I like the tier idea!

VII, VIII, X, VI, Tactics

Second
X-2, XII, III, V, XIII

Third
IX, XV, I, XIII-2, XIII-3, IV

Fourth
XIV, II

Bottom
Mystic Quest, XI

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FF7 draws a lot of ire from people because of all the attention it constantly gets, the KH versions of the characters, the movie, and the compilation of FF7 games. Basically everything that followed after the game itself.

But I stand by that OG FF7 is an amazing game with poorly aged graphics. It still stands as my favorite.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I actually like Mystic Quest, lol. My least favorite games in the series are FFII (NES), and FF13.