• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best DS console model

• Original big block DS

Votes: 46 3.8%
  • DS Lite

Votes: 429 35.2%
  • DSi or DSi XL

Votes: 236 19.4%
  • 3DS original including the XL

Votes: 46 3.8%
  • 2DS including the XL

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • New 3DS regular and XL.

Votes: 408 33.5%

• Total voters

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never bothered to get any other DS centric model beyond Lite because it served all my needs and it was compact. And it had a gba slot.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
DS Lite because it's the best way to play GBA games and the second best way to play DS games.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i don't feel like putting the 3DS here is good since you'd need additional questions to determine the best model.

if you only play DS games, the best model is the DSi XL but if you also play 3DS games it's the New 3DS XL.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Tried Advance Wars: Days of Ruin on my Lite, DSi XL and New 3DS XL.

Lite: small but sharp, colors pop nicely though the bottom screen had a distinctive sepia hue which looked a bit off in the startup menu. Could just be old age, I dunno.
DSi XL: not as sharp as the Lite, but still very crispy. Colors are a bit duller, but nothing egregious. Arguably more comfortable on the eyes simply because the larger screens make everything easier to see.
New 3DS XL: hey who smeared wax all over the screens?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
My pick would be New 2DS XL, despite having the absolute worst name for any gaming device in history.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The ol' gray brick, the original DS is the best.

It was big and very comfortable to hold, and the screens had no ghosting at all from what I remember (which was a very annoying problem when I got my DSi).

Second best is the DSi XL. Big, beautiful screens.

The 3DS, on the other hand, it's a closer race... I think the New 3DS XL is my pick because it has the most features, but the New 2DS XL is a little better looking/designed and better feeling.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Although the OG 3DS is in last place like it probably deserves, I must say that I do like its telescoping stylus

Oct 28, 2017
For me, the DS Lite with GBA slots early on and the new 3DS (no XL) during the last few years before the Switch came out. Absolutely pumped so much time into every model of this console but those two are the best in my opinion, hinge issues aside.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
2DS excluding the XL. Just the regular-ass 2DS. Strictly because of form factor.

996px-Nintendo-2DS-angle.jpg

Does it have the "New" features? Nope. Is it pretty? Hell naw. But that slab is damn comfy in the hands. The ideal way to play Kid Icarus, for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
DS Lite for the FF/DQ remakes and Chrono Trigger, everything else is played on the N3DS XL. The Lite is ergonomically better for longer sessions but I tend to gravitate towards the bigger screen and better hardware for the rest of my library.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
DSi chalky texture was neat but I didn't like how it wore down. New 3DS probably gets my vote for best.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I still use my DS lite today, even though I have a new 3DS (second favorite) GBA slot is very nice to have and it holds up extremely well

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think in this case it makes no sense to put the XL and regular models together. The New 3DS XL was fine, but the sharper, colorful buttons, swappable faceplate regular New 3DS shat all over it. Probably helps that it coincidentally has the best screens on a DS model I've ever owned.

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned all of the them, some multiple times.

I only got a DSi XL, however, way after the fact—just a couple years ago—and it spawned a whole new wave of playing DS games for me. Just looking at it made me want to play.

If you want it exclusively for playing DS games, I'd definitely go with the DSi XL.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
As a DS Lite user that used the console a LOT back then... I don't get how you vote that with that shitty d-pad, it's a diagonal input hell :/

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If they put the Lite buttons in the DSi XL, the DSi XL would be the best. As is, the Lite takes a close win.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
I'd say the Lite. I know a lot of people really like the tactile buttons and the screens on the DSi but the Lite just feels better to me. Maybe it's a weight distribution thing, I'm not sure. It could just be a nostalgia thing as my main DS growing up was the Lite.

3DS-wise, though, I'm 100% in the New 3DS XL camp. I think at this point I've owned every single 3DS model since they came out and after nine years of switching around and debating I've finally settled on the New XL and I'm extremely happy with it. Those screens are incredible.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
As a DS Lite user that used the console a LOT back then... I don't get how you vote that with that shitty d-pad, it's a diagonal input hell :/

Yup, my brother and I both got DS Lites early on, and diagonals always really sucked.

Here's a weird anecdote, though. Years later, though, our younger sibling got a late-era metallic pink one and the D-pad felt much better. I still keep it packed away because it's very nice to use.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
New 3DS XL for me.

My only complaint about the design is that putting the headphone socket on the bottom rather than either of the sides or on the top near the charging port was a bad decision.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I already voted regular New 3DS, but I would like to defend the OG fat model. Never had any complaints. It's actually the only DS model I ever bought. Sure, it isn't the prettiest thing, but it's very functional. All the buttons still feel good (it's right next to me even today), the pixels are crisp, it's comfortable to hold, and unlike the one I picked, the stylus slot isn't stupidly placed at the bottom nor has it totally worn out so you worry about losing the stylus if you put it in a bag. And it still has GBA BC. It's a workhorse. As in, I literally used it for work 8 hours a day as a tester and never had any issues and still don't. It also wears better than some of the 3DS models. Some of the exteriors on the 3DS are pure garbage. I don't have enough experience with the DS models to compare.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
DSi XL for DS games. Larger screens are nice and format is more comfortable to hold.

New3DS XL for 3DS. Same reasons as DSi XL. Plus it's snappier in menus, some games and there is a handful of exclusive titles.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The DSi XL was the best in terms of form factor, aesthetics, and button feel.

Though Nintendo handheld design peaked with the Gameboy Micro

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
For DS games, I'd say I like the DS lite the most.

I still wanna try and get a New 3DS (non-XL) sometime for 3DS games. I think I'd like that size more and I already have some faceplates for it lol (the kanji ones, the black Triforce ones, and... something else I can't remember right now).

As for the DSi models? I can only think of one DS game that uses the GBA port, and I don't really care about Guitar Hero, but I still don't like that there is a DS game (at least one) that you simply cannot play on the DSi (Oh yeah, and the Dawn of Sorrow/Aria of Sorrow unlock or whatever, too).

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
It doesnt matter how ergonomically worse the DS Lite feels than the newer models

Additional GBA Library makes it win by default