• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a MP shooter necessarily, but you should really give Dead by Daylight a shot. Not only is it crossplay, available on a ton of platforms, AND free on Game Pass, but it is the most dead simple (lol) mp game I have every played while still remaining satisfying and having a huge amount of depth.

The game is legitimately a two button game, which is basically unheard of for serious MP games. There are tons of characters to learn, an immense amount of per character progression, and the community is fine (I haven't experienced anything toxic in my time with it).

I will say, I am sure tons of talented artists work on the game but to my eyes it is the ugliest modern game I have ever played. The character models and faces are just awful, but don't let that push you away because they have something really special with the way they mix simplistic controls, team-vs-solo player dynamics, and progression. If you want to dive deep into the more intricate mechanics you can, but its a blast to just run around and try and fix generators without engaging with the deeper meta beyond that.

Do you need to use voice chat to be effective in the game?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I'll say call of duty. For some reason, its what I play during the holiday weeks in the winter. I've never found the community to be all that toxic. If you won't play the battle royale, you could play multiplayer with chat off.

I do think you should give warzone a try.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I play COD daily, any of the iterations are fine on console with the most players on Modern Warfare (free warzone) and Black Ops Cold War (latest).

I turn off party audio (one time game setting) and have zero issues, the multiplayer games are simple, don't require any real coordination, and it doesn't matter what other people are saying. The nuketown 24x7 are for the most part solo games, just people getting kills and half your team will never touch any objective (half the games will be deathmatch so no big deal). I don't really understand this "multiplayer toxicity" issue people have, I play without mic/headset so what other people say and do has never been a concern for me.

I understand in overwatch where many games ARE objective based, where you NEED a healer and a tank, etc but thats definitely not stuff like COD. Also most battle royales have a solo mode and thats really fun to play, for me. I even solo queue (team fill OFF) in 2s and 3s and do just fine, rarely win but getting to top 10 is satisfying.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Are there really people in here unironically recommending CoD Cold War and rainbow 6 as not hyper competitive and toxic?

What's next? You guys going to tell OP to play league of legends?

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Do you need to use voice chat to be effective in the game?
I would say no, since there is text chat, but I don't believe it has adopted the in-game comm system that is common in team shooters.

One of the other stronger parts of this game is that if you don't have a group of people you want to play with, you can play as the killer since the game is set up as 4 versus 1. It really is such a unique and effective approach to a multiplayer strategy/action game.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Are there really people in here unironically recommending CoD Cold War and rainbow 6 as not hyper competitive and toxic?

What's next? You guys going to tell OP to play league of legends?

I can only share my experience. I guess I've been lucky. But I'm pretty much a lightweight when it comes to COD. I play maybe 30-60 hours a year and usually have a good time. I haven't put hundreds of hours into any single title. So maybe that might have something to do with it.

If op wants to enjoy something for a couple of weeks, rather than turn it into a daily game, then I think it could be worth considering. Especially if they turn chat off.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
For PVE. I gotta go with Deep Rock Galactic. Everyone I have played with has been incredibly nice and fun people to play with and sometimes talk.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I would say no, since there is text chat, but I don't believe it has adopted the in-game comm system that is common in team shooters.

One of the other stronger parts of this game is that if you don't have a group of people you want to play with, you can play as the killer since the game is set up as 4 versus 1. It really is such a unique and effective approach to a multiplayer strategy/action game.

Are most people playing as the 4 non-killers usually talking/chatting?

I pretty much avoid everything that involves having to use voice or even text communication. I really like the games that only use pings and whatnot.

I played Friday the 13th, and that game seems very similar to this one. And that one had a lot of the "victim" team constantly chatting.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall is not at all accessible at this point. Everyone left there are way to fucking good at the game. You will have a steep cliff to climb.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Are most people playing as the 4 non-killers usually talking/chatting?

I pretty much avoid everything that involves having to use voice or even text communication. I really like the games that only use pings and whatnot.

I played Friday the 13th, and that game seems very similar to this one. And that one had a lot of the "victim" team constantly chatting.
I would imagine that, like with basically all competitive team games, there is a lot of voice chat in the higher ranks. Turning off the voice chat and playing with visual queues or text should certainly work well enough for you though!

I have a group of four that I play with, so I do use voice chat but it is with IRL friends. I suppose that means I am not super aware of what the average player is like in game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Fallout 76 has the nicest community I've ever seen among multiplayer games. The game is good now.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I can only share my experience. I guess I've been lucky. But I'm pretty much a lightweight when it comes to COD. I play maybe 30-60 hours a year and usually have a good time. I haven't put hundreds of hours into any single title. So maybe that might have something to do with it.

If op wants to enjoy something for a couple of weeks, rather than turn it into a daily game, then I think it could be worth considering. Especially if they turn chat off.
I think that deals with the toxicity, but the hyper competitive aspect of it is more pronounced than ever with the strict SBMM

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Would prefer to play on Xbox Series X or PS5 (also have a Switch).

I played Overwatch some years ago on PC (don't have one anymore) and did put 300 hours into it.
With the new lockdown coming in two days here in Germany I have the itch to sink some time into another MP shooter with the sense of progression like OW gave me in ranked mode.
Don't really want to come back to OW but rather something new.
I never played CoD but I assume the community isn't really fun? RS:Siege seems very complicated with a steep learning curve.

What else is out there that has a healthy and open/helpful community?

Rogue Company

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I tried it some three or four years ago with a bunch of friends and we were getting steam rolled left and right by people with all the upgrades unlocked and whatnot though.
Try it again, the only thing to really unlock are scopes. Anybody can be good at titanfall, it as easier to contribute in titanfall because they got a controlled grunts and those add to the team score and then you just gotta get your titan for easy player kills.

There's depth to titanfall like a fighting game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Splatoon, because you have to jump through alot hoops to be shitty towards someone else. I'd only ask that the switch successor would have built in party chat and if you want randoms in your ear you gotta opt in by default.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Another vote for Splatoon 2.

Not only is different and a lot of fun, it also has one of the most amazing OSTs in any game ever!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend double and triple checking your research on Splatoon 2 before buying it based on recommends on this forum; I didn't myself and I'm still annoyed I bought it, it just isn't my cup of tea (not a bad game or anything) but it definitely didn't scratch the shooter itch for me.

I'd give the nod to TMCC.

Also RB6:Siege really isn't all that hard to get into IMO, definitely give it a shot if you get a chance.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
There is, it's inaccessible until you reach ranked 10. I dabbled in it and it didn't grab me because the games are so bite-sized (5 mins vs normal 3 mins for turf war) and there's zero communication, so I personally don't think it really has that competitive appeal that ranked play has where you've been playing against the same team for an extended back-and-forth match. Siege can go up to overtime in a ninth round and CS: GO/Valorant are best of 30 rounds. The time investment is high, but it allows for mini-rivalries to develop in the course of a match. It's always satisfying to come from behind or frustrating to lose a lead. Shorter matches does away with that aspect altogether.

Man you don't know about the X rank power climb and trying to stay top 500 😂.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Man you don't know about the X rank power climb and trying to stay top 500 😂.

You can climb ranks and struggle to stay in Master's/Diamond/Apex Predator/Immortal/Challenger/whatever from any competitive shooter nowadays. I'm just saying I prefer longer matches in ranked play in shooters.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think you'd have to go out of your way to find a sense of progression and community in Splatoon. There's zero communication and the matches are so bite-sized that they feel inconsequential. That's just me though.

MCC can be extremely rough for newcomers. The matchmaking has a wide leeway with regards to skill and you will have /extremely/ one-sided matches with scrubs and people who have been playing Halo 2 system link with their youth group since 2004.

I think trying to find a game with all of your qualifications is basically impossible. I'd say find a group first then decide on the game.

EDIT: There is a lot of progression in Splatoon in leveling and unlocking different weapons, if that's your thing. I edited my above post.
Big Team Battle is usually pretty safe for newcomers, even in MCC

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Splatoon or Destiny 2. The latter's Discord community here is legitimately the most welcoming, helpful and friendly of any game I've been a part of and uplifts the (already great) experience significantly.

The game is also 60fps/4K with an FoV slider on XSX/PS5 and looks stunning as a consequence. Highly recommend.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've got a few for you.

Battlefront 2. Amazing game that made a great comeback from the initial problems, graphics still hold up to todays best looking MP games . Has very quick progression and always cool stuff to do.

Titanfall 2. Super underrated. People who play are really skilled but there is room for good progression and community is really cool. The game is one of the best of the generation.

Battlefield 4, YES! Oldie but still really good one. Still has a fair amount of people playing and is still really good fun.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I had a lot of fun with Destiny 2 playing Crucible matches (5v5). There is the Gambit mode that is a mix of Cooperative and PvP that works really well as well, I will surely go back to it once I get a next gen console.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The social playlists on the Master Chief Collection are good, generally non-toxic fun. Any mode with "Big Team" in it especially.

Just stay away from the competitive side.