• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best looking PlayStation (Launch Model)?

• PlayStation 1

Votes: 313 15.3%
  • PlayStation 2

Votes: 700 34.2%
  • PlayStation 3

Votes: 195 9.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 699 34.1%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 142 6.9%

• Total voters

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I randomly felt like booting up Astro's Playroom earlier today and ended up spending a lot of time just looking at all the "artifacts" which are various pieces of PlayStation hardware and accessories going back all the way to PS1. Besides being impressed with the models and getting hit by a huge wave of nostalgia, it also naturally made me think about which PS home console looked the best.

I think if I limit myself to home consoles (cause otherwise the Vita would be the obvious winner) and launch models (cause PS5 hasn't had a revision) then the PlayStation 2 would be my pick as the best looking console, with PS4 being a very, very, very close second and I'm still hesitating as I type this...

I'm curious what y'all would pick.

(You know what they look like but I know you want images anyway)
cCZd3si.png

Ftn08SX.png

pRELJ91.png

pFVmWfn.png

80RiSat.png

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
PlayStation 4 was clean as fuck and still looks clean as fuck. I'd argue the launch model PS4 is the best, modern design for any console.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by today's standards, or by the standards of each at their time of release? If the former, PS4. If the latter, PS2.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
The launch PS3 was extremely slick-looking, so probably that one. I legitimately love the glossy look, even if it is a fingerprint disaster.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If the white PS4 was at launch I'd say that one... otherwise probably PS1.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Controversial take, but I really love how the old PS3 looked. It just seemed so premium to me coming from the Xbox 360 (and having never owned a Playstation up to that point)

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There's only been one good looking launch PlayStation and that's the 1st one.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'd say the PS2 or the Vita. I don't even play my PS5 anymore so I moved it from the bedroom to the living room and whenever I pass by it I get annoyed at how awful it looks.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
5 DE > 4 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 3

Edit: after looking at the pictures again, changed positions of 2 and 4.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PS1: new and bold.
PS2: cool and futuristic.
PS3: classy look, very underrated.
PS4: simple and elegant.
PS5: i like it, but it's not the best.

I voted PS4.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for their time, a tie between ps2 and ps4. i like that ps4 was essentially a modern redesign of ps2, i think that had a lot to do with ps4's success

ps5 can look pretty sick with the right entertainment center getup but can look pretty gaudy in others. my living room has a post modern aesthetic thing going on so it fits right in

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 looked like the Batmobile, it automatically wins.

PS5 digital is sexy, too bad the disk version looks off because of the disk tray.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
PlayStation 4. Was really kinda bothered when I changed for a Pro, because that thing was ugly compared to my old model. Sony did the opposite of MS with the One, where the launch model was ugly and the revisions fantastic.

Though it's true my Ps4 was not a "true" launch model, since it did not have the glossy panel, and then looked even better.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I can't believe PS4 is winning. I would rank it last. It was so boring and had no character. I got one at launch and I could hardly picture it in my mind (I sold it like a year ago).

For me its:

PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PS5 > PS4

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
PS2 for me. I'm old now, but it looked so good when it came out. 4 was nice, but a little too bland. it was just a big slab

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 is my favorite because I like gray systems, and it sports the largest, and most visible, classic PS symbol on its shell.

Then I'd go PS2, PS5, PS4, and PS3, in that order. The only PS3 I ever really liked is the Slim version.