• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lately I have been thinking about this a lot, because seems like I always want more. But I want the feel of satisfaction. But in this social media age, where you see your friends, relatives, colleague buying expensive cars, house, getting marrieds, going on lavish vacations constantly reminds you of you need to match up or how far behind you are in life comparatively. I feel like this, even though I have a stable job and good career yet I don't feel I am successful enough at times.

My own theory to avoid all this is obviously limit the use of social media and not to compare my life with what I see in other's pictures. But it does raise a question in my mind that am I successful enough? What do you guys do to remind yourself that you are successful.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I can call my friends on their birthday and they get actually happy that i called them

Or in their birthday? Not sure.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Success needs to be measured in the one thing we all agree on: money. People can say they're successful or rich in integrity but that just gets them through the day while true success gets you through the decades.

Oct 25, 2017
In my case, making my partner happy and having enough time to play videogames and play with my dogs.

Status and what people think about me are irrelevant to me, also the less I have to work the better.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
The ability to travel, the number of places I've been to, the things I've gotten to see and the trails I've been able to walk.

More important to me than a fancy car or big house. But I'm not ignorant of the fact that it still boils down to and is a function of "lots of money"

Oct 27, 2017
Being happy, whatever that may mean to the individual. For me, it's being with my wife and waking up next to her everyday. Even during our hardest times, I consider my life a success because of her. I could make $0 a year or $1 billion a year and I wouldn't consider myself any more and any less of a success as long as we have each other.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
not having to worry about money

and I mean "i can pay all my bills and go to a pub with my friends without worrying" not "I can buy a second boat this month"

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I think it's whatever makes you happy. Super vague but everyone has something different that makes them feel successful. For a lot of people it's money and what money brings. For other's it's family and being able to spend every free time with them. For more it's being able to relax more than work. For more it's simply being able to play video games daily.

I think if you find what makes you the most happy from the array of things out there and go for that; you can measure your OWN sense of being successful. If it's a fancy car, work for that and feel successful when you get it. If it's traveling, work to save up for that trip and feel successful when you do that.

Oct 25, 2017
Success needs to be measured in the one thing we all agree on: money. People can say they're successful or rich in integrity but that just gets them through the day while true success gets you through the decades.

Money is cool, but I'd never measure my success over how much money I have.

For me it's all about happiness, and as someone that has money to do whatever I want I can easily say that money doesn't mean much to me, it helps? Of course, but I couldn't care less about making more, and if I did I'd probably just give it all to my partner.

I was offered a job position that paid double what I earned but I'd have to spend less time with my partner, and I declined said offer, for me success is having enough money to do whatever you want to do, so in my case I'm already successful.

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, it is to die knowing that I was true to my nature. That I played the part well.
On the other hand, to die with a minimum of suffering and maximum of comfort. I'm not sure what to make of those definitions, but they're honest.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Money is cool, but I'd never measure my success over how much money I have.

For me it's all about happiness, and as someone that has money to do whatever I want I can easily say that money doesn't mean much to me, it helps? Of course, but I couldn't care less about making more, and if I did I'd probably just give it all to my partner.
Money is happiness. It really is. People want to say it's not but the freedom to go wherever whenever is hard to imagine unless you're there. Even not having to worry about bills is pure joy.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah social media can be terrible with this, especially when at a certain age. i just had to cut it entirely and gauge success in my own terms or else i would literally go crazy, or end up being somebody i wasn't (no interest in getting married and starting a family, which in most circles puts a scarlet "L" on your head even if you are filthy rich)

Oct 25, 2017
Money is happiness. It really is. People want to say it's not but the freedom to go wherever whenever is hard to imagine unless you're there. Even not having to worry about bills is pure joy.

I was offered a job position that paid double what I earned but I'd have to spend less time with my partner, and I declined said offer, for me success is having enough money to do whatever you want to do, so in my case I'm already successful.

So change it to having enough money and that would be a part, not everything but sure being stress free is nice.

I know a lot of people that are unhappy who are rich, and one of my best friends is sooo damn happy and he's poor as hell. So yeah, it just depends on what you want.

Oct 27, 2017
Such effortless lives are never remembered.
True, but in 100 years the overwhelming majority of everyone will be totally forgotten. Soon enough the last person to really remember each of us will be dead, too. Then the people who remember them, as well. So on and so on. I get wanting to leave a legacy but, heck, eventually all the evidence humanity ever even existed will be swallowed by the dying sun.

It would be great to be remembered, I guess, but what value does it really hold? Kim Kardashian will be remembered far longer than anyone here, I'd wager. I guess to me success can only be defined by the individual. If feeling like they'll be remembered helps someone be satisfied with their time here, that's the ultimate good I suppose.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I actually wrote a blog post about this a while back.

https://ultramegacrepidarian.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/making-peace-with-mediocrity/
https://ultramegacrepidarian.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/making-peace-with-mediocrity/
The more I think about it, the more I understand that there isn't a single, definitive scale against which I can measure my success, there are many. Maybe I won't be CEO of a company, but I might travel the world with the middling salary I have. Maybe I won't write novels and stories of timeless brilliance, but maybe I'll begin a family and leave a legacy that lasts for generations. For every scale and measure against which you feel mediocre, unsatisfactory, understand that there are innumerable ways to view the value of a life lived.

Really not trying to self-promote, it's a tiny blog meant for no-one other than me really so Mods please remove the link if necessary, but the post seemed pretty relevant to the OP.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Being able to buy someone's house and kicking them out because they parked too close to my house

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I measure success by the number of copies of Youngblood #1 one owns.

And I'm not even successful by my own metric.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
For me it's having enough time to pursue self-actualization. Money can buy you time, but not forever.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
*in heavy Austrian accent*
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

justjustni

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, it's the feeling. You learn to feel successful or happy, and that's success. Any other measurement and you can only have ONE successful person on the planet. No matter how much you have, someone else will have more.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Success for me is my family being as happy as possible and that's something I work on daily.

FB isn't that hard to disconnect from and I don't care what "successful" people on FB are up to. Nearly all the flashy rich people on my page, I personally know some of their demons and would never trade places. Count your blessings people!