• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
These last few year, SEGA has been porting over some classics to the PC.

Notably games that made it over from the PS360 days are Yakuza 0, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta and Vanquish. Not all million sellers, but from what I understand, they were all successful porting endeavors.

I might have missed it, but the last year has been very quiet when it comes to whatever they have been working on.

So what are they working on? What should they work on? What's still missing from being available on PC?

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Skies of Arcadia. There's a survey on the drop down menu for Bayonetta/Vanquish on PS4. I put Skies of Arcadia everywhere it was possible to enter text. I probably annoyed them, didn't I?

Oct 26, 2017
SEGA has no PC porting division.

Catherine Classic, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 were handled by SEGA West and outside partners like QLOC, Lab42

Vanquish and Bayonetta were developed in-house by PG if i'm not mistaken.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd kinda like a Mad World or Anarchy Reigns remaster, but that would likely be for more platforms than just PC.

Maybe Sonic Colors, Sonic Unleashed or even Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Some of the Panzer Dragoon games maybe? There is that remake coming.

I'm always up for ports of some of their classic arcade racing games.

Persona obv if you are including Atlus.

Edit: I bet Skies of Arcadia will come one day.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
giphy-5.gif

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They also handle console ports occasionally (Shenmue I & II, Bayonetta/Vanquish Collection). I sort of wonder if they're doing the work on Yakuza 0/1K/2K for Xbox also?

Sega West also handles the PC ports of newer Sega games too like Valkyria Chronicles 4, Sonic Forces or Puyo Puyo Tetris for example.

Catherine Classic, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 were handled by SEGA West and outside partners like QLOC, Lab42

Correct they don't port inhouse but contract external teams. All Sega West's internal groups are busy with their own products (Football Manager, Total War, Two Point Hospital, etc).

Wrong on Bayonetta and Vanquish though. Armature Studio ported them and Sega West produced them. All Platinum did was an early consult like with the PC ports.

edit: oh you meant PC Bayo/Van? That was also Sega West and actually ported by the team who did Valkyria PC: Little Stone Software. Platinum's never done any late ports inhouse except Bayo 1-2 on Switch and presumably the coming W101 remaster on Switch, PS4 and maybe PC.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I see, I thought SEGA West (Europe, right?) was responsible for the porting push over the last few years by themselves.

I'd kinda like a Mad World or Anarchy Reigns remaster, but that would likely be for more platforms than just PC.

Maybe Sonic Colors, Sonic Unleashed or even Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Some of the Panzer Dragoon games maybe? There is that remake coming.

I'm always up for ports of some of their classic arcade racing games.

Persona obv if you are including Atlus.

Edit: I bet Skies of Arcadia will come one day.

Mad World would be awesome!

And PC would only be the first stept to get them to whatever console they wanna sell it on.

This would be fantastic! I wonder why they never bothered to port it anywhere since the GCN version.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Port Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed and retrofit the Heroes PC port to be Steam-compatible (along with console releases). Boom, entire Sonic series on PC. (fuck 06)

Oct 26, 2017
Wrong on Bayonetta and Vanquish though. Armature Studio ported them and Sega West produced them. All Platinum did was an early consult like with the PC ports.

edit: oh you meant PC Bayo/Van? That was also Sega West and actually ported by the team who did Valkyria PC: Little Stone Software.

Yes i was talking about PC ports, not the PS4/One.

I was under the impression PG did it since they released the trailer and talked about how much they were happy with the PC version

Edit:

Little Stone Software did Vanquish and Bayo was PG?

PCI: VC was ported by Little Stone Software, who are a pretty small studio; were they contracted by SEGA, or did they pitch to you?

JC:
We've worked with Little Stone many times before; they understand our requirements, how we think about the consumer and can deliver really well against that.

PCI: Bayonetta and Vanquish were both presumably ported by Platinum Games. For games like this, what is the process for deciding/finalising which PC 'enhancements' (uncapped frame-rate/4K/etc) are to be included?

JC:
Over the years we've established our 'best practice' approach to conversions. The technical quality, graphics card compatibility, Steam feature alignment etc is left to the developer and publisher to decide, there is no approvals process. In essence we've created our own submission process; we take into account the views of over 125M potential 'approvers'.

We worked closely with Platinum to identify the important elements and ensure that functionality was present- it's great to see the community feedback, we take on board the positive comments and do our utmost to address areas of improvement.

www.pcinvasion.com

SEGA PC Ports Interview with SEGA Europe's John Clark

PC Invasion get an overview of SEGA's recent PC porting policy from SEGA Europe's SVP of Commercial Publishing, John Clark.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The dream is Persona 5 and maybe the other two as well.
But I'd like to see that Sakura Wars game come to PC.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sega China had more Dreamcast remasters in the works for XBLA/PSN/Steam, and Skies was reportedly one of them, but the previous round sold so badly the entire initiative was killed.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes i was talking about PC ports, not the PS4/One.

I was under the impression PG did it since they released the trailer and talked about how much they were happy with the PC version

Edit:

Little Stone Software did Vanquish and Bayo was PG?

www.pcinvasion.com

SEGA PC Ports Interview with SEGA Europe's John Clark

PC Invasion get an overview of SEGA's recent PC porting policy from SEGA Europe's SVP of Commercial Publishing, John Clark.

Platinum did an early consult on it but that's as far as they went for development. They never do their own PC ports afaik.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza Collecton, Yakuza 6, Judgement, some of the Yakuza spin off games, all seem good candidates.

The Fist of the North Star game is one that I hope gets ported.

That's pretty much all I want.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I expect a Yakuza Remastered collection (3-5) announcements in the next few months, based on how the previous ports went.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
In the era of things like DJMAX Respect being on Steam, there's no reason for Miku games not to be on PC (other than the fact that Sega Japan haven't heard of the PC platform).

Oh, and there's a chance that Lab42 is currently working on Yakuza 3-5 HD - they tweeted something about starting 3 projects at the start of the year.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
An arcade collection from the Model 3 and Naomi days would be amazing.

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
Right now they are porting yakuza 3-5. I except to see them this year. Next year Judgement-Yakuza 6-7.
twitter.com

Lab42 Games on Twitter

“New year, new desk! Start of the year shuffle round as we kick off 3 new projects 🥳🤝🙏”

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume the rest of the Yakuza series is top priority

I'd love it they contracted out a whole bunch of Saturn and Dreamcast games though

Persona seems unlikely but then again Catherine inexplicably ended up on PC after Full Body was announced so who even knows at this point

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
In the era of things like DJMAX Respect being on Steam, there's no reason for Miku games not to be on PC (other than the fact that Sega Japan haven't heard of the PC platform).
I'm all for any rhythm game coming to PC. Respect coming blew my mind. It was one of my first purchases on PS4 as a longtime DJMAX fan, but honestly the Dualshock 4 hurts my thumbs to play with and I don't wanna splurge on a Dao keyboard (yet).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Right now they are porting yakuza 3-5. I except to see them this year. Next year Judgement-Yakuza 6-7.
twitter.com

Lab42 Games on Twitter

“New year, new desk! Start of the year shuffle round as we kick off 3 new projects 🥳🤝🙏”

That's exactly what I'm expecting for the Yakuza series as well.

Once we're caught up on Yakuza, maybe Sega West will be able to wrangle something out of Atlus.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
VF5, I think it would perform better in the west now than ever due to the fighting games renaissance. it would be a slam-dunk on PC.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The fantasy port would be Bayonetta 2, but that's never happening, so I'll take the Persona games instead.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Skies of Arcadia. There's a survey on the drop down menu for Bayonetta/Vanquish on PS4. I put Skies of Arcadia everywhere it was possible to enter text. I probably annoyed them, didn't I?

1st post wins. Listened to the Dreamcast RPGs episode of Axe of the Blood God and it made me want to play it again.

Vergilius

Apr 10, 2018
I wish we could get a western Console/PC release of Yakuza Ishin but since they won't, I love to see Sega do a VF5FS PC port beside Persona 5. Also, Don't forget Judgement.