• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I remember reading a story that Adam West literally cried when he was told he wasn't going to be Batman in Tim Button's movie.

The man cared about the role. As silly as the show could be, he did understand Batman and played him with passion.
Batman is a constantly culturally evolving character that ultimately left West behind, and, as cruel as it was, I get that.

But it will never change the fact that, for me, West will always be a truer, more faithful representation of the Batman character on screen than Burton's decision to make him his pet ideal of a weirdo loner (even though I also have a soft spot in my heart for that version of the character as well).

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
For comics, The Long Halloween/Dark Victory is my favorite Bruce Wayne suit, but I fucking love Future State's Batsuit for Tim Fox is incredible. The emblem in particular looks fantastic.

1*4LuG9plhv7LgbzDxnuaXQg.png
latest

These are rad

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
The Beyond suit is shway.

Batman-Beyond.png

Great stylization for the slick cyberpunk of future Gotham, and the red highlights are quite striking.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then suit from The Batman nailed the practical look the best, BvS was a very different style that looked great and Arkham Knight nailed the power armor Batman look perfectly.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It would look very silly in live action, especially the mouth part
I can't speak for how well it would protect his face but appropriately written nano-tech could cover it like in the show. It's an interesting FX challenge too

Anyways, bats can fly because they are lightweight and not because they are built like tanks, as much as I like all the movie costumes.

Oct 28, 2017
18XRXe.jpg

This one is so good, it feels very comic book, and doesn't follow the "tactical armour" modern take. It also doesn't look rubbery when many of the others do.

The Pattinson one is cool, the dark eye make up was a brilliant touch.

This is right answer. Baffling that they changed it for the worse in Justice League

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
West - Good for the time, charmingly retro

Keaton ('89) through to Bale (DKR) - Pure trash

Affleck - Huge improvement, but ruined by terrible proportions

Pattinson - Pretty good, could use less armour

The answer is Pattinson, but the bar is low. They've really struggled with getting this character to look right in live action.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Batman is a constantly culturally evolving character that ultimately left West behind, and, as cruel as it was, I get that.

But it will never change the fact that, for me, West will always be a truer, more faithful representation of the Batman character on screen than Burton's decision to make him his pet ideal of a weirdo loner (even though I also have a soft spot in my heart for that version of the character as well).
Agreed.

Oct 25, 2017
The best Batsuit on film? My avatar gives the answer away, but it's Pattinson's Batsuit, followed by both of Keaton's suits in 89 and Returns. Kilmer's Panther suit in Forever is actually pretty great, even if the BatNipples are goofy, and Bale's Batsuit in Begins is fantastic. That said, I just love how Pattinson's Batsuit is this seamless blend of a ton of different Batsuit designs from various mediums. It's a visual love letter to the eighty-plus year long history of the character.

Aside from the armored suit from the title fight in BvS, I'd argue that Affleck's Batsuits are all grotesquely overrated IMO. Bat-emblem is way too chonky for my tastes, the lack of a visible neck on the cowl in BvS is goofy and I really hate how all of Affleck's Batsuits have those tiny nubs for bat ears on the cowl. Your mileage will obviously vary, but I think one of the key ways to best communicate that idea of Batman depicting himself to criminals as a "creature of the night" visually is through that large bat silhouette.

In animation and comics, it's much easier to make that silhouette pop, even if the cowl has short ears. In live action, however, there's more detail and nuance in the lighting going on, so the silhouette doesn't cut quite right IMO. Like take that one shot of Batfleck at the end of BvS in Arkham Asylum. We all know it's trying to do that classic Bat silhouette image we see all the time in the comics and cartoons, but it doesn't quite work. It's badass and scary in the sense that this man is a mountain of muscle, but since the ears aren't really popping into the silhouette, the visage isn't supernatural.

Meanwhile, Pattinson and Keaton's suits nail that aspect.

0-47-screenshot-1634535235768.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017