• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Wii Music feels like the right answer, but it felt like it was at least self-consciously a weird experiment. Amiibo Festival doesn't even have that going for it. It's just an Animal Crossing skin on all the worst children's board games

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
fca31adb9d68727be9987bb2cb06a9c7.png

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Urban Champion or either of the ROB games.

It's sad to see this game drug through the mud. Half the people dissing Amiibo Festival didn't even play it.

Not a great game by any means, and a lot of it was very forgettable. But it had some decent parts to it.

I still feel this was made from the remnants of a proper AC title for the Wii U that just couldn't get done in time. Or Nintendo just told them to focus on New Horizons. Like something weird had to have happened for Wii U to just get Amiibo Festival and that downloadable AC mii Plaza alternative.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its Amiibo festival but this:
is a strong contender. One of the few times they managed to make the main gameplay loop not only not fun, but borderline broken.
The whole "engage in fights" thing didn't work out so well, and bosses only being beatable by certain stickers you might have used earlier was just...ugh.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I knew someone would say this. But I loved the game as a kid :-(
It was a kid's game so no worries haha.

I must say, the visual style does age well today.

My issue was expectations. I loved YI. It was my favorite platformer on the SNES. And this was very different.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wii Music feels like the right answer, but it felt like it was at least self-consciously a weird experiment. Amiibo Festival doesn't even have that going for it. It's just an Animal Crossing skin on all the worst children's board games
I think this too, amiibo Festival really feels like an attempt to justify the amiibos, nothing more. Maybe the R.O.B. games are similar.

Also, what about the Artoon games? People liked those? 🤔
220px-Flingsmash_cover.png

I had Club Penguin Game Day xD It was fun from what I remember.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having played Amiibo Festival, it's too competently made and inoffensive for me to consider it a bad game, in fact the island survival minigame was good enough to be brought over to New Leaf.

I think Phantom Hourglass might be the worst game relative to its series, though worst overall, probably not.

I'd probably have to dig back to some NES/Gameboy Jank to find a legitimately bad first party game.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've never seen such a swath of bad opinions as people here saying Sunshine, Yoshi Story, Double Dash, Twilight Princess, and Nintendo Land are bad games let alone 'the worst' games for a company that's been making games for almost 40 years.

It's like saying Thor The Dark World is the worst superhero movie ever made.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ITT: Underwhelming/mediocre games that people conflate as bottom of the barrel. Wonder how long it'll be until someone says Pokémon SwSh.

I'd probably say like Urban Champion or something. It's legitimately a dismal experience to play.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's sad to see this game drug through the mud. Half the people dissing Amiibo Festival didn't even play it.

Not a great game by any means, and a lot of it was very forgettable. But it had some decent parts to it.

My answer for the OP would be Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. That game didn't even feel like it finished development.
EDIT: Nevermind, I completely wiped Sticker Star from my memory. Now THAT is a trash game.

I mean, I played Amiibo Festival. And I love Mario Party. And what makes Amiibo Festival impressively bad isn't just the amiibo part, but how they took essentially zero good ideas from the Mario Party series for that game. There's no minigames, a single board and no player agency outside of the still random turnip stock market. And you have to grind for ages to unlock anything in the game that still barely improves the experience. It's actually impressively dismal, in totally missing the potential of a Mario-Party-like game and also being an obvious cashgrab.

I mean, weird to follow that up with Mario Tennis being worse - the core of it is at least still fun to play with friends. Tbh, everyone talks about how it's an obvious tech demo for the Switch game but the mechanics really aren't that similar and are in some ways more interesting as a casual party game.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Urban Champion and The Legendary Starfy are the worst two I've played.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
The worst of Nintendo is rarely bad, but lazy or uninspired. Kind of like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or Amiibo Festival.
Does Sushi Striker count? For $50 no less! Oh, Nintendo. That's some f2p tier stuff right there. Good thing I just played the demo.

I know I'm in the minority, but liked Sticker Star and Star Fox Zero.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon, Star Allies wasn't THAT bad. It was just a weak entry coming off of Robobot and Triple Deluxe
It's not even weak by comparison. It's only weak if you stop after you beat the game. Kirby games SS and beyond have put a lot of focus on post game content, and Triple Deluxe is filled to the brim with it, especially post Updates.

I mean, I played Amiibo Festival. And I love Mario Party. And what makes Amiibo Festival impressively bad isn't just the amiibo part, but how they took essentially zero good ideas from the Mario Party series for that game. There's no minigames, a single board and no player agency outside of the still random turnip stock market. And you have to grind for ages to unlock anything in the game that still barely improves the experience. It's actually impressively dismal, in totally missing the potential of a Mario-Party-like game and also being an obvious cashgrab.

I mean, weird to follow that up with Mario Tennis being worse - the core of it is at least still fun to play with friends. Tbh, everyone talks about how it's an obvious tech demo for the Switch game but the mechanics really aren't that similar and are in some ways more interesting as a casual party game.
AF looks worse if you look at it through the lens of Mario Party. That isn't what the game is trying to be. It's much closer to Fortune Street by design, and the "board" changes each month so there's a lot of variability. And some of the minigames are really fun, especially the later levels of Island Escape.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's not even weak by comparison. It's only weak if you stop after you beat the game. Kirby games SS and beyond have put a lot of focus on post game content, and Triple Deluxe is filled to the brim with it, especially post Updates.
Eh, the level design in Star Allies is much weaker because the multiplayer aspect IMO

It also limited the boss battles, we didn't get any cool circular arena fights like Robobot had either, and there were less bonus postgame bosses too. Robobot had a bunch, and it was great.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
It's AC: Amiibo Festival or Sticker Star.

Sticker Star was just terrible from start to finish, they achieved the impossible and made me absolutely hate a Paper Mario game. I loved PM, TTYD and SPM, even if SPM had a completely different gameplay style to the first two, at least its writing was fantastic and the gameplay was still fun. I was hyped for it, then it dropped and it was the first Nintendo game I've ever abandoned after less than 5 hours, I just couldn't deal with how bad it was.

In terms of both timing and execution though, AF wins easily. A cash-grab pile of shit that came to a floundering system that desperately needed a big seller, in a time when AC fans were hungry for a new, prettier instalment on a home console (especially after the AC Plaza looked so pretty; they had to have made those models for a reason, right? Right?!). It has no depth, no value and no point in existing.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This forum out here saying shit like Double Dash, Air Ride or FE Fates. Christ.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to see people say Wii Music, Amiibo Festival, Urban Champion, or some kind of silly bait answer, but, real talk, it's Stack Up. A game Nintendo cared so little about that, not only is it a very blatantly incomplete product, they didn't even bother changing the in-game title to match what they were selling it as in the west.

Robot Block is a great name, even if the game itself is bad!

As for worst... Urban Champion is definitely up there. Ice Climber isn't great either, but it's at least good for some laughs. There's also stuff like Tennis and Golf. Not... bad, just very basic and boring.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
A couple come to mind.

lzLC36y.jpg

The first Steel Diver on 3DS is a contender, not because it's awful but more because it's really simplistic and not worth the $40 they were charging for it at launch. (To my recollection, it began development as a DSiWare game and the final product isn't much more ambitious)

1BjFpyS.jpg

Star Fox Zero definitely belongs in this list. It's an uninspired rehash of Star Fox 64 with a broken aiming system. They developed the game to make use of the Wii U GamePad, but the ideas they had were very poorly executed. (Again, aiming is completely broken)

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Sticker Star

It is not a game marred by glitches or technical shortcomings

It is a game that broken in its logic, a game that shouldn't have even left the planning stage.

To this day, it is the only game that I bought, played and returned in quick succession.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Sticker Star

It is not a game marred by glitches or technical shortcomings

It is a game that broken in its logic, a game that shouldn't have even left the planning stage.

To this day, it is the only game that I bought, played and returned in quick succession.
Same lol. I basically never sell games. But I played Sticker Star for like 2 hours and just couldn't believe how bad it was. Really hurt as a Paper Mario fan.

Hopefully some day we get something good again.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
A couple come to mind.

lzLC36y.jpg

The first Steel Diver on 3DS is a contender, not because it's awful but more because it's really simplistic and not worth the $40 they were charging for it at launch. (To my recollection, it began development as a DSiWare game and the final product isn't much more ambitious)

Being a somewhat costly game doesn't makes it bad by itself. You can have a neat fun for it for a tenner. It's a game i'm surprised it got a somewhat sequel. It needs a continuation, somehow.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Being a somewhat costly game doesn't makes it bad by itself. You can have a neat fun for it for a tenner. It's a game i'm surprised it got a somewhat sequel. It needs a continuation, somehow.

It isn't just that it's expensive, it's that there's very little to the game as well. Sub Wars, the free-to-play sequel, is a much more interesting game. The $40 they charged for the first one just made a very mediocre game even worse.