• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best game of the generation?

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Bloodborne

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

• God of War

• Red Dead Redemption 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Voted BoTW. My brother does not like it because he says is empty, very few enemies, bad side quest... While I agree with those complains to an extent, I just love exploring the game. Sometimes I just kept wandering around places, visiting parts of the map I didnt visit, chasing a rabbit, finding a chest, looking for weird rock formations, watching the sunset...
I just enjoyed spending time in hyrule.

There are other games I played that were awesome and deserved a nomination like Doom, Hollow Knight, Steamworld dig2, Wolfstein, pray, Persona, XB2, Mario, Smash, Nier, MGS...

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
This is a tough one. Went for Witcher 3 because it feels like the one that has the best balance of gameplay and story.

Story: Witcher 3 > GOW > RDR2 > BOTW > BB (not really a fan of the way From does their storytelling but I respect it)
Gameplay: BB > BOTW > Witcher 3 > GOW > RDR2

1. Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. BOTW
4. GOW
5. RDR2

All excellent games with their own flaws.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough one. Went for Witcher 3 because it feels like the one that has the best balance of gameplay and story.

Story: Witcher 3 > GOW > RDR2 > BOTW > BB (not really a fan of the way From does their storytelling but I respect it)

I prefer BB's story (and its way of telling it) to all of those.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Voted the rightful GOTG for me, Zelda. It just sets itself apart in the kind of way that defines new gameplay ideas that are executed wonderfully. The game consumed me when I played it.

I wasn't actually expecting to see Zelda top out in this list because I know many care a lot for cinematic story and stuff.

Nice to see ERA out here with the quality taste :P

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

1. Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. BOTW
4. GOW
5. RDR2

All excellent games with their own flaws.
I adore The Witcher 3, but it's gameplay better than God of War? Opinions and all I guess but I'm genuinely confused at how someone would come to that conclusion.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Well it has the best character designs of this generation, so it ought to be recognised as one of this generation's greats.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate Xenoblade 2's dedication to making so many of the random pointless Blades each look like they could be the protagonist of their own cheesy JRPG.

DlX6hlkXsAAW53q.jpg

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer BB's story (and its way of telling it) to all of those.
I mean I didn't say anything bad about it XD
Its really good and my favorite out of all the Souls game, put it requires a lot of attention to detail and putting things together through the items and environments. I'm just too dumb to appreciate the hard work they put into all of that.

Last edited:

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe people don't agree it has major issues, idk
I really don't think that's the explanation (well, at least it isn't for me). It's my GotG, favorite of all time. But I could list dozens of things that I would consider as issues. It's just that the good really overshadows the bad.
Sure we could have had more Boss and Dungeon variety (design wise) and monster variety. The story could have been handled better (well, its main problem was the story trailer that made it seem like the story would be the main focus of the game)(Which by the way is also an "issue" : the two trailers (E3 2016 and January 2017) don't do justice to what the game is actually about. They depict an entirely different kind of game imo). Sure, there could have been more ways to use the materials (crafting for example).
But in the end, it doesn't matter, that's not what I remember the game for. That's not even what I think about when I play.

BotW is probably the most flawed GotG I've had (Super Mario Bros 3, Tetris (GB version, probably the closest game to have ever achieved perfection), Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy XII (well, this one could be considered as more flawed than BotW), Super Mario Galaxy) but it's my favorite out of them all.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
I adore The Witcher 3, but it's gameplay better than God of War? Opinions and all I guess but I'm genuinely confused at how someone would come to that conclusion.
Well I count everything you do in the game as gameplay, not just the combat :)
I never really understood the complains W3's gameplay got, I guess after 100 hours, it just never really bothered me. GOW's combat felt great, but I feel like they could have done better in many departments such the bosses and enemy variety. Game also felt a bit too strict on player agency in some sections, just not as bad as RDR2.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Well I count everything you do in the game as gameplay, not just the combat :)
I never really understood the complains W3's gameplay got, I guess after 100 hours, it just never really bothered me. GOW's combat felt great, but I feel like they could have done better in many departments such the bosses and enemy variety. Game also felt a bit too strict on player agency in some sections, just not as bad as RDR2.
So do I!

Fair enough. TW3's gameplay never bothered me either, I just think GoW is one of the best in the industry gameplay wise while TW3 is more in the average department. Narrative wise it blows GoW out of the water though, and GoW isn't narratively weak by any means.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
So do I!

Fair enough. TW3's gameplay never bothered me either, I just think GoW is one of the best in the industry gameplay wise while TW3 is more in the average department. Narrative wise it blows GoW out of the water though, and GoW isn't narratively weak by any means.
To be honest, I'm most likely giving W3 an unfair advantage because of the expansions. But yeah I agree that GOW's gameplay was very satisfying at times. And the storytelling was so good. The Leviathan axe alone is enough to put it ahead of Witcher 3 now that I'm thinking about it. This is why I dont like ranking or choosing the best game. I rather just give a game a 10, consider it a must play to anyone who listens and call it a day -_-

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
BOTW doing what it always does and winning by landslides

just imagine what happens when BOTW2 adds proper fucking dungeons hnnngggggg

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't decide between RDR2, God of War, and BOTW (also I'd personally throw Doom into this discussion).

They are all great for various reasons.

I'm leaning towards GoW at the moment though, but I just came off of it.
It's world, pacing, story, and gameplay are masterclass.
To me it's an absolute masterpiece, but then I can honestly say that about the other games I mentioned.
I just feel like GoW has the least issues

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
BOTW for gameplay, RDR2 for presentation. If pushed to choose one overall I'd go with BOTW.

It's the closest thing to perfect I've ever played.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More than anything, BotW has me excited for the next one, despite it not clicking with me. Some refinement will make it truly amazing.
Yeah proper dungeon and hopefully revamping if not outright removing the weapon degradation system could do wonders. You can encourage people to experiment with weapons via other means. Such as unique stats and rarity levels on weapons.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Bloodborne is my favorite but Zelda deserves it more. I'm not really sure what Bloodborne did to better or transform gaming as a medium, whereas Zelda is potentially game changing.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Out of the option in the poll, I have not played God of War yet but my pick is The Witcher. Only RDR2 can match how The Witcher intertwines story and the open world design but I have several complaints on RDR's mission design. So, again, TW handles better it's overall design with the open world formula.

Oct 26, 2017
Is Shovel Knight this generation? If so then that is my vote. Mario Odyssey otherwise
Shovel Knight is absolutely this generation and, yeah, it was a damn nice game

They need to fix the weapon durability, that is the most retard thing i ever saw on a game.
Nah, the weapon durability worked for the game, considering how free and open it is. You get weapons 24/7 so there isn't any need to treat them as some scarce resource

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Exactly the same. Day 1 with the game, breathless (but I've felt that before)

Then the game started unraveling.
  • Sidequests suck and the rewards are literally destructible
  • Collectables? Acorns...get them all, get acorn poo
  • Dungeons with brilliant puzzles and items? They gone
  • Easy AF final boss
  • Absolutely horrendous Voice Acting
  • Basically non-existent story
  • Stamina bar
  • Meh to poor DLC
And this all becomes more and more obvious when you compare it to the REAL game of the generation, The Witcher 3, which excels in every area BotW fails
Let's tear down this poll!!!! I agree so much!

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised Bloodborne isn't winning. Anecdotal, but there seems to be complaints of "Sony bias" that I see brought up time and again around Era. Heck, add the votes for BB with those for GoW and it still doesn't equal BotW.

That said, Bloodborne and BotW are far and away better than the others in the poll. (or what I've played anyway — haven't played RDR2 because I admittedly have no interest in doing so) I voted for Bloodborne because it's such a tightly constructed experience, but BotW is the best truly open world game I've ever played. It gives you minimal direction, yet you somehow manage to find the fun around nearly every corner. I wasn't loving the first few hours, but then I settled into such an organic groove with exploration. The world that they've crafted is truly remarkable.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
The list in the OP makes a strong point for how many amazing games this gen had. My goodness, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Monster Hunter World, Nier Automata, MK8...
Out of the 5 games in the poll it's Zelda with Bloodbourne up there. I don't even consider the other three good games. And I don't say that to be edgy: IMHO they are beautiful graphics show cases but mechanically bancrupt games.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Had to go bloodborne

It's just too good

No problem with botw though

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Easy, BOTW. It has its faults but it's the game I thought the most about when not playing it.

B_Mild

Dec 1, 2017
HZD for me. I know the melee combat sucks but nothing was as entertaining as killing all the 20+ kinds of robot dinosaurs with a varied arsenal of weapons. It also helps that it's a technical masterpiece in visuals and performance as well.

Second is either BB or DS3 depending on my mood.

Although I beat BOTW and Witcher 3, I wasn't too heavily invested in them as well. Maybe I have a hard time appreciating 10/10 games haha idk.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
1. GOW - The full package. An amazing world, story, combat, atmosphere, music. It all came together like a masterpiece.
2. Zelda : BOTW - Possibly the best gameplay of all time & the best open world ever. And the story was touching. I HATE open worlds usually but Zelda owned it.
3. Nier Automata - Combat, story, characters, music. It excels in them all. Especially the story. Coherent and touching.
4. DQXI - A golden age SNES JRPG in HD form. Need I say more?
5. Super Mario Odyssey - Gave me feels I haven't had since Super Mario Galaxy
6. Uncharted 4 - Fantastic adventure

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's probably Nioh.

For the top five there it's BOTW.