• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Jaws or Schindler's List. I will say Munich would have gotten much better press (and less criticism) if someone else's name wasn't attached to it.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Munich I guess. On the whole not really a fan. Opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan was pretty good tho.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't make me chose only one. That is impossible.

My top three Spielberg films are Jaws, Schindler's List, and Raider's of the Lost Ark

Honestly though, I could pick another 5 films easily that belong in my top 3.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Close Encounters for me, everything about that movie is perfect. Though it's not gonna be winning any polls.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
For me it's between Jaws and Jurassic Park, and that's a damn close race.

Jaws may win for me by a hair.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean Society has moved on? Are you saying they don't make much bank box office wise or are you saying his recognition has dwindled?

Next yr his take on West Side Story comes out....can't wait

Both. He's not "hot" anymore and his voice isn't as fresh or in style. He's probably got one of the longest runs in the biz. His skill haven't diminished at all IMO. I don't know if filmmaking still excites him like it used to—Scorsese still talks about cinema like he discovered it yesterday, he's just so passionate—but I'd still take a Spielberg blockbuster over whatever is coming off of Disney's assembly line.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Close Encounters of the Lost Ark.

EDIT: I always forget Schindler's List was a Spielberg movie. It's so out of the norm for him. Easily one of the greatest movies ever made, for a number of reasons.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd take the Omaha Beach sequence from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN over many directors' catalogs.

Rewatched that film the other day and that sequence is still mesmerizing. The film is overly sentimental in spots and the structure is a little strange, but the moments that work really work.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time. Jurassic Park is up there.

I wish I've seen more of his dramas, because I don't really have much to say about them.

Saving Private Ryan is pretty good overall, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Jaws.
E.T.
Saving Private Ryan.
Schindler's List.
Duel.
Jurassic Park.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

No particular order but that's a hell of a list to pick just one.

Oct 27, 2017
It's clearly Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is perhaps the closest thing to a perfect film ever made. Not a wasted scene. Covers every genre - action, adventure, horror, comedy, romance. Iconic characters. Iconic themes. Set new standards for set pieces. Top 10 score And theme.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Grew up with ET and Hook, and they are my two favorite Steven Spielberg movies.

Hook gets the win simply because I loved it more as a kid and watched it so much. Often fast-forwarded to the part where Peter remembers everything.

Love this so much, watching it again gives me goosebumps.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
E.T.

Schindler's List is also perfect but its masterful portrayal of serious subject matter propels it too far ahead of Spielberg's, or any other director's, other movies. It's not fair.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Munich or Schindler's List.

Depends what day of the week it is. Munich is the more maturely made film where Spielberg doesn't give in to any of his sentimental sensibilities, but exercises restraint all the way through. Spielberg exercises his restraint for a majority of Schindler, but lapses toward the end (I could of got more scene), but it's the overall more impactful work.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Voted for Schindler, but there are so many excellent answers. JP, Raiders, ET, Jaws are all masterpieces.

Pleasantly surprised to see a handful of votes for Catch Me If You Can. Such a delightful and rarely mentioned entry in Spielberg's filmography.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I love Jurassic Park so much that I watched the VHS everyday for months, and sent a letter to Steven Spielberg to say how much I loved it....but i would not call it his "best" movie.

Shoutout to the people that mentioned The Color Purple, that movie is one example of a white director not bungling a film with a predominantly Black cast.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Schindler's List man.
Saving Private Ryan and Raiders are a very close second and third.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I was very young when I saw Schindler's List and I wasn't mentally prepared to understand or fully comprehend what I was getting myself into, but I wouldn't be surprised if that movie was the defining moment where I lost my innocence of youth. It left me so emotionally traumatized, horrified, sad and angry that I've only managed to see it once. I have been wanting to see the movie again for some time now though.

So yes, I'd probably rate that as his objectionably best and most important and impactful movie. But when it comes to movies I've enjoyed on multiple viewing I'd go with Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and SPR.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Voted for Raiders, as it's got to be one of the purest, most beautifully and cleverly made expressions of pop entertainment ever. Schindler's List, Jaws, Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan aren't too far behind.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This is really tough, because so many of his films strike different cords that it's really difficult to just nail down ONE movie and call it his best.

Jurassic Park will always hold a special place for me because it literally left my child brain in awe. I couldn't believe what I was seeing onthe big screen. Every choice, every shot, every sound was deliberate and, to my brain, perfect.

Raiders also sticks in my brain as both a product of its time, but also a movie that had incredible vision and would set the standard for so many films that followed it.

I could write a paragraph on so many of his movies and why I love them.