• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best game in OG Halo Trilogy?

• Halo CE

Votes: 234 37.6%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 109 17.5%
  • Halo 3

Votes: 279 44.9%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Hard decisions. Halo CE had an amazing campaign at the time, Halo 2 put console online multiplayer on the map, Halo 3 was a juggernaut back in 2007, and the multiplayer is still great.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo: Combat Evolved - Best sandbox and game feel in the trilogy; Halo 2's AI and level design is dissappointing and Halo 3 feels sluggish with it's FoV of like 2 and the weapons lack all impact.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
2. The multiplayer was the best and the maps for it were perfect. Halo 3 has maps that can kick rocks, and fuck BR spread and equipment.

plus not a big fan of Halo campaigns that aren't the first game.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Halo CE was far and apart the better and more important game. But Halo 3 launched on the much more popular console and got almost twice the sales, so I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear it has more fans.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
CE>2>3

CE was great at everything, MP included if you did LAN parties; 2 had a terrible SP but great MP; 3 was "meh" all around.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Each one innovated in such profound ways that so many are oblivious to , it's almost hard to call.

I love each and every one, but I think my over all favourite is 3

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think I like 3 the most. Campaign was great, multiplayer pulled me back into gaming after a year and a half off, and it was a really nice conclusion after the cliffhanger in 2. I actually kinda hated 2's campaign, too, but loved the multiplayer. Halo 1 is easily the most influential of them.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
2 was my fave, but it was also the first one I owned / my first xbox live experience. 3 and 1 are amazing too.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Halo 3's campaign was awesome, so that. Not that the others weren't good.

It's probably the only gaming trilogy that doesn't have a weak link. Well, maybe GTA 3D as well.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3. It only gets more impressive with each passing year.

LX9sFNO.jpg
zceUGhj.jpg

QHeVZzL.jpg
sQW11lC.jpg

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think 3 has the lowest number of bad campaign missions, so I'm going with that one. I know people love Assault on the Control Room but fuck if that isn't the longest slog of an FPS level I've ever played and I always take the bridge skip. ALWAYS. And Halo 2 has Gravemind, which I think is probably the most infuriating level in all of Halo, and it also has Jackal Alley (skippable), Jackal Valley (skippable), and Jackal Galley (not skippable but there's a good path for hightailing it to the exit). Much of Halo 2's awfulness can be mitigated by skips, in general, but it doesn't make those things any less awful.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 2 has the greatest collection of MP maps in gaming, period - each perfectly tuned for both Slayer and Objective games.

One bomb on this was insane.

maxresdefault.jpg

One bomb or CTF:
Halo-Zanzibar-Last-Resort.jpg

Two Flag:
1200px-H2_Coagulation.png

King of the Hill:

maxresdefault.jpg

8-player assault:
1200px-H2_Lockout.jpg

And it just keeps going...

Water Works
F-ing BURIAL MOUNDS

CONTAINMENT

Just non-stop greatness. All unique. All with amazing secrets to learn. All fair. All with decent-good spawns. All with a totally different feel. All that got better the more experienced you became. No game nowadays releases a collection of maps this broad and of this quality.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Halo 2 was the game I've played the most MP in in any game at all and I definitely loved the story at the time. I played the updated version multiple times in the MCC and have the most achievements in that one than any of the other ones. I guess my fave is Halo 2!

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Replaying CE a couple times this decade thanks to anniversary and MCC, I came to notice that it reuses levels and environments a lot, and the lack of XBL means I never got to play much multiplayer; I'd give it to Halo 3 no doubt.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Halo 3 launched with the most amount of content I've probably ever seen in a multiplayer shooter

Campaign
Multiplayer
Forge
Theater
Custom Games

I will say that Halo 2s multiplayer is probably the best although I played Halo 3 a lot more.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I remember when 3 released and everyone was talking about how 2's MP was so much better.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3. Multiplayer was untouchable at the time, a blast to play, and the campaign didn't have the rehashed levels of CE or the so-so pacing and cliffhanger ending of 2. Some of my best gaming memories with my friends happened over Halo 3, and it's the only game I ever skipped a day of school for, after staying up all night and plowing through the campaign.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I have the fondest memories of Combat Evolved. Definitely my favorite campaign and co-op experience. I played the PC version online a lot too but I didn't really play Halo 2 or 3 online enough to compare them.

hailvera

Sep 4, 2019
Halo 3 has the least number of bad campaign missions so I honestly have to put that as number 1. The second half of CE is just playing the game backwards (featuring AotCR, which is easily the most exhausting mission in bungieHalo history), and 2 has fucking Gravemind.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Halo CE for the campaign. It has an incredible atmosphere that hasn't been topped by its own sequels. The best forerunner art style in the game (pearlescent look with weird holograms > boring grey sheets in later games) Some of the GOATs missions designs. Perfect linear mid-sized sandboxes. Multiplayer is pretty phenomenal too. LAN CTF on Blood Gulch all day every day. Best AI in the series, still, somehow (even if it's smoke and mirrors). Chunky physics, like flipping a warthog looked like something out of an 80s action movie. Dat legendary Soundtrack

Halo 2's multiplayer has the best maps in the series, you're catered for whether you like small arena maps or if you're down for big map mayhem. The designs are a masterclass that the sequels could barely reach. Vehicle jacking is the bomb. It's a shame the mongoose and theatre mode were cut, it would have been amazing to have that in an already full MP package. I actually really like the campaign, I'll give you that the non-ending is lame and that legendary is broken but it has so much charm in its locations and overly ambitious story. Dat Rawk music

Halo 3 has a fairly polished campaign but it doesn't have much of a soul, lots of funnelling through areas that lacked the exploration of CE. Some really badly written events for some of the side characters. Multiplayer was a big step-down imo, slower movement, terrible FOV, a BR that didn't really work online, poor weapon balance, maps that lacked some of the clever movement paths of Halo 2. Theater was great though.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Halo 3 has the least number of bad campaign missions so I honestly have to put that as number 1. The second half of CE is just playing the game backwards (featuring AotCR, which is easily the most exhausting mission in bungieHalo history), and 2 has fucking Gravemind.
Going through Cortana in Halo 3 is a bigger nightmare than any of these lol.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Halo 3, because it was such a perfect fucking finale. Were it so easy to believe how badly 343 would tarnish all these characters in Halo 5: Guardians...

uAiqx82.gif

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Halo 3. Custom games alone elevates it. Having everything else like the full package that it is seals the deal.

Still think Halo 2 had better campaign and matchmaking however. But you can't beat custom games.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the Cortana complaints myself. Of all of the trilogy's Flood levels, that one is the easiest. Save for maybe the first Flood level in H3. That one is even easier.

Basically, Flood were far worse in the other games.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2 has the best MP, but Halo 3 has the best campaign.

Damn I dunno what to pick

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 3 was great in college and Halo 2 was a fantastic MP event for myself and my High School buddies but damn nothing holds a candle to the magic that is Halo 1. From SP and co-op (Assault on the Control Room) to LAN parties and XBConnect it was goddamned magical. Some of my fondest memories in and out of gaming.