• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'll echo Titanfall 2 for best single-player campaign.

Destiny 2 is free and like others have said has some great gunplay. If you do go for it you need to go to a vendor called Amanda Holiday once you get to the Tower social space to start the 'Red War' campaign which is the original Destiny 2 experience.

They made it optional when it went F2P so you could jump straight into multiplayer GAAS type stuff with friends without having to go through it, but its a good singleplayer experience.

It's also going to disappear come November 10th when the new dlc comes out and they streamline the game by removing some older content.
When you say disappear, as in no longer possible to play that campaign?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Apex Legends
Titanfall 1/2
Doom

Overall I'd say the best titles are underwhelming. The problem is that there's not many developers pushing into creative spaces within the FPS genre, who also have a sizable budget. The developers with the big money are content making the Call of Duty's and the Battlefront's, and games like Doom and Titanfall stand out because they are at least doing something to push the genre in an interesting direction.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Both Doom games (if you are a newcomer, Eternal might be HARD, be warned), Titanfall 2, Wolfenstein, and perhaps a Call of Duty (if you have PS+ you might own already 1 or 3).

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
When you say disappear, as in no longer possible to play that campaign?

Yeah they're removing four planets from the game (Titan, Io, Mercury, Mars) which will mean you can no longer play the Red War, Curse of Osiris or Warmind campaigns from the original release and first years expansions.

Campaigns from the Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions will still be available (and the new one from Beyond Light) but they're paid expansions as it stands, though they did just get added to game pass I believe.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah they're removing four planets from the game (Titan, Io, Mercury, Mars) which will mean you can no longer play the Red War, Curse of Osiris or Warmind campaigns from the original release and first years expansions.

Campaigns from the Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions will still be available (and the new one from Beyond Light) but they're paid expansions as it stands, though they did just get added to game pass I believe.
Interesting, thanks. I might give that a shot. Game Pass you say? I have that. I prefer not to use the crappy Win Store though so I'd rather not lock myself into that store for the game.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you want out of a FPS game.

MP - R6S
MMO - Destiny
A modern take on old school FPS - Doom Eternal or 2016
High mobility - Titanfall 2

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TF2
Wolfenstein TNO
IW
MW (newest COD) I also enjoyed the campaign and good MP

Doom I get why everyone loves but the fast paced twitchy style fps I've never been a huge fan of, too stressful lol.

And yeah destiny the gunplay is top notch.

Oct 27, 2017
Like the hat? what did you go for in the end? Did it scratch that itch? I get 'FPS fever' about once a year, but I never end up playing games satisfy me as well as the Halo games. I really need to pick up an Xbox One so I can get the MCC.

Not strictly first person but I'd argue Overwatch :)

Overwatch is exactly first person though? Although OP is looking for a single-player game, so that's not much good.

Hunt Showdown. May not look fantastic on PS4, but the gameplay itself is to die for

Again, OP is after something single-player. Hunt: Showdown does look neat, although I'm not one for online shooters generally.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal (Or just 2016 if you just want to shoot stuff in a low pressure environment).
Titanfall 2
Wolfenstein the new order.

I would add that Doom Eternal is probably the best single player fps of the last 15 years - at least in terms of gameplay. But it is quite stressful and that turns some people off.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
As far as single player experiences go, honestly none of them are particularly incredible. Titanfall 2 and DOOM do quite a lot for changing up the gameplay of the genre and are great fun, but their campaigns could certainly be a lot more interesting, and online modes leave a lot to be desired. Most others this gen aren't even worth mentioning unfortunately.

OP
OP
Like the hat?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Like the hat? what did you go for in the end? Did it scratch that itch? I get 'FPS fever' about once a year, but I never end up playing games satisfy me as well as the Halo games. I really need to pick up an Xbox One so I can get the MCC.

Overwatch is exactly first person though? Although OP is looking for a single-player game, so that's not much good.

Again, OP is after something single-player. Hunt: Showdown does look neat, although I'm not one for online shooters generally.
I thought about Titanfall but I don't generally like buying EA games and I missed it on ps plus. Then I was going to do Doom Eternal (I have the first on my switch) but since it's coming to gamepass and I'm getting a series X, I figure I'll wait for that.

So basically I didn't get any yet. Heh.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about Titanfall but I don't generally like buying EA games. Then I was going to do Doom Eternal (I have the first on my switch) but since it's coming to gamepass and I'm getting a series X, I figure I'll wait for that.

So basically I didn't get any yet. Heh.

If you can get over the fact that it's EA it really is one of the best FPSs in years, and it's often dirt cheap digitally too.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite warfare campaign was legit good. The multiplayer sucks but the campaign was brilliant.

That or Wolfenstein the new order