• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've complained before about this and to be fair I've had it explained I might be wrong and actually can progress (yet to try it) but in the GameCube Fire Emblem I think I missed a vital upgrade to Ike so now late game I can't beat the black knight.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
So this goes a ways back but the original Xbox was pretty unique by having a hard drive. No one really knew what to do with. But Remedy came up with the quick save system for Max Payne. Pretty amazing!

Unless you're in one of those crummy dream stages and accidentally save instead of load when you fall into oblivion. Just LOAD DEATH LOAD DEATH LOAD DEATH over and over again in a constant loop.

Not quite an intended checkpoint but...

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can't exactly remember the mission but it was Black Ops and I was completing the game on Veteran for that damn trophy.
CoD is just so fucking cheap on this difficulty with every soldier being a sniper. The checkpoint hit right before I was struck down by a bullet.
Happened multiple times. Sometimes I had to restart, sometimes I managed to survive after god knows how many tries.

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
You have to save at the end of Disk 1 in Baten Kaitos Origins... first thing on disk 2 is a hard boss fight!

If you can't beat it you're fucked as you can't go back.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I save scummed on New Vegas just as the big Legate guy attacked me at the end of the game. My last proper save was like 2 hours before so I just noped out and watched the ending on YouTube lmao.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Recore before patches, I got a checkpoint in a death loop. Was so broken!

Still l love that game :)

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Wolfenstein Youngblood final boss. What a fucking poor design choice that was.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure in my very first Pokemon Red game I got myself stuck in Victory Road. I didn't bring any pokemon with Flash. At some point I saved, but later realized I couldn't find my way back out. I thought about trying to get my team to faint to go back to the last Pokemon Center I visited, but I had used the duplication glitch in Cinnabar on Rare Candy's so my whole team was level 99. I was basically having to go through my whole team, use their PP, and try to struggle them to death as a result.

I ended up creating a new save file after learning my lesson >.>

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Was it the Garuda bird you fight right before Raithwall's Tomb? If I recall correctly, the game prompts a (non save crystal) save right before you encounter it. You go through a whole area without a save crystal before that so you can easily be unprepared for the boss and get stuck. Especially since the boss flies and can't be hit by your normal attacks. At least I think it was something like that. It's been some time.

doing a wiki dive it was the draklor labratory that did me in

but i remember raithwall being where the game is like "bruh.. save selectively" and thought that was BS. my 2006 mindset

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the game auto-saved while I was standing on a draw bridge that subsequently got lifted. When I died, reloading that auto-save would instantly drop me to my death in the spot where the bridge used to be. It was terrific.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
tumblr_m84sswBoYE1r0i38jo1_1280.png

Lol this was mine. And thus was when I stopped playing FFT

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One of the elevators in the Library in Halo. I checkpointed when a Flood human trooper's rocket launcher shot was about two inches from my head. So every time I respawned after dying, the rocket would just hit me and kill me instantly, over and over and over again.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This gem from Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time.

Get caught by the Security Robot? It throws you into the garbage chute taking you right back to the beginning of the level, right into the checkpoint there as well if you thought you could death warp back to where you were before.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My partner and I were playing Metro 2033 last week. We were on some boring level where the gasmask was needed and then the level ended quite unexpectedly with a small cutscene.
After the loading screen the first thing that could be heard was the filter warning beep, the one that tells you that you really need to switch out the filter or you will die. The chapter then starts with a long cutscene of Artyom following an NPC, and the filter is still depleting during the scene without giving you a chance to do anything about it. Cue a quite funny scene where the NPC is completely oblivious to Artyom suffocating to death behind them, while they are babbling on about whatever and not even wearing a mask themselves. Since the game doesn't have manual saves and chapter select simply put us in the same situation again, we had no choice but to replay the previous chapter. Now that we knew where the level ended we could switch filter before going there but that was some real bad design I have to say.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My partner and I were playing Metro 2033 last week. We were on some boring level where the gasmask was needed and then the level ended quite unexpectedly with a small cutscene.
After the loading screen the first thing that could be heard was the filter warning beep, the one that tells you that you really need to switch out the filter or you will die. The chapter then starts with a long cutscene of Artyom following an NPC, and the filter is still depleting during the scene without giving you a chance to do anything about it. Cue a quite funny scene where the NPC is completely oblivious to Artyom suffocating to death behind them, while they are babbling on about whatever and not even wearing a mask themselves. Since the game doesn't have manual saves and chapter select simply put us in the same situation again, we had no choice but to replay the previous chapter. Now that we knew where the level ended we could switch filter before going there but that was some real bad design I have to say.
Haha, that's fucking hilarious.

"Artyom, you need to pay attention to your surroundings"

*Artyom dying of fucking radiation poisoning in the background*

Oct 27, 2017
Actually had a fairly recent on replaying Reach on pc. I had just got to the portion on sword base where you get the warthog, and managed to launch myself off a cliff just as I hit a checkpoint. Every time I reset, I was still technically on the ground, but there wasn't enough distance between the warthog and the cliff to steer away, brake, or even exit the warthog before it would go launching off the cliff again.

After about ~10 instances I gave up and restarted the level.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
One of the elevators in the Library in Halo glitched on me. I can't remember the exact circumstances, I think it just didn't move for whatever reason. I ended up having to restart the level, which was an annoyance.

I also remember getting caught outside as a vampire in Oblivion. That was probably my fault since the game only auto-saves when you go through doors so should generally auto-save near a building, so I must have saved the game myself. The result, anyway, was being stuck in the open in the middle of nowhere with a rapidly-depleting health bar, running in a direction to try to find any kind of shelter from the sunlight, failing, reloading, and starting that again. Thankfully, nowhere in Oblivion is all that far from something, so I did manage to rescue that save after a few attempts.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I made an awful quicksave in Max Payne back in the day that occurred literally milliseconds before an enemy unloaded a shotgun into me. Queue dozens of attempts to reload and move out of the way while a friend watched on in hysterics.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
While that wasn't necessarily one of the worst in terms of gameplay ramifications, it was certainly THE. MOST. ANNOYING. I've ever experienced.

While that juice section is pretty infamous, it really is just a challenging section/checkpoint, but there's nothing really special about it. The final bossfight on Gears 1 was way more annoying (on the highest difficulty anyway)

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Brutal mode in the Uncharted Series is untested garbage. They just crank up the damage and call it a day. This leads to several insta-death moments you can only survive if you get lucky and the AI misses.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Arc the Lad 2. You can't exit the final dungeon, so my save at the start of that dungeon locked me into a situation where my party couldn't beat the final boss but couldn't go back to grind either.

I've complained before about this and to be fair I've had it explained I might be wrong and actually can progress (yet to try it) but in the GameCube Fire Emblem I think I missed a vital upgrade to Ike so now late game I can't beat the black knight.

The people who explained it to you previously were right -- in Path of Radiance beating the Black Knight is optional. To advance the game you just have to survive a set number of turns. As a matter of fact, even if you have Ike properly leveled, it's still possible to get bad luck on skill procs and run out of time before you beat the Black Knight.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Spartan: Total Warrior

Checkpoint right before a boss, only had enough health to get hit once. Took me like 2 weeks of frustrated attempts to beat the boss. Then I finished the game purely out of spite.

It still pisses me off like 15 years later.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
last boss of.. red faction or red faction 2 i can't remember but i accidently saved at a spot where i had a sliver of health while being shot at.. so whenever i'd load i'd just die. never did finish the game

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO. Why would anyone subject themselves to this?

on higher difficulties the uncharted games are genuinley some of the most difficult games i have ever played. They arent balanced properly for the high difficulty and the short ttk so more often then not it leads to scenarios like that

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Final fantasy 10 and that fucking dragon boss when your on an airship. I think i had gone in with no healing items and the autosave got me stuck in an unwinnable fight. never did go back to it after that.
Ff10 does not autosave you into spots you could reload a manual save at the airship and buy items

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah this used to happen a lot to me too in Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 veteran.
There was always a time in those games in which you would be stuck in a loop because of a damn grenade that is just about to explode. It had to happen at least once to you in every game.
Downfall on Veteran was one of the worst experiences of my gaming life.

WAW was the iing of this, espcially downfall. Inhave never seen so many grenade icons in my life. Clearly the axis powers focused there entire military production on equipping every soldier with atleast 17 grenades

was that the original metro or the redux, because the original is buggy as fuck

can someone explain what actually happens here and why it's so infamous
From what i understand its a super hard boss fight and stupid difficulty spike. But if you save before hand theres no way to back out and grind or do anything else. Your just stuck im that fight and loose all your progress

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
was that the original metro or the redux, because the original is buggy as fuck
Redux!
A checkpoint in the middle of the boring chapter before the filter issue thing was also really dumb. After a small scene it put us in the arms of a big enemy. Took about four or five tries to not be hurt by it so it wasn't too bad, but it felt so dumb to have a checkpoint at that moment. We have not played more since we got back to the chapter we had the filter issue in because this whole thing killed all momentum.

Nov 17, 2017
XBX was pretty bad about that kinda stuff.

Like if you started up a sidequest or something, you HAD to complete it before you could try and do anything else.
(And it didn't help that some of them require stupidly rare drops from enemies.)

So if you saved right after accepting a sidequest, you could end up screwing yourself for a bit.
That's not quite right. Only affinity missions and story missions "lock" you in. Regular sidequests can be accepted and completed at any time. Like you can have an active affinity mission and still do sidequests and access other things. The only things story and affinity missions lock you out of is OTHER story and affinity missions (they also lock in required party members for said mission). So you don't really end up in a situation where you are stuck at a boss and can't go grind elsewhere.

And to be fair, all of those missions always popped up a window warning you of exactly this so if you saved your game immediately after accepting instead of immediately before, that's more on you than the game. The final boss even has the typical "once we go in, we can't come back" cutscene right before you enter.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Mass Effect 1 there's a checkpoint right before a 3 minute long unskippable cutscene before the fight with the Krogan mercenary in the mine to save Liara.

The fight itself is extremely unbalanced and I died about 30 times and every single time I had to sit through that goddamn cutscene. I almost gave up. Issues like that are why I rank Mass Effect 2 above 1, even though 1 has a great story, world building, aesthetic, characters, and an amazing soundtrack, it's just really unbalanced and clunky at times and can be super frustrating.
This, and it doesn't help that the Krogan almost always targets Shepard and he can easily take you out in seconds if you don't take him out first.

Goes to show just how scary Krogan enemies are in 1 compared to the other games.

Faith

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got a checkpoint on one of the levels in Call of Duty classic as I was being shot at on veteran difficulty and it resulted in an infinite death loop, had no choice but to restart the level.

Those Uncharted brutal difficulty videos are hilarious, like how is that even fun to play?

King_Britain

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ff10 does not autosave you into spots you could reload a manual save at the airship and buy items

Hmm, I distinctly remember getting stuck in a loop where I didn't have enough healing against that boss and a load didn't take me far enough back to get items so maybe it was a manual save fuck up by me.

It angered me so much I never went back which was especially annoying as I was loving the game until that moment.

May 16, 2018
Final fantasy 10 and that fucking dragon boss when your on an airship. I think i had gone in with no healing items and the autosave got me stuck in an unwinnable fight. never did go back to it after that.

What makes this even worse is that you have to fight a series of dangerous fights afterwards without saving. You face several rounds of a new enemy type that can literally "kick" party members from the fight, quickly ending you. It was a pretty serious misstep imo, extremely frustratint ladder of battles after am already lengthy boss

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Not mine, but a friend's:

He was playing Skyrim for the first time (I was watching), and he was doing the intro sequence. He had gotten to the point where you decide to go with Hadvar or Ralof, and he proceeded into Helgen Keep. However, Alduin torched him just before he went inside, causing him to start burning. When he loaded into the keep, he was still burning, and died in a second. The autosave would reload and kill him again instantly. After a couple of seconds (and as many deaths), we realized he would have to restart the game. He only lost about 5 minutes of progress, but it was a funny intro to Skyrim.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Look at all that juice.
Look at all that juice.
Look at all that juice.

OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I tried FFT a few years ago and couldn't get past the second fight in the game. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, I just kept dying.
Did you make the same mistake I did when growing up and not realize you use the shoulder buttons to add other party members to the battle? I beat my head against the wall trying that second fight with just Delita and Ramza, lol.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics is a strategy game where you're given control of a whole squad of dudes and you can only save between battles. If you wind up in a fight that's too much for you, it's possible to reload the save and pick a different fight instead. Maybe you can run around the world map for a bit, fight a few random battles, and retry the story mission when you're stronger. Very friendly.

The fight in the screenshot is the Wiegraf fight. It's special in a few ways. The big thing is it's the first time you're restricted to your main character and no one else. And Wiegraf is pretty tough! So if your character doesn't have the right skills or items to get through the fight, there's simply no way to win. Normally that wouldn't be a problem. Just go back to the world map and grind for more XP, right? Nope! The Wiegraf fight is also the second part of the game's first two-part battle. Even if you reload the save, there's no way to quit to the world map!

NOT ONLY THAT: This is on the PlayStation 1 which had a ridiculously small memory card. There's a very good chance that you've simply been overwriting your save between missions. So if you did that before the Wiegraf fight and you don't have a good skill set, you're fucked. Gotta start the whole game over.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This is a battle in a series of battles.

Usually you do 1 battle and then go back to the map screen.

In this one, there is like 2 battles back to back, culminating in this one.

The problem is that after each battle, you can save.
If you saved before this, there is LITERALLY no way to flee or go back to the world map to level up, buy equipment, whatever.

So now you are stuck in this boss battle with this huge difficulty spike.

You legit can get fucked here. Like, your whole save is fucked kinda fucked.

Yes, it happened to me. My main character was woefully unprepared for this fight.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Hmm, I distinctly remember getting stuck in a loop where I didn't have enough healing against that boss and a load didn't take me far enough back to get items so maybe it was a manual save fuck up by me.

It angered me so much I never went back which was especially annoying as I was loving the game until that moment.
it should have always let you reload from within the airship which their is a guy that sells healing items but you can still get screwed over if you are underleveled as their is no way to grind.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Near the end of Metro 2033 you have to go through a dangerous outdoors section at night. You need a gas mask outdoors. Gas masks can be cracked, which means gas gets in your face and slowly kills you while obscuring your vision.

You guessed it: autosave right after a fight cracked my mask. I'm dying, there's gas in my face, and there are no lights so I can't see shit. Somewhere, somehow, I have to find a new gas mask nearby before I choke to death.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Castlevania Lords of Shadow, the first Lord boss fight. The game decided to put me right at the start of the fight with a sliver of life.

Supposedly you can quit the game or something and start from the world map or some sh*t which will put you at full health but I had no idea so I took the long way of basically winning the fight without being touched.