• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Is a vampire a beast? If so, I vote vampire. If not, I vote werewolf. First ones that sprung to mind.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not ubiquitous across cultures now, but across time, the Sphinx was dominant for like three thousand years! Unicorns are a flash in the pan by comparison.

1024px-Great_Sphinx_of_Giza_May_2015.JPG

I think the Phoenix deserves some consideration since it spans both the East and West, as well. The Yeti/Bigfoot/Wendigo also deserves some consideration for cultural ubiquity. Same for giants.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This site is so western-centric

But the answer is *insert your favourite messiah*

What's exactly western-centric about Dragons?

They are also highly prominent in Chinese and Japanese mythology as well.

You are probably right about some sort of Deity being up there. I mean in most myths focus on Deities or some sort of Pantheon of Gods, regardless of culture.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I know is not el sacamantecas, but I like to talk about him, is the guy that will come in Spain to kidnap you if you don't behave as a kid. He put you in a bag and eats you starting with your fat.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Giants might even be more ubiquitous than dragons even. I can't really think of a dragon like creature in polynesian myths though I'm sure someone will point out an example I'm unaware of but there are giants for sure.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
my mind went to pheonix, but upon reading the thread yeah it'd be ghosts if we're willing to include those

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vampires maybe? But they aren't "beasts" per se. But maybe we have to differentiate between mythical beasts which are purely fictional like dragons and unicorns, and mythical beasts which belong to cryptozoology, like the Loch Ness monster and Bigfoot. And then you have things that are just vague, but completely universal, like "ghosts" or "giants."

I'd say Dragons is a good #1 seed.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
If vampires count, I'd say they're the coolest. I don't know if succubi count either, but they're cool, too.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix-like stories seem to expand their wings as far as Australian mythology, so.

It definitely gets points for breadth.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was wondering if undead just didnt count or something. I agree some form of reanimated dead has to be up there. Skeletons zombies or vampires

Edit: actually nuts to the reanimation part, the real answer is ghosts or spirits
Pretty sure you were right with first comment. Mythical beasts can be supernatural but should be from folklore and before history was treated as science vs being straight up fictional. Ghosts never seem to be included because they're not a specific beast merely spirits of people and in same vein, Vampire's etc. don't get counted too I'm pretty sure.

Of course they vary from culture to culture. Dragons (in some form) do seem fairly common as do Unicorns and a few others.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting horror creatures, it's definitely ghosts

If we're sticking to fantasy, it's giants & fairies

Actually, you can just play the "What shows up in Zelda?" game

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

You are probably right about some sort of Deity being up there. I mean in most myths focus on Deities or some sort of Pantheon of Gods, regardless of culture.
I've seen it argued creatures in Asian myths have fuck-all to do with western dragons and that westerners just localized them as "dragons" for convenience and very superficial likeness.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, what about Undead in general?

Lots of cultures, I'd venture to even say most, have traditions about burial rites and how the recently deceased should be treated. Some with negative consequences if these traditions are not followed. That includes ghosts and zombie-like creatures.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it argued creatures in Asian myths have fuck-all to do with western dragons and that westerners just localized them as "dragons" for convenience and very superficial likeness.
Greek/Roman dragons were the same as Asian dragons. The western dragon came about because in the Medieval Era (after the fall of the Roman Empire), western Europe didn't have much access to classic literature and basically played the telephone game in regards to dragons. Hence why it got warped into the current depiction of Western Dragons.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another one that we should probably mention is the sea serpent. People actually believed those things were real for quite some time. You had 18th century taxonomy guides describing sea serpents.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Greek/Roman dragons were the same as Asian dragons. The western dragon came about because in the Medieval Era (after the fall of the Roman Empire), western Europe didn't have much access to classic literature and basically played the telephone game in regards to dragons. Hence why it got warped into the current depiction of Western Dragons.

I've read speculation that the digging up of dinosaur fossils helped inspire the image of dragons. I also believe the same was theorized happening for mammoth skeletons which were dug up and assembled in a bipedal fashion and inspired myths of the cyclops.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Werewolf and it's not even close

"Unicorn." Y'all are absolutely mad