• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Title says it all. I've played a TON of racing games, and I've sifted through some crappy racing games over the years. Regardless, the worst racing game I ever played was, unfortunately:

To this day, for me, Sonic R is a fantastic set of songs that is unfortunately attached to a terrible game. Owning Sonic R is like owning an pitch perfect pop album that somehow also comes with a game slapped onto it.

Last edited:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I rarely play racing games, so my opinion is gonna be controversial, but from the most recent ones, its easily NFS Hot Pursuit (2010/2011, idk the year).

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I have played Sonic R. It's...bad. But honestly the music is so good I kind of like it?

I feel like the Flatout series was pretty dang bad. But there were some wonderful mini games that played with the psychics .

Honestly, the answer is probably some long forgotten GameBoy or GameGear game. They tried to make racing work on those handhelds...it didnt

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I had to think about it for longer than I expected, but Test Drive 4.

PwVRX8t.png

That box quote is a lie. I looked up reviews for the game and it's all like 2/5, 3/5, 6/10.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really did not like the NFS shift games or the Most Wanted reboot. I know I've played worse ones but names escape me so I'm going with those.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Sonic R is truly horrendous.

Pokémon Dash is also one for the infamy books.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
There was a game I was so hyped to play as a kid on Genesis. It was 3D polygonal graphics. I forget the name. you could go around vertical loops and stuff.

I enjoyed it at the time, but in hindsight, it was baaad.

Anyone know it?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Motorcycle Club.

It's actually hard to believe just a few years on from that trash the same studio are now outputting great WRC games.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I think I bought NFS Most Wanted 2012 for like 5$,played 1 or 2 races and deleted,never gave up in a so fast because how bad it was, didn't it help Most Wanted 2005 is by far my favorite racing game ever,so I hated this game almost instantly.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sticking strictly to recent games, Dangerous Driving was a particularly bad example of a developer demonstrating that they didn't understand why a previous game (in this case, the Burnout series) was so enjoyable to play, and turned around and released a game that felt awful to play. In particular, it had the worst drifting in any recent racing game.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
London Racer on PS1. There's even a race on the M25 which incredibly is more fun in real life.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly ? TDU2.

Played 2 hours. It was full of incoherent design and gameplay decisions. Butt ugly and would never EVER shut up

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High Octane Drift on Steam

I don't remember why I played it but I played it with a pal

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I played this game a ton when I was young and more easily amused. But yeah, it has not aged well.

Totally. Early N64 games were so hit or miss and I was still sort of at the age where the new and shiny stuff all just seemed great. The fact that Wave Race was such an amazing experience definitely didn't help. That said, SF Rush would eventually come along and become one of my all time favorites of the era.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indy 500 on Game.com is up there. Sonic R is awesome by comparison.

There was a game I was so hyped to play as a kid on Genesis. It was 3D polygonal graphics. I forget the name. you could go around vertical loops and stuff.

Anyone know it?

Sounds like either Hard Drivin' or Race Drivin'. The arcade versions were cool at the time.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

Anyone know it?
Hard Drivin'

It was a bad port but other versions were pretty fun for it's time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
most likely a cruis'n game

not that the games were bad per se but nintendo/midway pimped them out like they were on a whole 'nother level

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Worst is probably some top down thing on a spectrum...

Most disappointing for me was Auto Modellista. Everything about that game is amazing apart from the actual playing of it. The handling and track design was terrible.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Street game that came out not too long ago. I absolutely adore street racing games, but fuck, they completely shit the bed with this one. I miss NFSU... :'(

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looney Tunes Racing for the Playstation.

437574-looney-tunes-racing-playstation-front-cover.jpg

I hated it. Looney Tunes Space Race for the Dreamcast was alright, though.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I adored this game as a kid. I remember my cousin stole it and I was devastated. I feel like if I played it today literally everything would fall apart. So my bid.

It sadly gave me the exact same "oh no" feeling I had when I played Lego Island 2 after the first. Even as a child I was could tell the first was just better.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
People saying Mario Kart anything need to slap themselves in the face hard with a leather glove.

My vote goes to Cruis'n on Wii which I see has already been posted.