• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Would prefer to play on Xbox Series X or PS5 (also have a Switch).

I played Overwatch some years ago on PC (don't have one anymore) and did put 300 hours into it.
With the new lockdown coming in two days here in Germany I have the itch to sink some time into another MP shooter with the sense of progression like OW gave me in ranked mode.
Don't really want to come back to OW but rather something new.
I never played CoD but I assume the community isn't really fun? RS:Siege seems very complicated with a steep learning curve.

What else is out there that has a healthy and open/helpful community?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is free and finally 60fps/120fps in multiplayer. Tons of gear to play towards.

Resetera´s own Destiny Discord/Thread is a good time as a bonus!

Sep 7, 2020
I can probably tell you my most toxic experiences more than my best communities. I have played alot of RB6 seige on in the past and it does take some time to understand the operators, maps, and strategies. It was also fairly toxic when I played.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
splatoon 2 is great but I'll also throw the latest Plants vs Zombies Battle for the Neighborhood game in there. It's actually pretty fun. Also comes with Game Pass Ultimate if you have that.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd say give Splatoon 2 a whirl. Just a great time where all you have is fun with none of the toxicity at all.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I know you said no Battle Royale, but Fortnite is surprisingly low-toxic and it had a 20vs20 deathmatch mode.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
It isn't a MP shooter necessarily, but you should really give Dead by Daylight a shot. Not only is it crossplay, available on a ton of platforms, AND free on Game Pass, but it is the most dead simple (lol) mp game I have every played while still remaining satisfying and having a huge amount of depth.

The game is legitimately a two button game, which is basically unheard of for serious MP games. There are tons of characters to learn, an immense amount of per character progression, and the community is fine (I haven't experienced anything toxic in my time with it).

I will say, I am sure tons of talented artists work on the game but to my eyes it is the ugliest modern game I have ever played. The character models and faces are just awful, but don't let that push you away because they have something really special with the way they mix simplistic controls, team-vs-solo player dynamics, and progression. If you want to dive deep into the more intricate mechanics you can, but its a blast to just run around and try and fix generators without engaging with the deeper meta beyond that.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Titanfall 2 is good for the most part, but due to the relatively low player numbers you'll mostly play against fairly skilled people.

Quake Champions might be an option, but it has some technical issues and isn't really that popular either. Also doesn't have a progression like OW, but the community is kinda nice.

Also maybe Killing Floor 2, but I only played it on PS4.

Last edited:

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I would suggest Titanfall 2! The most fun movement of any shooter I've played. The player base might be smaller than Seige and COD, but If you put the time in you'll be able to compete with the more experienced players.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
One of the Garden Warfare games.

Edit: Oops you said healthy ... scratch that suggestion. With that said though with the exception of Splatoon (haven't played them), Garden Warfare 1 and 2 were the only MP shooters that I played where I didn't experience, hear or witness any sort of abuse.
*Played R6 Siege for the past 5 years and a lot of CoD before that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon is the obvious answer, but Titanfall 2 is actually a good call as well. There's a small but substantial audience since the game is on Game Pass/EA Play and has been on sale for a couple bucks multiple times, and I've never really had an issue with the community there. It's also just a monumentally fun game to play.

Dec 15, 2017
I've got to agree with the consensus here and go with Splatoon, though GW2 is a great option as well (not sure how the community is since Battle For Neighborville, but it's by far the better game)

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2, only because it doesn't have random mic support (otherwise I'd have no doubt there would be tons of cursing in Ranked)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will look into Splatoon 2!

Which one? Or does MCC cover an universal MP mode?

i would say halo combat evolved if you want low stakes just straight fun mp with overpowered guns. 2 and 3 are the pinacle to me but they are a little more competitive, still newcomer friendly and quite fun though. There is a reason that multiplayer became a hallmark of the xbox and the xbox 360

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'd have to go out of your way to find a sense of progression and community in Splatoon. There's zero communication and the matches are so bite-sized that they feel inconsequential. That's just me though.

MCC can be extremely rough for newcomers. The matchmaking has a wide leeway with regards to skill and you will have /extremely/ one-sided matches with scrubs and people who have been playing Halo 2 system link with their youth group since 2004.

I think trying to find a game with all of your qualifications is basically impossible. I'd say find a group first then decide on the game.

EDIT: There is a lot of progression in Splatoon in leveling and unlocking different weapons, if that's your thing. I edited my above post.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I've enjoyed Battlefield 1 immensely. Haven't experienced any sort of toxicity, but I do play with mics off so your mileage may vary.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
OP I wouldn't overlook Siege because of the learning curve. There's a robust ranking system so you won't be placed in with extremely high-level players, and with a Next-Gen + Game Pass launch there is likely to be a lot of players in a similar situation, coming in and learning the ropes.

It's my favourite multiplayer game of the last decade, and in my top three best games of last generation. It's so good that it absolutely doesn't need a sequel, and the developers are continuously supporting it. It's quality of life improvements have been excellent, and there's always something new every few months.

The community is generally quite good, too. I played solo most of the time and you find people naturally quite communicative and supportive in play style. The different classes force a level of co-operation that's great if you're playing solo.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Overwatch on PS4 worth it or should I just wait for OW2? Wanting to play some MP shooter to turn my mind off for a while now

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Splatoon 2 and Fortnite are the most accessible and non toxic in my experience, especially Splatoon.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
You don't really have to interact with the community in COD so I'd just say that. It's easy enough to turn your brain off and just run and gun around for a bit.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, Splatoon is just very good - it's like the Rocket League of shooters where losing is not completely soul-crushing like with most other competitive online games.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Can't say I recall anyone even speaking to one another in Titanfall 2, and that's the best multiplayer shooter ever released, so play that.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2

It's so good I have to force myself to uninstall it from time to time just so I play other games.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Yeah, Splatoon is just very good - it's like the Rocket League of shooters where losing is not completely soul-crushing like with most other competitive online games.
Splatoon 2 is pretty easily my most played game ever. I have had many soul-crushing losses lol.

Anyway, it's the right answer. The lack of voice chat helps tone down the toxicity. You have to play a decent amount of Turf Wars to unlock the Ranked modes, and honestly everyone in there is pretty chill. The Ranked modes are incredible, and Rainmaker is basically the most fun multiplayer game I've ever touched.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
MCC is obviously amazing but no so "accessible" as you can encounter some peeps that have been playing some of these maps for 15 to 20 years. You can get crushed quite quickly, especially as this is not the most played game around (even if cross play has helped a lot).

My suggestion would actually be Rogue Company. It can be a bit tense but not everybody's playing "the meta", I don't remember having any toxic encounter in like 20/30 hours (at least in a language I understand haha) and being F2P means it's a low risk pick! Give it a try!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Pure PvP, probably R6S (toxic and steep lurking curve). However it is on XGP and 120fps. MCC is also a good suggestion but I imagine you have had your fill of Halo.

Destiny 2 would be an easy recommendation especially since it's on XGP so you get to play and enjoy the other campaigns as well but it requires a fair amount of playing before diving into PvP. Stasis also makes for some hectic/BS situations right now.

I bounced off Splatoon 2 but others seem to love it.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a Ranked Mode? Is it not good?

There is, it's inaccessible until you reach ranked 10. I dabbled in it and it didn't grab me because the games are so bite-sized (5 mins vs normal 3 mins for turf war) and there's zero communication, so I personally don't think it really has that competitive appeal that ranked play has where you've been playing against the same team for an extended back-and-forth match. Siege can go up to overtime in a ninth round and CS: GO/Valorant are best of 30 rounds. The time investment is high, but it allows for mini-rivalries to develop in the course of a match. It's always satisfying to come from behind or frustrating to lose a lead. Shorter matches does away with that aspect altogether.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I think you'd have to go out of your way to find a sense of progression and community in Splatoon. There's zero communication and the matches are so bite-sized that they feel inconsequential. That's just me though.

MCC can be extremely rough for newcomers. The matchmaking has a wide leeway with regards to skill and you will have /extremely/ one-sided matches with scrubs and people who have been playing Halo 2 system link with their youth group since 2004.

I think trying to find a game with all of your qualifications is basically impossible. I'd say find a group first then decide on the game.
What?

There's a crap ton of progression in splatoon. From your first 30 levels, every time you level up you earn a bevy of new weapons. At level 10, you unlock ranked modes, in which you can rank up for C- to S tier for each of the 4 ranked modes. And if you get to A tier, you can play league mode with some friends for ranked battles. There's so much progression for like your first 100 hours or so. It's honestly really impressive.

Also, you can go ahead and do player matches as well, if you want that traditional VC experience. Go ahead and find a discord group that you enjoy playing with.

Also, Ranked modes aren't "bite sized". These matches can last you a good while too.

I will echo again, Splatoon 2 is definitely the best game for you OP

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Is such a thing even possible?
I think for most or all of the Switch online games there is no mic support.

That sucks for playing with friends but it makes it very child friendly for children to play with strangers. And I guess for adults too who don't want to deal with any bullshit going online.

I am guessing there is no solution for assholes online because Nintendo's method kind of works but you have to think there is a better way to deal with the shitheads.