• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the ones I have played and completed (still have four to go) it is VII followed by XII, then VIII

Oct 25, 2017
Proabably 14, and I've only played ARR so it sounds like my opinion of it would get even better if I played it more.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's 14. Granted I haven't finished any of the others, but 14 is just SO GOOD (even solely for the story) that I have a hard time seeing what could top it. I think 14 might be my favorite game ever lol.

Proabably 14, and I've only played ARR so it sounds like my opinion of it would get even better if I played it more.

Yeah it definitely would. Heavensward by itself (not counting the other expansions) is really really good.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XIV, X, VII, and VI are my favorites by far. There are some I haven't played in a very long time though, like IX and IV. I've played IV enough to know that it's not one of my favorites but I can see IX being up there.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
XII and XI for me.

Both have such rich, detailed settings and wonderful art that keeps me coming back.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I see ff14 everywhere, I guess when you ignore the trash ass MMO combat?
Executing brain-bending raid mechanics while keeping up with your rotation is intense, active, and satisfying. Watching a group perform everything correctly in sync is a triumphant delight. I play XIV primarily for the battle content and enjoy the story on the side when new patches come out.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
X for me, closely followed by XIII. Both great games with amazing stories and top tier soundtracks.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
X followed by XIV

If it weren't for nostalgia and X being my first, XIV would have been on top probably.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
VII and XIV after.

Since ARR XIV has come a long way.. incredible job from the producers on every expansion and crossovers.

Last edited:

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
VII and VI. VIII also deserves an honourable mention for me due to being the first ever FF I played but it has its flaws. I think it has the best universe and music of all though.

I like X but it did remove some of the aspects I really enjoyed in previous entries, like the world map.

XII had some highs, but when I last played it, the plot just didn't leave much of an impression on me and felt somewhat "there" compared to previous entries.

I liked the premise of XV but I lost interest about an hour into the game and haven't felt a desire to go back into it since. I just didn't feel invested into the story and I couldn't connect with the characters that much. Cautiously optimistic about what XVI will bring.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
9 > 7 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 4 > 13 > 10 > 12 > 2 > 3 > 1

Counting the ones i finished.

Edit: Tactics would be between 8 and 5 i guess. Every other spin off is at the bottom.

Last edited:

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
VII, then XII...

Hated X, liked X-2 more, never played VIII, tried and hated XIV, loved the one with Terra (don't know which number it is in the West, or the East, for that matter), I believe I played II and III on an emulator and, while enjoyable, never finished them, XV was decent, but I only played before patches and DLC, XIII bored the hell out of me and I never bothered with the sequels, never played IX...

Oct 27, 2017
VII, VI, IV and IX are the strongest entries in the series for me followed by X-2 (and by extension X) for its gameplay and job system. I also love the lore of Spira. What is so great about these is they all have different styles and themes and that's where FF shines. If I had to choose one given my name on here you can tell it would obviously be VII but IV is close behind.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
My personal favorites are IV, XIV, and XV. But honestly I think XIV has surpassed them all as the best mainline. Especially story wise.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
VII > X > IX > VIII > XII > XV > XIII > V > IV > I > III > II

Honestly, those top 5 can move around any time depending on how I'm feeling. VII is a lot more fresh on my mind these days so I've put that up top, but it has easily been X or VIII sometimes. VIII was actually my first so will always have a special place in my heart. I think if I was forced to remove all others from existence and only save one of them, it would probably be VIII.

I've not really played XI, I'm still in ARR for XIV, and for whatever reason I've still not ever really got very far in VI that I don't feel comfortable putting them in that list.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
VI is peak 2D. 3D is between X and XIV.

XIII and XV are the worst.

VII aged badly but its still one of my favorites. Same with VIII.

XII is a weird one where I hate that it revolves around making the game play itself and I didn't like any of the characters except for Balthier and Fran. The plot isn't good but the script and voice acting are fantastic and the world building was great.

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
VII > VI > XV > XII > VII Remake > VIII > IX > X > XIII

Not played the rest. Looking forward to XVI avidly, but dearly hope it's self-contained story wise. No anime movie prequel BS, no knowledge of anything going into it and that it features a tighter narrative than XV

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
It's sad how few of the responses include FFXII. Guess it just shows you how passed-over that game was on release, even though it's seeing somewhat of a resurgence lately.
FFXII closely followed by FFX.

Having just recently played XII and X back to back, I have to say I'd agree. X is wonderful for its charm, personality, OST, and unique world. It's a nice blend of old and new, even if the wonky dialog and animations hold it back a bit.

XII is incredible for its mechanics, mature story-line, and spectacular art direction. I find the game to look absolutely stunning, even today. The facial animations and voice work was way, way ahead of its time.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've only played VII (+compilation), X, XII, XIII (+sequels), and XV so far, but of those I'd have to go with VII.

Admittedly it was my first, so that probably colors my opinion a lot, but I also genuinely think it just has the overall best experience. Its plot is thoroughly explored and well paced/built up, it examines a lot of meaningful themes (eco health, capitalism, loss, one's personal identity, vulnerabilities, and flaws), every character feels properly realized and fully fleshed out, and the way the overworld and travel is handled makes the world feel cohesive and huge. The material and ATB systems are also pretty damn great, and that's coming from someone who doesn't much care for turnbased-type stuff. Also, just personal preference, but I love love looovvve the grungy 90s diesel/cyberpunk aesthetic it's got going on. *chef kiss*

X is the latest FF I've played and it's made itself a pretty close second. Its story and characters are near equally fantastic as VII's -- only pulled down by it's super blegh combat system and incredibly eyerolly sexualization (srsly, Yunalesca has one of the coolest FF design concepts but what the fuck is she (not) wearing???? And don't even get me started on fkn Dona's fashion crime nightmare).

Personally, I really liked XIII, as well. I don't think it's as good as VII or X in the story department (especially since it's so convoluted and requires datalog reading), but I really liked all the characters and how much time it spent on each one's personal struggles. It's also got the best OST of all the FFs and a crazy fun combat system. Its sequels are very solid and enjoyable games, too, however I think they're best viewed separate from XIII as they kinda ruin and retcon its story and later walks back a ton of character development (LR is especially guilty of this and its secret ending is super ultra mega dumb lmao).

XII has my absolute favorite art direction and world aesthetic, but its story and characters were very boring to me, and its combat the worst out of 'em all. A beautiful, yet bland, experience.

XV I have a like-hate relationship with. Bros are fantastic to just run around with, the combat is kinda janky and simple but still hella fun, Prompto's photos are my favorite things ever, it is legit the most beautiful FF game in terms of graphics and lighting, has the coolest secret dungeon, and there are a lot of genuinely really brilliant story moments you can find shining through all the bullshit. But good lord is there a lot of bullshit. You can practically see the development hell in its every corner; the story's execution is an utter mess, it has a required viewing list, huge holes carved out for DLC, and characters and locations you can tell were once waaayyy more important but whose stories got axed. It's also super obvious they were aiming for an emotional response similar to something like VII or X w/ Noctis and Luna, but they flubbed Luna so hard it just falls completely flat. She is the most cardboard boring character ever, with no proper agency of her own and whose sole purpose is just to motivate and bring Noctis angst, and somehow they expect me to care about her?? Lmao.
Ardyn is a super fantastic villain, though, and the game fully fkn nails you in the feels over the bros' friendship. This game's ultimate blessing is its journey.

Hyperbolic Hot Take Bonus: FF7R is poo. Its combat is trash, the whispers are stupid, the purple sparkly blood sucks, its hallway simulator experience is worse than XIII's, and its skyboxes are ugly as fuck. Rufus' fight was cool as shit, though. Also Roche is flawless.

The worst FF game is FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

IX is personally what's next on my list. I've heard a ton, a ton of great things about it and I'm looking forward to seeing where it ends up landing with me. :D

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
FF IX is the best game in the series overall.

VI and VII hold a special place in my heart but IX had all elements working together nearly flawlessly in a way no other game in the series has before or since.

Genz

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere between 6 and 11 ; maybe all of them, when they were pushing boundaries.

Now it's just about being safe, bland and uninspired.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
Of course VIII, but XIV is getting better and better and im still in stormblood, so im excited to see shadowbringers and endwalker

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
I'm playing both XV and IX right now and they're my entry to the franchise. I've been enjoying IX a lot, it has a lot of heart that you just don't see in modern games. XV is good but I agree with the consensus that it wasted a lot of potential.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I have the best memories of V - IX and XIV. XIV is probably what I'd consider the best at this point.

Darkamlight

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
XII > IX > VIII > X > VII > IV > VI > III > II > I > V

I don't count XIII and XV cause I'd rather play a mediocre JRPG with another name.