• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best game set in Ivalice? (Final Fantasy)

• Final Fantasy Tactics (War of the Lions)

Votes: 295 52.0%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Votes: 44 7.8%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Final Fantasy XII (The Zodiac Age)

Votes: 161 28.4%
  • Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Other (Vagrant Story, Crystal Defenders, Final Fantasy Tactics S)

Votes: 50 8.8%

• Total voters

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
FF12 without a doubt.
I just loved the combination of exploring, building a party and fighting. While the story wasn't the best FF story it was still very good. And this game ist just so beautiful with a great atmosphere. A timeless classic.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Choosing between Tactics, XII and Vagrant Story (AKA the absolute pinnacle of Square for me) is just too hard. Today I'll say FFT, tomorrow it would be Vagrant Story. I think all three games are masterpieces.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
As much as I enjoy XII, it's Vagrant Story. Such a fantastic game. And judging from the polling results so far, not enough of you have played it. :p

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I like Tactics Advance the most, in gameplay and in story, but that game isn't really set in the real Ivalice if I remember correctly? So I guess I'd go with FFTA2. I hate Luso and I don't think the story is good except when Adelle is relevant, but the gameplay is superb, and I liked the addition of the Gria (even though I wish they had more classes to chose from).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
FFTA is so special to me! It was my first tactical game. The music is so sweetly delivered. And the story was extra engrossing as s kid. But the gameplay loop was so addictive for me. It was perfect. A2 was better in some ways but the story was vastly weaker.

XII is one of my favorite FF's (Top 3) but I have to show love to the first game that brought me into Ivalice.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
XII is my personal favorite, but Tactics is simply one of the best games ever made.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Quiet the opposite with me, got bored with Advance and A2. The original Tactics was way more interesting.
I can't remember a thing about A2's story, other than that it was Isekai (-2). It's certainly more colorful and I like the environments but the main character is notorious for looking ridiculous; I did however like that it seemed less grindy than FFT and a bit less stressful to play.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Ugh, tough vote. Vagrant Story is my favourite game of all time, but wasn't really Ivalice. That was appended to the game, not the lead writer's original intentions at all. War of the Lions is a phenomenal game that is a true Ivalice game. I could vote either way and still feel conflicted.

Last edited:

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
FF12 is the best to explore the world of Ivalice. FFT has the best story about Ivalice. But FF14's Ivalice is the most fun I had:

Cid: "SHOW ME MORRREEE"
Players: "OH SH*T OH SH*T OH SH*T"

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
It's 3 raids and a quest line actually but I'm 2 raids in and I have no idea what they're talking about, it's definitely cool and the raids are epic but it's not really robust enough to include
Also, I understand the game is a homage to final fantasy and contains references to basically every game in the series but I still find it funny that they just made ivalice a canon part of the world

I found that weird too tbh, it's a bit jarring compared to the other references they've done (doesn't help they've imported some FFXII asset that are like 15 years old into the game).

Still, I do love the setting and the raids were great.

To answer the question id go with XII, it wasn't perfect but overall I enjoyed the world. Tactics was a very narrow look at what Ivalice is like as a whole, restricted by the format imo.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This one was hard... I went with FF12 simply cause we got the broadest scope of the world in that game.

I could have gone with FF tactics just because it was my first taste of that world and it was a great game, but to be fair that game was also just a lot of screenshots with very little interaction with the world itself.

And then there is Vagrant Story. Damn... I still can't believe a remake for this game hasn't been made yet. But unfortunately, this was also just a small slice of that world.

I need a Vagrant Story remake.

OP
OP
Makoto Yuki

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm not as surprised as I thought I would be with the results.

Though, I'm glad to see the love for Tactics.

At first I was kinda bummed XII was set in Ivalice since it's been done better, but at least they did a grounded take on Tactics Advance's Ivalice and it's various races.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Vagrant Story is obviously the best game, but when it comes to Ivalice lore FF Tactics is the one to go to, closely followed by FF XII.