• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 5, and now Persona Royal 5: I cannot seem to boot it up. I know it's probably going to be fantastic, but it seems like it's going to be a huge undertaking. Also, I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up (like take the treasure from some place too soon, or not mature a relationship the right way.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I got Civ VI for Switch 2 years ago. Just bought the expansion pass for $20. Still have yet to even play it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Probably the classic CRPGs Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale games. Some other of these long one's are also still in my backlog (like Torment Tides of Numenera, Divinity Original Sin II) but they as modern games are far more accessible and I wouldn't need to familiarize with the D&D rulebook as much. I also have Game Pass titles like Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales on a similair mental list knowing that they will get removed at some point.

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda and Dragon Age Inquisition would have been my answers, but I completed Andromeda at New Year and the Dragon Age main quest yesterday. I have Witcher 3 on 3 platforms (PC, PS4 and X-Box) and have never managed to get into it after finding the first fight too hard, so that'd be my answer.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've had a number over the years, and I usually get to them.

Latest is DQ XI. I purchased it on both PS4 & Switch, and keep meaning to go back. I know I will eventually...I hope. 😁

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
The list is too long to count for me. But my worst offender has to be The Witcher III. I bought it on release, picked up the complete edition, and then bought the boxed edition on the switch thinking the portability would help. Then(!) I went back to the complete edition on the PS4 after realizing I couldn't handle the visual drop on the Switch.

Now that my so is playing the Witcher III right behind me while I work from home, I'm finding myself in a minor bind to finish the game so I don't accidentally turn around and see major spoilers.

Groucho

Aug 21, 2020
For many years, the ones that bothered me the most were RE4, Majora's Mask, and Metroid Prime 2. I just have Prime 2 left to finish, but am holding out hope for a Switch release so I can finally finish it.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Currently RDR2. I bought it at launch on PS4 and then again when it released for Stadia, but I still haven't made it past the third chapter. I promised myself I was going to finish it in 2021H1.

OP
OP
JohnnyMoses

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
The list is too long to count for me. But my worst offender has to be The Witcher III. I bought it on release, picked up the complete edition, and then bought the boxed edition on the switch thinking the portability would help. Then(!) I went back to the complete edition on the PS4 after realizing I couldn't handle the visual drop on the Switch.

Now that my so is playing the Witcher III right behind me while I work from home, I'm finding myself in a minor bind to finish the game so I don't accidentally turn around and see major spoilers.

Witcher III took me three tries before I finally finished it. One time I was 7-8 hours in. It's definitely worth it though!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was Final Fantasy VIII until I finished it back in December. That was a 12 year journey. I've actually done a pretty good job of killing a large chunk of "classic" games in my backlog over the past 18 months or so.

Probably the game I've had the longest in my backlog at this point would be Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. I bought it around 2008/09. Haven't touched it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's quickly turning into Moon, I keep wanting to go back and play it but it's not a game I can casually play with a podcast and need to focus on it so it keeps not happening.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Loads, but if I were going to choose just one it would probably be the first of a series, so that I can get on with the rest. In that case, Uncharted.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 for sure. Love the genre, love the setting, love the aesthetic. Just have never wanted to commit the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IX. I generally love the game and have tried to complete it several times, but it loses me the longer it goes on.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
ffx-2

i've played a decent amount of the beginning but my ps2 died before i could really get into it

and i was getting into it for real! i was enjoying the campiness of it all. also, i really like ffx, so of course i wanna play its direct sequel!

i've started the pc version of the hd remake last year, but have yet to fully commit to it.

second would be witcher 3. i actually bought the complete edition for the ps4 a couple of years back, but i knew it was going to be a helluva time commitment so i put it off. then i got a gaming laptop and proceeded to play through both witcher 1 and 2. now i also have the goty version of witcher 3 on this computer, and i'm just waiting for the right time to jump in for real.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
There are many, but the one I mentally come back to when completing any other game is finally beating Ultima 3: Exodus. I've been wanting to finish that game for about 30 years, but it just kicks my ass every step of the way.

Too many to name TBH. But Shining Force 2 immediately springs to mind.
Oof, I love this game so much. I don't know if it's too late for you, but that game is such a gem.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Oof, I love this game so much. I don't know if it's too late for you, but that game is such a gem.

It's never too late! I've beaten the first one 3-4 time throughout the years, but 2 has always sat there. The Sega Genesis Collection via PS4/Xbox One is a great way to play these games because it has a fast forward & rewind feature. So when it is the enemy turn, you can fast forward instead of slowly watching the AI move a few dozen units as slowly as possible lol.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Witcher III took me three tries before I finally finished it. One time I was 7-8 hours in. It's definitely worth it though!
I absolutely love it. In the time I have attempted to be this game I have:
Finished the book series
Listened to the audio books
Played a gratuitous amount of Gwent
Played Witcher 1 & 2
Read the encyclopedia.
I have no idea how this game has taken me this long. Even now I'm playing through DA: Inquisition and I'm promising myself I'll finish the Witcher after that.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Final Fantasy VI. I've been waiting to play it since the early 2000s. Growing up I had older cousins who were RPG fans and grew up on the SNES, they told me it was their favorite game ever made. I always read in gaming magazines around that time that it was basically the crowning jewel of the SNES's JRPG catalog, the best of the best. I had played Final Fantasy IV and later V and they were both games I really liked. I wanted to wait for just the right opportunity to play it. It got a release on the GBA, but I always read that version had its soundtrack neutered, so I decided to wait for a later release.

Finally, in 2011, it got released on the Wii Virtual Console, and was basically 100% perfect emulation of the SNES version. Finally this was my chance to play this game. I waited until December and set aside three weeks where I was going to finally play this game from start to finish. I went out to GameStop, bought a Wii Points card, and came home with it after dinner. Then, I made a fatal mistake: I scratched the code off. I've never done this before or since. I was able to call up Nintendo Support, provide them proof of my card, and give them my Wii's serial number so they could load the 2000 points directly onto the console. It took over a week for this to happen and by the time it did I was already in the middle of some other game.

I did buy the game on my Wii and it's still sitting there, unplayed. I don't think I bought the game until like 2014 or something since I totally forgot they ever loaded the points on there. Once I did I've been waiting for the right time to play the game. In like 2014 I was horribly depressed and not really in the mood for an experience that was awaiting me for so long, and ever since then I've just been waiting for the right moment. Maybe sometime this year. The funny thing is, in the time since I've waited, it feels like popular opinion has shifted to Chrono Trigger being The Best SNES JRPG Ever Made, which was the other game I bought with those 2000 points.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Dead Space, got it on PS3 played a bit of it and dropped it early at the game, I also have it on PC (which I got for free on Origin) and boot it up a couple of times but always seems to drop it within an hour. I honestly don't know why, I like the genre, I bought the second game when it was on sale on PC 7 years ago, and got the third when they gave it as part of the Plus collection at some point and was planning on playing and finish them all back then but I dunno what happened

Same with DMC4, except that I spent more time on it and actually bought it 3 times, on PS3, PC and PS4, which reminds me that I can play it on PS5; I might go back for it at some point

Oct 27, 2017
Right now it's Nioh 2...about 50 hours in and only just over halfway through, although I've been doing every side mission as I come across them lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy XII. Played 16 hours of it at launch on PS2 but then got married and so it got shelved for a long while and by the time I got back to gaming we were well into the PS3/360 era. Then got the remaster on PC but never got too far into it, maybe 7 or 8 hours. One day...

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Legend of Dragoon.
Reached pretty far into the game mutiple times but never beat it, now it's far too slow for me to want to play it again, if it was a tad faster I feel I can finish one day.

I enjoyed my time with it, but I dropped it when I couldn't figure what to do in the area with the jail cell where the big guy made a hole when teleported. I kept getting caught and thrown there

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So many but the one that comes to mind right now is Persona 4. Bought it on PS2 and never played it. Bought it on PC recently and still haven't played it. I did put 50 hours into Persona 3 so I know I like the series enough but some other game always gets in the way. This year though for sure...maybe.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja.

I am a massive fan of the 3d games and played the shit out of the first 2 in particular.

I made it to the jungle level (level 7 or 8?) on Master Ninja back in the day but dropped it for something else as it was getting frustrating and just never went back.

I did play it to completion on Warrior difficulty when it became backwards compatible but just never had the motivation to put myself through the ordeal of Master Ninja difficulty.

It leaves Gamepass soon or maybe it already has so if I do want to finally conquer this particular demon then I will have to look out my disc copy.

I know I can do it, I just don't know if I can be arsed

Last edited:

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I'm working on it right now: Resident Evil Remake. I bought this at launch on GameCube. Looks like I'll finally beat it on Switch. For the record, I somehow have a copy for: GameCube (still), PC, Xbox One, PS4, and Switch. Kind of shameful.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Dragons Dogma, I love everything about the concept of the game but my play throughs always falls apart not too far in.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
It's never too late! I've beaten the first one 3-4 time throughout the years, but 2 has always sat there. The Sega Genesis Collection via PS4/Xbox One is a great way to play these games because it has a fast forward & rewind feature. So when it is the enemy turn, you can fast forward instead of slowly watching the AI move a few dozen units as slowly as possible lol.
Good point! I've never gotten more than a few battles into Shining Force 1, but I'd never considered using the fast forward feature to skip through the AI turns. I might actually do this now thanks to you!

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Pillars of Eternity and Planescape: Torment. I've tried like two or three times to play these damn game and I just can't stick with them. It's just the isometric style that kills me. It removed right from the experience.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

All I hear is how it's one of the all-time greats, but I struggle to stick with it and by the time I get back to it I feel like I gotta start over.

I own 3 copies lol

Last edited:

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Until last year it was Lost Odyssey. I bought it in 2011, got to the first boss (the bird on the mountain), then it kept crashing in the area shortly after that so I eventually gave up (the discs for the game are terrible). In 2015 once it was added to digital BC on the Xbox One I gave it another shot, started over and ended up finishing the first disc before getting distracted away (I got to Tosca, at about 16 hours played). So when covid hit I resolved to finally do it. Ended up finishing at about 80 hours and 1k'ing the game (thank god for the improved loading speeds on the X1). It took a bit to get into the swing of things (picking up an old rpg save so far in is rough) but damn that's a great game that I'm glad I finally knocked out.

Nov 26, 2019
Chrono Trigger. I love JRPGs, I love Final Fantasy, I love Dragon Quest. And yet I still haven't played this one. I'm sure I'll adore it. There's almost a part of me that's savoring the first time experience and delaying it, as weird as that sounds.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I want to know how it ends but that game is waaaay too long. Looked it up and I'm only halfway. Maybe one day I'll have the patience to go back in.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
SOMA

I wish I could continue where I left off with the safe mode on, but unfortunately that's not possible, and I don't want to start all over from the beginning.

I just find the run and hide segments frustrating and diluting the atmosphere. After trying to get past a section few times it just becomes tedious, and the feel of dread is gone. Too bad that stands in the way of experiencing the story.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Fallout: New Vegas. Gotten about twenty hours in multiple times but I just can't get past how ugly and clunky it is (vanilla. Not a big fan of mods on a first playthrough).

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Kingdom come: Deliverance, fantastic game, probably only really let down by the combat for me, it was a bit janky too. Overall though it is such a good game without using any gimmicks and it is nice to play that style of game without any fantasy elements

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Digimon Cyber Sleuth combo... I have it there, I like the gameplay but I have been grinding other faster to beat type of games and I get distracted easily.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII. It's the only numbered FF I haven't finished, but it's just so bad. I want to finish it to "complete the set" but mannnn, it's such a chore.

Next time I play it, I'm not starting from scratch again like I have 3 times. Who cares if I'm confused, I probably would be anyway.

Granholme

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny TTK - have reached the age where no one I know still plays video games, playing with random holds zero appeal & the Xbox playerbase has probably all jumped to D2