• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could be a series, movie, OVA, Netflix exclusive, Amazon Exclusive, anything. One of my resolutions this year is to really get back into the medium (Only watched some shows here and there, mostly stuff that aired on Toonami) so I'd like to see the best of the best of the last 9-10 years to catch up. Any genre is fine, so if you feel really strongly about recomending something, go ahead. Only thing I ask is that you say where it can be streamed/digitally bought.

My choice for best would have to be a not too controversial pick, Devilman Crybaby on Netflix. Seriously, go and watch this series if you haven't already. So good.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Has to be Mob Psycho 100. Brilliant animation, beautiful message that is based on empathy and self acceptance and it's funny as hell too. I love it.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Re:Zero

tenor.gif

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a series, movie, OVA, Netflix exclusive, Amazon Exclusive, anything. One of my resolutions this year is to really get back into the medium (Only watched some shows here and there, mostly stuff that aired on Toonami) so I'd like to see the best of the best of the last 9-10 years to catch up. Any genre is fine, so if you feel really strongly about recomending something, go ahead. Only thing I ask is that you say where it can be streamed/digitally bought.

My choice for best would have to be a not too controversial pick, Devilman Crybaby. Seriously, go and watch this series if you haven't already. So good.

...did you not read your own OP?

Anyway, my answer is definitely Haikyu! I'm not a fan of volleyball or really any sports, but the characters just hooked me. Fantastic series. Also available dubbed on Netflix, but only S1 and S2.

Season 4 is coming in a couple weeks.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Madoka, easily.

If you liked Devilman Crybaby, you'd probably like this. Don't let the baby faces fool you. It's more in line with Devilman than it is Sailor Moon.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Carole & Tuesday for me.

Aside from it being a wholesome show about two people aspiring to enter the music industry to be folk singers, the world is presented that's just a little off familiar tech levels, but just far enough to seem impressive without reaching too far into science fiction.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Land of the Lustrous would be my pick. I'm not even sure I can put into words why I think it's better than all the other great shows that aired this decade, but I truly love it.

The soundtrack probably has something to do with it.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Wandering Son.

Slice-of-life comedy/drama about trans kids.

It used to be on Crunchyroll; I assume it still is (not sure which version though, the Blu-ray release adds an entire episode (which is not filler)).

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
March Comes in Like a Lion
2b84f063ad221f2862b27adc8f4bc5ada5431b54.gifv

Or

Showa Genroku Rakugou Shinjuu
f813ed42e1189a575df57e48671c84a1f8c13574_hq.gif

Difficult to choose between them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has to be Mob Psycho 100. Brilliant animation, beautiful message that is based on empathy and self acceptance and it's funny as hell too. I love it.
Mob Psycho 100, with Attack on Titan as a close second.
Either Mob Psycho or Attack on Titan

Seen Mob Psycho Season 1. Also seen HunterXHunter from Greed Island onward. Does Attack on Titan get better after the first 5 episodes or so?

Ping Pong the Animation

And here I thought this was just a running gag in the Toonami thread. I remember an old OVA on VHS which was Ping Pong Club. Is that related?

Oct 25, 2017
*hastily looks up Astro Fighter Sunred*
2008-2009
SHIT!

But, S2, 2009-2010, HA-HA!

Okay, so it's a parody, but so is One Punch Man, the other obvious answer.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It may not have the best animation, but what Samurai Flamenco does bring in is a unique experience, one that you will never forget. I doubt you will ever find another anime like it. I salute you Manglobe for creating this masterpiece, even if it did cause your closure.
There+you+go+this+the+_6d957c4ac38aa590af6f970d67b3b26e.jpg

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
To all of you who didn't answer Pop Team Epic:

POP-TEAM-EPIC-hed.jpg

The best anime of the 2010s, imo, was Kill la Kill by a very long shot.

Edit: Fuck it, I'll post my Top 10 of the year:

1. Kill la Kill
2. Pop Team Epic
3. Steins;Gate
4. Yuri Kuma Arashi
5. Angel Beats!
6. Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
7. Ping Pong
8. Megalo Box
9. Kids on the Slope
10. Yuri!!! on Ice

Honourable mentions:

- The Tatami Galaxy [A sign of great things to come from the director, and an absolute mood when it comes to college life]
- Tiger & Bunny [The best Western superhero show came from Japan, who'd have thunk?]
- Mawaru Penguindrum [*deep breath* IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA]
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica [This was crazy to begin with, but that twist? Fucking hell.]
- The Flowers of Evil [What a vibe. Way to turn regular adolescent life into a horror mood.]
- Devilman Crybaby [Started great, turned meh, and then ended on a scene so incredible, I still often rewatch that scene to this day]
- Sarazanmai [*deeper breath* IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA]

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Revue Starlight, absolutely gorgeous anime with amazing music. Managed to tell a fantastic story that wrapped up nicely in 12 episodes.

Runner-up: Space Dandy, Watanabe's masterpiece. That show did EVERYTHING.

Movie: The Night is Short, Walk On, Girl. Beautiful film with a fun plot.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Shirobako by a country mile for me. P.A. Works has done a number of "working life" style anime (Hanasaku Iroha, Sakura Quest, Shirobako), and while they've all been enjoyable, Shirobako is simply a cut above anything I saw in the 2010s. It gets thumbs up from me for having a majority adult cast, handles drama and comedy with an equally deft touch, and mixes an adult woman's journey through her early working life with chill daily life elements.

Of course, being an insider's look (albeit a somewhat glorified one) at the creation of anime itself probably helps the show to do so well at creating a rich mixture of industry detail, interpersonal drama and inspirational "follow your dreams" sweetness.

It's an easy 10/10 for me, has helped me look at the world of anime differently, and is (in my eyes) a must-watch for any anime fan.