• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nier-Automata-Gameplay-PV-Init_10-29-15.jpg

The original Nier was quite the cult title and Nier: Automata ended up as a bigger than expected success. Now the series is back in the limelight and a lot of people are wondering what will be next. Will it continue in the same universe as Automata? Go to a different setting that keeps shared plot and elements from the prior 2 titles? There are a lot of potential avenues for it to go and the mind of Yoko Taro is one that can't be easily probed.

As of right now, I think the upcoming concerts and the recent FF14 & SC6 collabs are a good way to keep the game in the public conscience. Aside from that you have the active fanbase that still keeps the ball rolling (Off Topic: But there sure are a lot of Nintendo Related Accounts that are called something like "Yorha XX or 2B". Just a spiel since I see numerous ones on my timeline lol).

While i'm not the biggest fan or lore expert on the series. I do have a few ideas on what I think will be next

- Larger Budget (No Brainer after the success of Nier: A)
- Multi-Platform Release (With a bigger budget means more chance of it releasing across all platforms, rather than some ports later on)
- New Setting (As popular as 2B and the others are, I think their story is done for the most part. So I think Taro will continue his work on providing us with new characters we can enjoy along with the expected callbacks).
- Expanded "Shared World" options (While N:A had some of this, I could see more effort put into this aspect (Almost similar to DS) where others actions can impact your world in different ways. Perhaps opening things up for some unique story offerings).

May 17, 2018
After the last two I think it's literally impossible to predict.

I almost hope there isn't another one. Let him do something wild and new.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting that the FFXIV Nier raid is canon

Whether it's a continuation of the main plot or a side story, Yoko Taro would be the kind of person to do this. I really think he's gonna drop something in there for people to talk about by the end of it.

Edit: I should clarify, I think that if this happens, the future of Nier might have a reveal at the end of the raid series.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess if Yoko Taro is involved, it'd be similar to how Nier and Automata are connected (or how Drakengard and Nier are connected, even). I don't really think he likes repeatedly visiting characters or settings.

If he's not involved, I don't want another. I don't want another Drakengard 2.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Predicting the next NieR game will be the grand finale that features Caim and Angelus, Papa Nier and Weiss, 2B and 9S, and Zero and Mikhail all teaming up to defeat a resurrected Mother Grotesquerie and her Red-Eye minions once and for all, finally putting away the threat that created the NieRverse in the first place.

...for real, though, a new setting seems almost guaranteed, but beyond that, I cannot predict what comes next. The Drakengard games were a ludicrously-exaggerated dark fantasy series, NieR was a bleak fantasy story born from a science-fiction tragedy, and Automata made the jump to full-on sci-fi without looking back. Who's to say which new genre will be introduced to the NieRverse next? o_o

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, less perverted bullshit. Yoko Taro needs to get that shit in check next time around. It's poisonous.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
They will make the sequel internally with a bigger budget, good graphics etc and it will somehow fail.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we need all new set of characters and story. If they bring back any A,B,E characters they should only have as much hold on story as those two twins Devola had in Nier Automata.

In fact putting them into spotlight would devalue everything in Nier Automata for me.
Hopefully, less perverted bullshit. Yoko Taro needs to get that shit in check next time around. It's poisonous.
I agree. Maybe I am not confident enough but it is embarrassing playing that game in public/audience.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its been in his last 3 console games and drakengard (original) seems to be the only game that doesnt have it. (thank god Caim does the right thing when that incest trope is thrown his way )

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
When I last talked to Taro about it, he said his original concept for a new Nier was for it to be set in an open-world modern-day Tokyo, but he axed that idea because he didn't think Platinum could do it. Now he has confidence they could pull off something like that.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking we'll either see a new entry in the Drakengard world or a Nier entry that takes places before Gestalt/Replicant and Automata. Maybe dive a lot more into the 'Great Disaster' or The Flower. It would be pretty cool if Yoko Taro expanded on what happened between Drakengard and Gestalt/Replicant. We already have a solid timeline of what happened between the two games, but it would be a completely different experience seeing it all play out.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a new Drakengard that uses some of the ideas from the canceled Scalebound? Really hoping for an explanation behind Cathedral City's origins, which could dive into The Flower some more.

Wasn't it already announced last year that the next NieR was in pre-planning?

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing popping in my mind is them setting it during the final moments of Drakengard Tokyo ending and the aftermath. I feel thst could make a really interesting twist cause you are involved in the actual beginnings.

If I had to choose though, I would love a remake of the first Drakengard (Keep everything like the music and story the same) and make a new game play. After that I want a new Drakengard game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
When I last talked to Taro about it, he said his original concept for a new Nier was for it to be set in an open-world modern-day Tokyo, but he axed that idea because he didn't think Platinum could do it. Now he has confidence they could pull off something like that.

Feels like modern day would take a lot of the mystery and melancholy out of Nier, but I like his apparent interest and confidence in collaborating with Platinum.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It seems very hard to predict what would happen with this. Though I doubt there'd be anyone returning outside of Emil and Devola/Popola.

Personally I just want a game that's a lot more weird like the original gameplaywise. Give me the game randomly turning into a text adventure type "what" moment again.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
reminder that in terms of canon nier automata is a sequel to a stage play that came out 3? years before it and the things that happen in that play are important to the story of nierA to a large degree

yep

basically, let him do whatever seems interesting because it seems to usually pan out if he has someone helping him

or sometimes its drakengard 3 who knows

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It will be a new name title starring a group from the hamelin organization fighting the legion. we will see their declining mental states and relationships tested, collapse and strengthen on the last days of human civilizations struggle against white chlorination syndrome.

For me this is the only real possibility. Its the biggest black spot in the lore of drakenier that we havent experienced, although there are others

I guess the name nier could technically still apply since it takes place in the same dimension although a few thousand years earlier...

We could also possibly see a cameo of emil and his sister's origins too, the experiments underground...its around the same time as hamelin organization as well

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
I really would love a remake/remaster of Nier Gestalt/Replicant. Couldn't care less about 2B and 9S and really hope if they do a sequel, they do new characters and go away from Automata in general. Such a disappointing game.

Oct 26, 2017
There's an ongoing Nier: Automata / FFXIV collab and it's very elaborate, I wouldn't be surprised if that storyline is going to be considered canon.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
War against the Legion, please. Make it grounded and not with flying asses left and right.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
NieR Automata 2 isn't gonna happen, he said himself that he considers that Story done.

It's most likely going to be something wholly new or something based on his manga, which also a Stageplay in the making like NieR Automata did Prior to ist announcement.

There's an ongoing Nier: Automata / FFXIV collab and it's very elaborate, I wouldn't be surprised if that storyline is going to be considered canon.

Basically everything in the taroverse is Canon.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably baseless but ever since Automata's smash hit status I've been kind of worried about Square Enix more or less demanding Automata 2, either from Taro or someone else. Automata is one of my favorite games of all time, but part of that is tied up in how surprising it was. I love 2B and the rest of the cast, but given her meteoric rise as a mascot character it feels like it could be all too easy for SE to want to plaster her on as many games as possible and dilute the whole Nier thing.

Part of what I like so much about Yoko Taro's work is that it's more or less a loosely connected anthology series that can stretch to fit whatever he wants to do with it.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My dream wish would be a Taro x Kamiya collaboration for Drakengard 4. Just make it happen, you cowards. Though Automata has turned the Nier series into a golden goose for Square, so I don't think we'll see a new Drakengard game in the near future.

I'd also like a new IP set on modern day Tokyo, it'd be a rhythm music game and the plot would be completely unrelated to previous games.
Until you reach the final ending and you watch how a red dragon falls from the sky.

I mean, everything so far has been canon. Hell, I'm pretty sure that Drakengard 2 spinoff set in a modern day high school is canon in some way.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
We will find out what's next during the final part of the Final Fantasy 14 Nier Raid. You can bet the story there is canon.

Jul 24, 2018
I honestly hope he moves on to something new, as Nier much like Drakengard is very serial based, so I imagine something that probably takes place in the shared Taro universe.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
worrying too much about canon in the nier/drakengard series is a fool's errand. it's intentionally obtuse