• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
All the bad stuff is true..the weather, the people, the traffic.

But it is interesting to see a really old Chinese guy that speaks pretty fluent Spanish taking your order at his restaurant.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's aiite if have a plan and know people. It's pretty trash otherwise.

Lots of shallow flakes here, materialism is at LA-levels, with a high mix of New Yorker standoffishness and unfriendliness mixed in thanks to the snowbirds.

NEVER come to Florida during the summer months. Unless you have a compelling reason to come to Miami, Tampa is probably the better experience overall.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
this is also quite true (i don't often see parrots though? haha)
there was a time when pay was decent-ish depending on your field (i made way more here doing EMS than i did in the midwest, for example) but the cost of renting even in cheaper areas has indeed skyrocketed, you're not wrong

Maybe the parrots are more common up in Broward and Palm Beach? I used to work in Hollywood and would see whole flocks sometimes. I'd hear them even more often that I'd see them.

I loved living in South Florida more than any other region of the States that I've been to, but the economy just made it impossible for me. I'm making close to 50% more now and paying the same rent living in a desirable, high CoL coastal city. It's crazy. Maybe when I win the lotto I can come back.

Brichfield

Oct 25, 2017
Just went on vacation there for a few days back in January before all the Corona stuff went down.

It's almost required that you know how to speak some spanish down there since most of the uber drivers only speak spanish. It was honestly really fun getting to practice and learn about their culture.

Also for someone from the northeast US the 80 degree fahrenheit weather was perfect for January. :D

Only thing I didn't really appreciate was South Beach and the culture surrounding it. Seems like you can really let it suck you up if you're not careful. Everything feels very boujee and luxurious which can be a good and bad thing. I went when the superbowl was going on down there and it was crazy how much was happening.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
i will say, the best thing about south beach is how many dogs there are being walked. when i worked at the Best Buy there, every weekend would have at least two dogs come into the store.

a real morale booster

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Just went on vacation there for a few days back in January before all the Corona stuff went down.

It's almost required that you know how to speak some spanish down there since most of the uber drivers only speak spanish. It was honestly really fun getting to practice and learn about their culture.

Also for someone from the northeast US the 80 degree fahrenheit weather was perfect for January. :D

Only thing I didn't really appreciate was South Beach and the culture surrounding it. Seems like you can really let it suck you up if you're not careful. Everything feels very boujee and luxurious which can be a good and bad thing. I went when the superbowl was going on down there and it was crazy how much was happening.

South Beach is a tourist trap in every sense of the word. I have a few friends that live there, and the CoL isn't horrible compared to less popular places in the city, nor are some of the low key venues -- you can have a ton of fun without breaking the bank but you have to be strategic.

If you're only here on vacation and don't know anyone that lives here, you'll be taken advantage of for sure.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
There is also a HUGE difference from the city of Miami, and the rest of Miami. Miami is huge and really different depending where you are.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up in Miami (well, South Miami) was pretty boring. No way to get around on your own without a car. At least not in the part of Kendall I was in. No seasons. Only positives were having a large Colombian and Latino community and great food.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Miami is great place to live in. Most attractive people anywhere, amazing food, unique culture on to its own, pretty affordable from what I found.
The thing of it is, you have to hustle all day long. People are generally hustling other people there so the fakeness levels are at a constant high.
Also, if you don't know Spanish, you will have a hard time communicating with the locals. Miami Spanish is also not friendly to Mexican Spanish
(you will have a hard time finding Mexicans in Miami). The city itself is small and although there are tons of buildings, it never quite has that
city feel (like New York, Chicago, Philly, etc). Although the skyline view from out on key Biscayne is pretty amazing.

Overall, it is a fun place to vacation to or live. Just know what you are getting into by living there. Tons of driving, constant competition to look
your best and keep up with everyone else, the occasional fakeness from people, and hot humid weather. The people are hot though, very very hot. So much so
its very hard to stay fateful i'd say. Anecdotally, everyone I know who lived in Miami has moved to Chicago or New York.

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
Hollywood born. South Florida is fucking awful. I've relocated to North Central Florida and find it is better in every way.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest thing that struck me there was how rude and antagonistic people were especially in restaurants and bars. It's not necessarily the language barrier as we knew a lot of people would sometimes only speak in Spanish but the attitude was there.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Design District, The Vizcaya Museum and the overall vibe of the city . There's a cool GTA artwork in Wynwood that I took a picture in front of and I'm parading it everywhere. Taking a boat ride was also magnificent. I thought South Beach was nothing special. It's nice but not something that I may not see in any Mediterranean beach that I would go to.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Quite liked Miami South Beach. The main city is a bit bleh but we could bicycle around a lot of it which is pretty unique for the US. New years fireworks were wild. Good food and drinks. Going out means going broke after two drinks though.
The keys are better. Yeah traffic is awful even as a European driver.

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I was in Miami back in 2017 and I had a great time. I think it's a great place to visit with all the venues and I thought the beaches were actually great - and I come from Brazil.

The weather was a bit of a mixed back, I've never felt so gross in my life with the incredible heatwave that seemed to last for the whole time I was there (September and October, if I recall correctly). But there's AC everywhere so if you stick to those spaces and the beach area you're good for these days.

I don't think I interacted much with the locals, basically everyone I stuck conversation with was a tourist.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
People here will hate on it cause it's in Florida and act like it's going under water next week.

I enjoy Miami even in the middle of summer when I visit. Yes it's hot and humid but most of the East coast is as well, so no big deal. Plus you are next to the water so it's more bearable than a place like DC that just has stagnant hot humid air in the summer. It's a very cheap place to visit in summer since it's not peak season.

The city itself is diverse and very big. Downtown is actually a decent size and there is a fair amount of spots (clubs, restaurants, districts etc) over that way to give you more of a local vibe. It's way cheaper on the downtown side than the South beach side as well. They're is still cool spots or areas to check out in South beach but it can be crazy expensive and more touristy. It's fun to just walk around South Beach and find things though.

To me overall it's a beautiful city regardless if it's day or night with amazing architecture and landscape. At night the way the buildings in downtown are lit up can give stunning photos and South Beach is similar with the Art Deco hotels and larger modern condos mixed in.

It's not a city for everyone but is a very unique city. As they say the further south in Florida you go the more northern it becomes. It can feels like a major NE city in some ways with just a little slower pace and more of a Latin/Caribbean feel.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a fan. Got the shot glasses and everything.

You ever see the movie The Pest with John Leguizamo

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Miami is the capital of the Caribbean, central and South America.

has the worlds most beautiful people. (Kinda spoiled me once I left)

doesn't really care about sports

very vain city

horrible traffic Have you BEEN to LA? Miami traffic is just regular old bad.

delicious food (If you like seafood, creole or american food)

beach is overrated as fuck

summer is horribly hot and there's like 4 months where it just rains non stop

there are parts of it that do feel like a movie of course, take a boatride around the city and you'll feel like you're in a movie

dudes like to start fights with you ONLY sometimes.

downtown sucks

coral gables is pretty

Corrected mistakes in red and added detail where needed.

Hazel Nut

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Miami is a nice place to visit but not a good place to live. In the county the medium income is $64,606 and medium sales price for house is $351,250 making it unaffordable to 82% of households in the county. Many people visit thinking it's amazing, then move here and realize finding a good paying job isn't as easy as they thought, traffic is worse then they thought and are surprised at the amount of superficial people here.