• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Gran Turismo PS1

Not joking or trolling.

It had to do with expectations. I didn't understand the concept of sims. I was a huge Ridge Racer, Daytona USA guy at the time.

I respect sims more but still don't vibe with them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Most were all top down isometric deals.
Those are what I remember most. I believe I was playing Megarace around the same time I first played Daytona USA, which in comparison Daytona blew me away. I'd have to check the dates though, memories hazy. But I remember playing Megarace and becoming so frustrated with it and the announcer dude my brothers and I quit playing it before long.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Megarace is basically the CD-ROM port of these:

F8CDjho.png

Trying to come up with any straight up terrible racing games, but drawing a blank.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Drift for the Game Gear probably. It was included on Sonic Mega Collection for the PS2 an/or Gamecube and it had the most basic track design I have ever seen. All tracks were basically similar to a square with rounded corners and the gameplay had no depth or powerups IIRC.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Penny Racers on the N64

There was a snes game I remember being awful as well, you had to try and do loops and stuff but it felt like it was running at 10fps

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Most Disapointed

Probably team sonic racing. That has more to do with how great All Stars Transformed was.

actual worst.

some flash game from the 90s that I can't remember

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Need for speed undercover on ps2 was atrocious. It was a sad moment when I realized that I was not enjoying a game in my favorite racing series, a sentiment that unfortunately repeatedly a lot in since then.

Also, cruis'n is awesome (in my memories)

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Crash Team Racing. I had no idea ppl actually liked this game until Resestera. Hands down the ugliest, least fun piece of knockoff trash I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Race Drivin' for Snes. It ran like 4 frames per second. It was just terrible.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
f1-race-stars-powered-up-edition-cover.cover_large.jpg

So in 2012, the official Formula One game was a Mario Kart knockoff for some reason? Outside of the uncanny valley chibi human designs of the official drivers, you had a kart racer that still wanted to have some realism, so if you get hit by an item, you take a permanent speed drop until you go into a pit lane to fix it. That said, you still have the standard Mario Kart item set, homing items included which you won't be able to dodge so... enjoy losing most of your speed if you are in front (At least the blue shell doesn't do damage with it being a safety car, perhaps the one good part about the game). Oh, and there's a warp item to that lets you teleport ahead of the person in front of you, so you can just sandbag, get a warp and then just, teleport ahead on the home straight to win.

They also wanted to add a female team into the game, but they came up with 2 generic female characters instead of trying to get the likeness of some actual female racers like Susie Wolff who was a development driver for Williams. The female teams F1 vehicle is full pink as well. Obviously.

They made all the courses more actiony, filled with various country stereotypes (Let's have giant sumo statues fighting in Japan! Abu Dhabi is now an Arabian Wonderland! etc. etc.)

I recall just giving up after trying each track once and then getting frustrated at the Gas Attack mode (Where you need to race and pick up gas cans to continue racing, don't run out of fuel.) It was a PS+ game so no harm no foul. Just remember getting frustrated and underwhelmed at it all.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I loved Sega Rally on the Saturn. But when I played Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast, wooo boy that frame rate was very inconsistent.

SputnikMonroe

Oct 30, 2017
To all the people saying MK64....are you kidding?! The worst racing game you've ever played?? Maybe it's nostalgia, but i put more time in that MK than any of the others. My favorite of the series. How dare you. How DARE you!

There's just so many awful generic racers, but for biggest disappointment, probably gran turismo 4. I bought it and immediately took it and traded it in for burnout 3. No regrets

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Someone already mentioned London Racer for PS1 - also Runabout was pretty dreadful.
Dishonourable mention for WRC5 on the Vita (not 4 that solid) which looks absolutely sub PS2 compared to say the WipeOut, F1 or Most Wanted on the same system.

To all those saying The Crew 2, I'm going to defend a little - It was uneven for sure, but there was fun to be had with it - the hovercrafts were great and I loved the New York to Los Angeles 40 minuntes drives across the whole country in a supercar.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played maybe a dozen racing games. Only half of which I've played for any significant amount of time.
When I was a kid, my dad had Test Drive: Offroad, and another one, that I THINK was Test Drive III on his work laptop, that he'd let me play while we were traveling.
I think Offroad was a newer game. It was in 3D, and looked and ran pretty well. It was fun.
Test Drive III was ass though. It also ran at like, 10 FPS.

Out of the racing games I actually own and have played a meaningful amount of.
Probably Chocobo Racing.
It was kinda like Crash Team Racing in aesthetic, but worse in every way.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Definitely Driving Emotion Type S for PS2:
driving_emotion_type_s.jpg

It released early on in the PS2 lifecycle and my dad and I were desperate for new releases so we bought it. It was so tedious and the car handling was extremely slippery. Soundtrack had some bangers though!

Mar 19, 2020
36549-ATV_Racers_%5BU%5D-1456650420.jpg

My stupid child brain assumed this would basically be Diddy Kong Racing. That sounds like fun! Surprisingly enough, it was not.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge on the NES. A first-person/behind-the-wheel racer that offers zero spacial awareness.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
jjOgRQm.png

Hard Drivin' sold 3,318 video game arcade cabinets.[1]

Zzap!64 magazine regarded the Commodore 64 port as one of the worst C64 games of all time—criticizing the monochrome graphics, painful slowdown, and the lack of instant replays that were present in the other 8-bit conversions. The magazine gave the game 20%, stating that "Even the AA couldn't save this wreck of a game".[21] However, the Spectrum version of the game rose to number 2 in the UK sales charts, behind Gazza's Superstar Soccer.[22] In Japan, the Mega Drive version received a score of 30 out of 40 from a panel of four reviewers.[23]

In 2004 Hard Drivin' was released for the GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox as part of the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 collection.

The PC games Stunt Driver and Stunts, borrow many elements from Hard Drivin' and both games are similar to each other.

I played it on Amiga, and to my recollection it ran like shit there as well. At least it lived up to its name.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
To all the people saying MK64....are you kidding?! The worst racing game you've ever played?? Maybe it's nostalgia, but i put more time in that MK than any of the others. My favorite of the series. How dare you. How DARE you!

There's just so many awful generic racers, but for biggest disappointment, probably gran turismo 4. I bought it and immediately took it and traded it in for burnout 3. No regrets
Mario Kart 64 is very average. If someone hadn't played a properly bad racing game it's definitely an understandable pick.
Even compared to games in the same gen it doesn't hold up (Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing).

Jun 17, 2018
I've really only played great racing games but I remember being very disappointed with Burnout Paradise. I guess I was hoping for more Burnout Takedown/Revenge with better graphics and more game modes. Not that it was a terrible game by any stretch, just one I remember not enjoying very much.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Megarace is basically the CD-ROM port of these:

F8CDjho.png

Trying to come up with any straight up terrible racing games, but drawing a blank.
I had one of these! Mine was a different brand but basically the same thing. Thanks for helping unearth some very latent memories, I had totally forgotten about this thing.

As for worst racing game I've ever played, that probably goes to Speed Racer on the PlayStation. It's not even that it's that horrible, it's just unbelievably boring and repetitive.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019

You are not the only one my friend, I also think MK64 is a superb racing game. It is one of my 2 favorite MKs, the other one being MK8. DKR was better than MK64, but both were great.

One bad racing game I played quite a bit was Extreme-G. At least me and my friends used to think the game was a stinker.. but it seems it got good reviews?

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017

Jeremy McGrath's Supercross World doesn't play, look, sound, or generally feel very good but I squeezed what entertainment value there was out of the game as hard as I possibly could as a kid.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Pokemon Dash by a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long way. It was one of the two games I got with my DS back in 2005 and it was the worst DS game I ever played, and one of the worst games ever made.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So in 2012, the official Formula One game was a Mario Kart knockoff for some reason? Outside of the uncanny valley chibi human designs of the official drivers, you had a kart racer that still wanted to have some realism, so if you get hit by an item, you take a permanent speed drop until you go into a pit lane to fix it. That said, you still have the standard Mario Kart item set, homing items included which you won't be able to dodge so... enjoy losing most of your speed if you are in front (At least the blue shell doesn't do damage with it being a safety car, perhaps the one good part about the game). Oh, and there's a warp item to that lets you teleport ahead of the person in front of you, so you can just sandbag, get a warp and then just, teleport ahead on the home straight to win.

They also wanted to add a female team into the game, but they came up with 2 generic female characters instead of trying to get the likeness of some actual female racers like Susie Wolff who was a development driver for Williams. The female teams F1 vehicle is full pink as well. Obviously.

They made all the courses more actiony, filled with various country stereotypes (Let's have giant sumo statues fighting in Japan! Abu Dhabi is now an Arabian Wonderland! etc. etc.)

I recall just giving up after trying each track once and then getting frustrated at the Gas Attack mode (Where you need to race and pick up gas cans to continue racing, don't run out of fuel.) It was a PS+ game so no harm no foul. Just remember getting frustrated and underwhelmed at it all.

I think it was a good idea in theory, and I do appreciate what they were trying to do. In practice there were too many restrictions imposed by FOM (iirc even drifting and flipping were barred).

Not exactly terrible, and not the worst racer I've ever played, but it wasn't great.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who say Sonic R plays poorly objectively do not know how to play. You're supposed to use the analog pad. Pressing up and down on the analog stick is your throttle or break, and use the analog triggers to steer left and right. Don't use left or right on the analog pad to steer. Use those instead as a hand break if you need to come to a hard stop. Because, if you turn with the analog pad, you stop pressing up, meaning you stop accelerating, which causes you to turn oddly. If you steer using only the analog triggers, the game plays just fine. You can tell this is the way the game is meant to be played, because when you control like this, your turning radius as you move forward matches the arc of rings on the courses.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

I played this a ton with a friend in splitscreen and had a grwat time with it.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
ps1_gran_turismo_p_kxfx51.jpg

The whole game was like trying to drive on ice. Atleast with other mediocre racers like Top Gear Rally or San Fransisco Rush I could find ways to make my own fun. Gran Turismo was just dreadful, there wasn't even anything wacky or interesting to salvage it somewhat either. It was devoid of fun. All it was good for was examining extremely pixelated bushes.