• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the GOAT Cyberpunk movie?

• Blade Runner

Votes: 883 56.7%
  • Akira

Votes: 116 7.5%
  • Ghost In The Shell

Votes: 182 11.7%
  • Robocop

Votes: 66 4.2%
  • Strange Days

Votes: 30 1.9%
  • Johnny Mnemonic

Votes: 35 2.2%
  • The Matrix

Votes: 244 15.7%

• Total voters

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I see Blade Runner is winning, as expected.

Looking through the list for movies to watch and, like, did Strange Days never get a US blu-ray release? Seems like the only way to watch it would be to import it and then rip it with MakeMKV OR settle for the dvd.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see Blade Runner is winning, as expected.

Looking through the list for movies to watch and, like, did Strange Days never get a US blu-ray release? Seems like the only way to watch it would be to import it and then rip it with MakeMKV OR settle for the dvd.

It makes me sad. :(

Even streaming licenses seem weird; the brief time we had it in Canada, it was the French Canadian version.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Akira is cyberpunk? I never thought of it that way. Especially the manga cuts out any cyber aspects there could have been halfway into the story.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Akira favorite movie from the list but not a Cyberpunk one IMO.

Voted The Matrix, re-watched it with the kids a while ago and still enjoyed it a lot.

Disclaimer: still to see BR2049

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly no North American release. Such an underrated film that desperately needs one. Though if you have a region free player, the German release is pretty solid.

With James Cameron being involved, who knows when we'll get one. Almost nothing produced by his Lightstorm company has a definitive blu-ray release (and some like True Lies or The Abyss have never gotten one). Just doesn't seem to be of much interest to Cameron.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Escape from NY? LA?
They both looked and felt cyberpunk to me. What genre are they considered?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So, like, are there hard rules against sharing a movie here cause I'm legit thinking of just importing Strange Days, ripping it so I can watch it, and maybe share it.

>.>

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's legal for you to upload it, but illegal for us to download it.
I have the North American region DVD of that movie, since there wasn't a Blu-Ray release over here and it's horrible. The movie is awesome; but the quality of the DVD is horrible. It's encoded to the disk in a bizarre fashion that gives it black bars on all sides of the screen and if you stretch it or try to correct it to where it has the normal black bars, it squishes the image.

It's just abysmal and I really hope they get a decent release over here soon.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I have the North American region DVD of that movie, since there wasn't a Blu-Ray release over here and it's horrible. The movie is awesome; but the quality of the DVD is horrible. It's encoded to the disk in a bizarre fashion that gives it black bars on all sides of the screen and if you stretch it or try to correct it to where it has the normal black bars, it squishes the image.

It's just abysmal and I really hope they get a decent release over here soon.

Ah, sucks. Here (the Netherlands) I've got this one:

550x654.jpg

This also included the 3 hour long making of documentary. This doc also features the main actors and production crew (even Ridley himself). I'm currently in the middle of watching it, it's very informative. The making of this movie sure wasn't a walk in the park!

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Ah, sucks. Here (the Netherlands) I've got this one:

550x654.jpg

This also included the 3 hour long making of documentary. This doc also features the main actors and production crew (even Ridley himself). I'm currently in the middle of watching it, it's very informative. The making of this movie sure wasn't a walk in the park!
Lol - I was talking about Strange DaysšŸ˜…

I have every edition of Blade Runner ever released and the 4K is absolutely stunning!!

It is the best reference-quality 4K I've seen to date.

The Dangerous Days documentary is incredible - enjoy!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Akira is cyberpunk? I never thought of it that way. Especially the manga cuts out any cyber aspects there could have been halfway into the story.
It's cyberpunk in aesthetic, but I agree, I'm not quite sure it works in terms of themes.

I guess Testuso has transhumanist attributes as his body starts incorporating wires and metal to replace the body parts he's lost.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Lol - I was talking about Strange DaysšŸ˜…

I have every edition of Blade Runner ever released and the 4K is absolutely stunning!!

It is the best reference-quality 4K I've seen to date.

The Dangerous Days documentary is incredible - enjoy!

haha oops... I feel dumb now.

Strange Days is awesome though. That opening scene blew me away. The sexual assault scene is still too fucked up though, can't watch it. Almost Irreversible levels.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Blade Runner is weird since computers are basically non-existent in the original movie outside of the weird CSI enhancing scene.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Honestly though, was Blade Runner really the first movie with the golden combo rain/neon/smoke/night?

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It looks like Blade Runner is the hands-down winner so far.

While I agree with the poll results as they stand today; I was honestly expecting The Matrix to fare much betteršŸ¤”

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Blade Runner isn't really cyberpunk, strictly speaking. The "punk" part requires a protagonist pushing back against the corporate powers, and while the Nexus 6 characters do that, Deckard doesn't, really, and is more a part of the system until his battle with Roy. It defined the aesthetic but it's a fairly weak example of cyberpunk as a genre of storytelling. Blade Runner is more of a neo-noir.

Blade Runner defined the aesthetic, but Ghost in the Shell I feel embodies the philosophy.

GitS is arguably not cyberpunk, either. It uses the window dressing but, like Blade Runner, its protagonist is the system, not fighting it. Eventually she leaves the system but that's not really the same thing. Cyberpunk is more than an aesthetic choice, unlike steampunk.

Also GITS is an incredibly simplistic and juvenile film, and the sequel is vastly superior.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about Virtuosity so I watched it.

Boy...

People are tripping over each other to shoot at the black guy completely ignoring the white mass murderer.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The original Blade Runner. The sequel isn't as gripping to me, and Ghost in the Shell (anime TV series) is probably a close second. Blade Runner 2049 is a third, and likely second if we're only counting movies.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I voted Johnny Mnemonic since it really delivers that 80s-90s Cyberpunk vibe. That said, Blade Runner deserves the win, but its more dystopia for me vs Cyberpunk. You got to have some hacking in Cyberpunk!

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Johnny Mnemonic I think truly embodies what Cyberpunk is.

I will say that the film Fallen Angels actually has a real cyberpunk aesthetic or feel even if it doesn't have anything to do with cyberpunk.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I think Ghost in the Shell is the film with the most pertinent outlook or take on AI and trans humanism as it relates to our reality. The atomized individual artificial humans of Blade Runner aren't really relevant to the direction AI is heading in reality, even though they're great films.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Blade Runner/2049.

Nothing else even comes close for me. That is my definition of Cyberpunk.