• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the GOAT Cyberpunk movie?

• Blade Runner

Votes: 883 56.7%
  • Akira

Votes: 116 7.5%
  • Ghost In The Shell

Votes: 182 11.7%
  • Robocop

Votes: 66 4.2%
  • Strange Days

Votes: 30 1.9%
  • Johnny Mnemonic

Votes: 35 2.2%
  • The Matrix

Votes: 244 15.7%

• Total voters

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
In that sense, I would have thought the biological experimentation to create human WMDs would be the cyber part of Akira.
Sure, if you want to look at it that way you can but to me that train thought can easily lead to just about any sci-fi film with any type of advanced technology qualifying. Is Star Wars not about a bunch of scrappy underdogs in a dystopian sci-fi setting trying to stop a WMD?
What is going in Akira has more in common with a monster movie than anything else, I think, with Kaneda and Tetsuo being thrust into this mad science plot. The 'cyber'(advanced tech) and the 'punk'(the characters as outsiders and their relationship to society) are there but only on the periphery, they aren't the things that make the story engine go.
The characters exist in a word where a Cyberpunk story could be happening right around the corner(and might be if the story was focused on the resistance movement Kei was a part of) but it isn't the story they are in.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner still hasn't been topped.

Something so influential and trendsetting will probably never be topped.

The Matrix is good for second place.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The two Blade Runner movies are basically what cyberpunk is all about but I'm going to go with Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
The Matrix and Blade Runeer: 2049

Not a fan of the original Blade Runner and I've watched Ghost in the Shell twice and didn't understand all the fuss, it was alright.

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Blade runner 2049 is a better movie in almost all aspects but withouth the original there is nothing so Blade runner.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Blade Runner is the obvious choice because of its iconic aesthetic, but hell, I really loved Strange Days and completely forgot about that movie so it gets my vote. :P

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's bladerunner 1 & 2, but RoboCop is highly overlooked in this regard. Paul Verhoeven had a lot of interesting not bladerunner takes on the genre.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
@every post ITT

giphy.gif

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner is cyberpunk. Honourable mentions to Matrix, Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

No. Neuromancer is cyberpunk. Blade Runner is an extremely influential piece of cyberpunk media. Though it's honestly more noir than anything.

BR 2049 is the best movie. BR is the most important.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Blade Runner 2049. Yeah, it's better than the original, bite my origami unicorn.

No. Neuromancer is cyberpunk. Blade Runner is an extremely influential piece of cyberpunk media. Though it's honestly more noir than anything.

BR 2049 is the best movie. BR is the most important.

Blade Runner predates Neuromancer, so I'm not sure what you're even getting at here. Even Gibson said he saw Blade Runner and despaired because what he was writing felt redundant to it, but pressed on anyway.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Here's a really cool small documentary type video on cyberpunk if anyone wants to watch it.

youtu.be

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Akira

Let’s take a journey back to the 1980’s and beyond, to discover the origins of the Cyberpunk movement, in literature, cinema, television, video games, comics...
Parts 2 & 3 are coming this year as well👍
Blade Runner still hasn't been topped.

Something so influential and trendsetting will probably never be topped.
Agreed.
The two Blade Runner movies are basically what cyberpunk is all about but I'm going to go with Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.
Good choice!
From the list Robocop by far.

Should of added Dredd.
It's on my poster in the OP👍

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner 2049. Yeah, it's better than the original, bite my origami unicorn.

Blade Runner predates Neuromancer, so I'm not sure what you're even getting at here. Even Gibson said he saw Blade Runner and despaired because what he was writing felt redundant to it, but pressed on anyway.

Neuromancer is the originator of the genre. Blade Runner exerts a justifiably heavy influence on the visual identy of the genre. Yes, it came out a bit before (novels take time, you know). But neither one is because of the other.

Blade Runner has elements of cyberpunk, but it is more noir than cyberpunk. Neuromancer is the cyberpunk Bible. If all we had was Blade Runner and no Neuromancer, things would be a lot different than the reverse.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
If you gotta go with MOVIE only then nothing tops MATRIX for me. It blew my mind in the theaters and is still amazing if not a little cheezy now since everything aped it.

BUT the greatest cyberpunk if were talking series and movies is hands down Ghost in the shell. NOTHING beats it in terms of world building and everything i imagine a cyberpunk universe would be. 1st and 2nd gig and movies are the greatest. At least IMO. Bladerunner 2049 is close though.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I didn't really like it (need to rewatch it) I'd have to say BR2049 is probably it. It checks all the right boxes aesthetically, tonally, and narratively.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

But Neuromancer is the definitive foundation of "cyberpunk". Both Electric Sheep (the book) and Blade Runner are Sci Fi Noir while Neuromancer defined both the cyber and punk parts of cyberpunk, which BR and Electric Sheep have neither of. I say this as a massive fan of PKD. He is my favorite writer, let alone sci fi writer. That said, Neuromancer IS cyberpunk.

Edit: again this is why I say Johnny Mnemonic because it's a definitive character and story from the definitive creator of the cyberpunk genre, Gibson.

If we argue best as in best movie that could be classified Cyberpunk, that's too subjective to ever find. If it's "The most cyberpunk movie" than Johnny Mnemonic wins hands down.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
2nd most Cyberpunk movie is The Matrix with punk hackers diving into a virtual world wearing trench coats. Even starring the original Johnny Mnemonic.

I want to choose GiTS for how it may be the best diving into the nature of consciousness and a virtual world but it lacks the punk part for the most part. More cyber cop than punk, even though the major herself is pretty punk.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2049 is a masterful movie, and I love its exploration of a lot of the central themes of the genre.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Seems weird that Johnny Mnemonic is getting so little love considering it is based on a book literally written by the man who created the Cyberpunk genre.

It has:
  • Cybernetic implants
  • Dystopian future where corporations have strong control
  • Brain hacking (lol)
  • Cyberspace
  • and the staple Asian influence

Last edited:

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
In my head, the only one I consider cyberpunk is Blade runner. Cyberpunk to me is more something like Shadowrun or cyberpunk 2077 or Gunm. A technological dystopia in a urban environment basically. We need good cyberpunk movies, there are so few.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Because Blade Runner/2049 are associative enough and are easily the best films in the poll.

It's probably fair to say that Blade Runner/2049 are the best films containing Cyberpunk elements alright - but I'd say (even if it's not a great movie) that Johnny Mnemonic is more "cyberpunk" than both.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
BTW, while both of these are Very Dumb Movies, I would say that Total Recall and The Running Man are also cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk to me is basically what if the 1980s but you can jack in and everything is worse.
The Running Man feels like perfect Cyberpunk entertainment. That was my vote.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
Had to go with Blade Runner. It's the giant upon whose shoulders all the others stand.

Nice to see love for Cyber City Oedo 808 in here. The last episode especially gave me strong Neuromancer vibes.